What is princess doing?

Corinne Marie

Honestly, while I think a single ship here and there might not be out of the question, Carnival has really depressed the price point down there to where only the mega ships are viable profitable alternatives. From what I have seen, Celebrity and HAL are pulling back as well. Without the high $ shore excursions it simply doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when you factor in higher weather related port cancellation rates (every time a ship cancels a port, Princess loses all the revenue from that port stop with no real cost savings, food costs actually increase).

I sure hope it changes and Princess rethinks some of their itineraries. It would be really nice to see them back sailing in the Caribbean next summer.....closer to home.

Princess does not have one ship going to the Caribbean next summer 2012. They are going to lose there Elite Passengers who love the Caribbean....I guess it will be Royal Caribbean next summer....All of the ships for Princess are either in Europe or Alaska for most of the summer. So disappointed in Princess...:(

Many of the ships are in Europe and Alaska for the summer .......because both are short seasons.....are there are a lot of passengers that want to go there ......and also a lot that want to go back.;)

Never would go to the Caribbean in the summer anyway...too nice at home near the ocean that time of year.Love getting away from bad winters from Jan-May in the Caribbean.

They would almost have to be giving the trip away for me to go that time of year.

Honestly, while I think a single ship here and there might not be out of the question, Carnival has really depressed the price point down there to where only the mega ships are viable profitable alternatives. From what I have seen, Celebrity and HAL are pulling back as well. Without the high $ shore excursions it simply doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when you factor in higher weather related port cancellation rates (every time a ship cancels a port, Princess loses all the revenue from that port stop with no real cost savings, food costs actually increase).

... or having a unique product like Disney ... 3 of their 4 ships next summer will be doing Bahamas/Caribbean itineraries. IMO the people who prefer a DCL product (or Allure/Oasis) for a summer Caribbean cruise aren't the people who can really "escape completely".

Different product, different price for different customers.

Princess is smart...

In the spring and fall, people are looking to get away to warmer climates.

The summers are HOT!!!

Why sail somewhere even HOTTER!!??!!

And of course... being a Floridian... I am well aware of hurricane season. There are too many variables to consider when sailing during the hurricane season. I am glad Princess avoids the re-routing and delays the season brings to lots of sea-going travelers each year!

See you in November, Crown Princess!!

Carnival is the parent company of Princess. Each of the different brands are marketed to a different segment of the population. Carnival makes money no matter how low their price point because they are offering shorter sailings to destinations that appeal to their segment of the market.

Princess is marketed to a different segment of the population. When Carnival first took over Cunard and made it more "Americanized" many of the loyal British passengers would not sail on Cunard ships. What they lost in British passengers, they gained in US passengers.

Right now (excuse the pun), the tide is "favoring" Europe. But in this poor economy we all know that can change in an instant. All you need is some problem in Europe that makes passengers not want to sail from there and the ships will be moved elsewhere where the is the demand for them.

Again, some of the reasons why BruceMuzz feels that US sailings are not as profitable may have little to do with the passenger population and more to do with the price points of the sailings, merchandise sold on board, tours, alcohol prices. Because the Europeans have to pay more for everything than the US passengers who will look for a bargain, they think the prices are reasonable. US passengers do not and will not part with their money so readily. US passengers have taken a bit hit in their pocketbooks and as a result are more savy consumers. They have learned to do more with less.

Europeans get more vacation time than US passengers. They earn more and pay more for everything. Most do not need expensive air fare to get to the ships. If you have to pay a high air fare, you are not willing to spend money on everything that comes your way. Plus, a lot of the US passengers are repeat passengers and there is just so much of the same stuff you can buy. On the other hand, the European passengers tend to be newer to sailing simply because they were not willing to fly across the ocean to board ships on this side of the Atlantic. Now, they can do so without the airfare expense. It is really the reverse of the same economic problem. US passengers left from Europe when air fares were cheaper. Now European passengers can leave from closer to home.

Nothing stays the same forever. The ships will return to the US ports. Just when is the big question.

MARAPRINCE

The mass market cruise lines don't really care what 300 people on one cruise did or did not do. They also don't care what you and your husband spend on a cruise.

We look at 300,000 or 3 million passengers on many hundreds of cruises - and we care very much what those people do.

Based on what we see with those very big numbers, we adjust our business models to maximize revenues and profits.

People who cruise in Europe and Alaska spend far more money onboard ships than people who cruise in the Caribbean.

We don't care where those people come from.

We don't care (very much) which currency they use.

We want more of those people sailing on our ships.

Thank you for your insight, BruceMuzz.

An increasing number of cruise ships are being based in Australia/NZ or visiting during the northern winter.

I suspect these ships will maximise revenue and make their profits on the sale of alcohol. :)

This might be why Dawn Princess has advised its current world cruise passengers that they are limited to one bottle of wine/6 beer at each port of call.

My wife and I have been cruising the Carribean since 1982 (Carnival, RCCL NCL, Disney). I am a teacher, so the summer is really the only time I can do a cruise. I can not afford the airfare to Europe. The cruise lines must make their decisions to maximize the profit of their share holders. I must maximize my limited funds for the best vacation I can get. The cruise lines do not have to dock in the US. I do not have to fly to Europe. While my wife and I love to cruise, we do have a choice. Their are many other options for spending my vacation dollars. If the cruise lines find it more profitable to come back, they will. However, I may end up finding a vacation I like better. If that is the case, it might be difficult to get me to sail again.

How many of us would be willing to cruise from a greater NY, Baltimore or Philadelphia port to the Southern Caribbean area? Aruba and Barbados might be part of a great cruise that could stop at Princess Cays too. A cruise of 7 to 10 days would really make for a very relaxing vacation experience. We have cruised on Carnival once, RCL once, HAL 3 times (as of 12-11), and on Princess seven times. How would this work out during the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas? We now despise flying and would more readily cruise from nearby ports. We do need a handicapped cabin and really appreciate the Princess experiences we have had in the past.

The cruise ship industry can not be all things to all people. As they try to survive in a recessional market, they make decisions. Some are good and some aren't -- depending upon our vantage point. Hurricanes make for nasty travel and eliminating the potential for havoc is probably a good board room decision.

I recently sailed on the Emerald Princess. They made decisions I will not risk subjecting myself to in the future. I think of salt as a food enhancer, not the flavor of the month and taking a laissez faire attitude to the norovirus is unacceptable. When I weighed the positives against the negatives, PCL came out a loser. Several people on the same cruise wrote glowing reports on CC. Is it any wonder that cruise ship companies make decisions that we might be unhappy with? We are hugely diverse clientele.

The honest answer is not enough. RC has cut back from Baltimore, Celebrity has a few out of Bayonne and Disney is sending an older ship out of NYC to try to introduce themselves into that market but no one is really focusing attention there because right now the demand simply doesn't exist on a large scale. That could always change.

How many of us would be willing to cruise from a greater NY, Baltimore or Philadelphia port to the Southern Caribbean area? Aruba and Barbados might be part of a great cruise that could stop at Princess Cays too. A cruise of 7 to 10 days would really make for a very relaxing vacation experience. We have cruised on Carnival once, RCL once, HAL 3 times (as of 12-11), and on Princess seven times. How would this work out during the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas? We now despise flying and would more readily cruise from nearby ports. We do need a handicapped cabin and really appreciate the Princess experiences we have had in the past.

The cruise changes by Princess go beyond the summer, they have also given up their 14 day cruises in the Caribbean in Dec. You can do B2B 7 day cruises but that entails a return to FLL which takes up 3-4 days out of your 14 days. I complained to the agent at Princess but it did no good. The 14 day we were on last Dec. Was full or very close. We refuse to do B2B 7 day cruises to satisfy Princess needs, we have found something else to do during that pre Christmas period. We may cruise with Princess again but it won't be in the Caribbean!

Speaking of the med cruises as many have done, you may have noticed that they have reduced their cruises to 11 or 12 days in the med from what used to be 14. Our 14 day cruise several years ago was one of the best we have done but trying to pack it into 2-3 fewer days at essentially the same price is clearly a sign the cruise lines are watching the bottom line and perhaps to thei long term detriment. Maybe they should consider renovating older ships as opposed to building these new oversized ships that are port limited.

It is a frustrating time for the cruise lines and the passengers, each wanting different things and the cruise lines can call the shots for the short term but avid cruisers rarely forget. My belief is that the cruise lines need/must be more creative in their planning with the consumer in mind and the cruiser should/must be more understanding with the hope that the cruise lines will eventually listen to those who fill their ships.

Oleprof

I sure hope it changes and Princess rethinks some of their itineraries. It would be really nice to see them back sailing in the Caribbean next summer.....closer to home.

Well, I'm with you Corinne Marie. I don't really care why they leave ..... it doesn't stop me from wishing they'd stay. :) Or at the least stay until May or June anyway.

The honest answer is not enough. RC has cut back from Baltimore, Celebrity has a few out of Bayonne and Disney is sending an older ship out of NYC to try to introduce themselves into that market but no one is really focusing attention there because right now the demand simply doesn't exist on a large scale. That could always change.

Sailings out of the NY area go out full and there is never a need to reduce cabin pricing. So the real answer has to be the revenue from alcohol sales on board.

Florida has many lines leaving and very competitive pricing but shorter sailings which tend to bring in more revenue to the lines. Many years we up in the North East longed to have the choices that FL has long enjoyed. Now we are once again losing out to another part of the world.

Used to be only the older ships were sent to Europe since it didn't make sense to send new ones there due to the many ports of call. Newer ships have more things to do on board and they tend to have more sea days to enjoy what there is to do.

MARAPRINCE

I booked NCL this time because I couldn't find a Caribbean tour that met my needs on Princess. Very sad but maybe I will like NCL better! I am excited to try out their more lazy dress anytime any restaurant style and no need for formal wear! I usually love dressing up but lately, not so much.

I wouldn't go to the Caribbean during the summer on any ship-it's hurricane season there-wouldn't risk it.

I have sailed on 14 cruises-all in June and July- without a problem. I guess I am just lucky.

Michele,

It depends on your definition of "doing well".

Remember that we do not make any money selling cruises.

We make money selling things to you once you get aboard.

If a cruise ship in Europe is only half full, it still makes far more money than a completely full ship in the Caribbean.

If we manage to fill the ship in Europe by giving away half the cabins, we still make even more money - and profit - than a full ship in the Caribbean.

Does that have anything to do with many Caribbean passengers sinply going to a beach & the line not making enough money from excursions?

I would guess many more people take actual excursions in Europe?

I booked NCL this time because I couldn't find a Caribbean tour that met my needs on Princess. Very sad but maybe I will like NCL better! I am excited to try out their more lazy dress anytime any restaurant style and no need for formal wear! I usually love dressing up but lately, not so much.

It's not just NCL either; many of the cruiselines are adding new restaurants that come with an additional per person cover charge.

My thought was excursion revenue. Going from NYC to the carib you have more sea days (no excursions) and are focused on ports that many people have been to, thus limiting the number as well. And prices are lower.

Looking at our 2012 cruise, it's perfectly reasonable that I will spend $500 per port on excursions, maybe more, and thats booking on my own. Most ship tours on a per person basis are WAY above Carib pricing.

Sailings out of the NY area go out full and there is never a need to reduce cabin pricing. So the real answer has to be the revenue from alcohol sales on board.

Florida has many lines leaving and very competitive pricing but shorter sailings which tend to bring in more revenue to the lines. Many years we up in the North East longed to have the choices that FL has long enjoyed. Now we are once again losing out to another part of the world.

Used to be only the older ships were sent to Europe since it didn't make sense to send new ones there due to the many ports of call. Newer ships have more things to do on board and they tend to have more sea days to enjoy what there is to do.

MARAPRINCE

The cruise changes by Princess go beyond the summer, they have also given up their 14 day cruises in the Caribbean in Dec. You can do B2B 7 day cruises but that entails a return to FLL which takes up 3-4 days out of your 14 days. I complained to the agent at Princess but it did no good. The 14 day we were on last Dec. Was full or very close. We refuse to do B2B 7 day cruises to satisfy Princess needs, we have found something else to do during that pre Christmas period. We may cruise with Princess again but it won't be in the Caribbean!

Oleprof

I agree that it is a down & dirty shame that the 14-day Caribbean is no longer available. I was going to book a few months ago when there was one on the schedule for April '12....just needed to get on a cruise to pick up a "future cruise booking". By the time I could book, it was GONE! So, decided to do 14-day Hawaii instead for hubby's big birthday, although I'd really rather be in the Caribbean. Even B-2-B out of San Juan was not attractive.

I would love to try one of them, but their pricing is insane. When we eventually do book, it will have to be for 14 days. I don't think you can appreciate a ship of that size in only seven days. Like I said..............eventually.

Oh, Pia, I'm disappointed....you on a monster? Maybe one of those inside "balconies" with all the noise from pool, loudspeakers, zipliners flying by, etc? Naw, not for me.

Carol

European sailing must really be hurting between political unrest, the value of the dollar declining, cost of airfare and the fact that their is too much competition. This is what I just received from Costa. I have never even been to their website.

6939.01.PC_PG_03.gif

Oh, Pia, I'm disappointed....you on a monster? Maybe one of those inside "balconies" with all the noise from pool, loudspeakers, zipliners flying by, etc? Naw, not for me.

Carol

They look interesting and lots going on. I'm "game", but never in an inside cabin.

European sailing must really be hurting between political unrest, the value of the dollar declining, cost of airfare and the fact that their is too much competition. This is what I just received from Costa. I have never even been to their website.

6939.01.PC_PG_03.gif

Costa, where everyone smokes anywhere they can. Where nobody obeys rules. They are hurting because the American market has shut them out. Actually, now all the Princess smokers may go to Costa.

Archived