What is princess doing?

Corinne Marie

Princess does not have one ship going to the Caribbean next summer 2012. They are going to lose there Elite Passengers who love the Caribbean....I guess it will be Royal Caribbean next summer....All of the ships for Princess are either in Europe or Alaska for most of the summer. So disappointed in Princess...:(

Princess does not have one ship going to the Caribbean next summer 2012. They are going to lose there Elite Passengers who love the Caribbean....I guess it will be Royal Caribbean next summer....All of the ships for Princess are either in Europe or Alaska for most of the summer. So disappointed in Princess...:(

Hugh profits are made on those itineraries. Average passenger puchase of shore excursions thru the ship is 85% or better where as it is under 50% is the Caribbean and under 30% along the Mexican Riviera.

Europeans tend to run up bigger bar bills too.

It's all about the $$$'s.

Princess wants to lose their elite passengers who cruise the Caribbean in the summer.

These people have no money, and are just looking for a cheapie holiday.

At the end of the day, cruise lines are not charities. Their shareholders expect them to make a profit every week of the year.

A ship in Alaska or Europe in summer easily makes triple the money - or more - than it makes in the Caribbean.

In the end, everybody wins.

You get a cheap Caribbean cruise in summer on RCCL.

Princess shareholders make a nice profit in Europe and Alaska.

Having a ship in the Caribbean last summer was an aberration, and they had to discount too much to fill it. Back to Europe. (Celebrity made the same decision). EM

This is entirely correct. Elite passengers weren't filling Emerald Princess last year during the summer so Princess decided to move her where she can make some money.

Why take a chance on damaging an expensive asset and having miserable passengers, if route is comprised of dodging hurricanes and other summer storms.

I love that there are so many interesting options in Europe!:D

Princess wants to lose their elite passengers who cruise the Caribbean in the summer.

These people have no money, and are just looking for a cheapie holiday.

At the end of the day, cruise lines are not charities. Their shareholders expect them to make a profit every week of the year.

A ship in Alaska or Europe in summer easily makes triple the money - or more - than it makes in the Caribbean.

In the end, everybody wins.

You get a cheap Caribbean cruise in summer on RCCL.

Princess shareholders make a nice profit in Europe and Alaska.

Dare I guess you are a shareholder? ;)

Princess did not have a ship in the Carib in 2008 or 2009. Then they brought the Emerald in for 2010 and again, no ships for 2011 or 2012. I venture to guess there will be one in 2013. Probably the new Royal.

Having a ship in the Caribbean last summer was an aberration, and they had to discount too much to fill it. Back to Europe. (Celebrity made the same decision). EM

We took our first Princess cruise in 2006 and were hooked. At this point in our lives we are only interested in 7 day Caribbean cruises, so I had been watching to see if Princess would put a ship in the Caribbean during the summer out of FLL, and last year they finally did. However, I tried to watch prices and the cheapest I ever saw for a inside cabin was $699 and that was even for sailings as close as two weeks out. Too high for me, so we never considered booking. I guess what I am trying to say is, I didn't see them having to discount much, if at all close to sailing. Perhaps they did, but I didn't see it.

Overall though, I'm sure it wasn't as profitable as the Alaska and Europe routes and that will win every time....

Mike

We took our first Princess cruise in 2006 and were hooked. At this point in our lives we are only interested in 7 day Caribbean cruises, so I had been watching to see if Princess would put a ship in the Caribbean during the summer out of FLL, and last year they finally did. However, I tried to watch prices and the cheapest I ever saw for a inside cabin was $699 and that was even for sailings as close as two weeks out. Too high for me, so we never considered booking. I guess what I am trying to say is, I didn't see them having to discount much, if at all close to sailing. Perhaps they did, but I didn't see it.

Overall though, I'm sure it wasn't as profitable as the Alaska and Europe routes and that will win every time....

Mike

Cruise fares are only part of the equation. Shore excursions made up a lot of revenue in Europe and are waaaaayyy more expensive than the Caribbean. Onboard spending is also higher in Europe.

CHEAP CRUISES IN THE SUMMER FOR THE CARIBBEAN? HAVE YOU CHECKED THE SUMMER PRICES OF R.C. AND CARNIVAL......JUST FOR INSIDE CABINS? GET REAL. FAMILIES WITH KIDS CRUISE IN THE SUMMER.........I live in Florida..the word we hear is that the Europe Market is Hurting..deep price cutting there..ditto Alaska......but the Caribbean is booming.

I was just on an Inter Line travel site...looking for a not so expensive get away in September..as we have a pricey one booked for New Year's......and WHOAAA....The Allure of the Seas......is starting at over $1,000 for an inside..and on R.C. that is the size of a shoebox. The Carnival Valor..not one of my favorites......is booking insides......at over $700........and they are all sailing full.......or so the money pages of my newspaper says.......

Princess...should put one cruise ship..going to somewhere other than St.Martein and St. Thomas..and/or Cozumen.Belize..Honduras...go .....The Dominican Republic.Costa Rica..without Panama....Bonaire..Martinque...Barbatos...In the summer..mind..I know they go there in the winter.........and I bet they would sail full on each ship..

Cruise Lines so not make any money selling cruises.

They only make money when they they carry passengers who spend plenty onboard.

Summer Caribbean cruisers are the worst spenders. We are lucky to get them to part with $40 per day.

Alaska cruisers are far better at around $100 per day.

Europe is one of the best at close to $200 per day.

When you look at $200 per day versus $40 per day, we can give away the cabins in Europe and still make more money than in the Caribbean.

It is all about money. but why would anyone want to take a Caribbean cruise with the risks of a hurricane spoiling everything. For me I am very glad they don't risk their ships or passengers to cruise to the Caribbean during hurricane season. Just read some of the reviews and blogs from Carnival about ticked off passengers who have a cruise diverted because of the weather. Also safety with Princess is number one. On my last Caribbean cruise, spring of 2010, their was a robbery on a Celeberty tour bus in St Kitts. Princess rerouted the ship to another island while Celeberty only cancelled that tour. Which ship would you now rather be on, Celeberty or Princess. I was very glad Princess diverted to another island.

Summer Caribbean cruisers are the worst spenders. We are lucky to get them to part with $40 per day.

When you look at $200 per day versus $40 per day, we can give away the cabins in Europe and still make more money than in the Caribbean.

Is this mainly due to the booking of excursions? Or is this onboard spending for other items? Just curious.

As a side note RCCL has reduced the number of ships in the Caribbean as well. I was looking for 2012 and the Oasis and Allure were pretty much it.

There's not much else they can do with those two monsters.

What about all the revenue they make from sales commissions at Diamonds International and the other recommended shops ashore? Passengers shop heavily in the Caribbean and part of the sales revenue from those shops goes to the cruise lines.

With the economy as bad as it is, the cruise lines are lucky to have bookings!

Forget about passing along fuel surcharges -- base prices have risen tremendously!

My sailing up to Canada within the next 2 weeks is completely sold out -- not a spare cabin. There is a US market but the cruise lines would rather go overseas and bill everything in Euros vs. US $ because they can charge more. They are going to lose US customers and at some point moving so many ships overseas will backfire on them.

MARAPRINCE

What about all the revenue they make from sales commissions at Diamonds International and the other recommended shops ashore? Passengers shop heavily in the Caribbean and part of the sales revenue from those shops goes to the cruise lines.

With the economy as bad as it is, the cruise lines are lucky to have bookings!

Forget about passing along fuel surcharges -- base prices have risen tremendously!

My sailing up to Canada within the next 2 weeks is completely sold out -- not a spare cabin. There is a US market but the cruise lines would rather go overseas and bill everything in Euros vs. US $ because they can charge more. They are going to lose US customers and at some point moving so many ships overseas will backfire on them.

MARAPRINCE

Cruise lines don't charge anything in Euros. It's all done in US$

There's not much else they can do with those two monsters.

It's exactly what those ships are designed to do ... not many places for them to dock, and the weekly turnover provides the constant revenue stream necessary to pay for and maintain those behemoths. For those whose primary destination is the ship, and who don't mind sailing with 5000 of their closest friends, I guess it works.

What about all the revenue they make from sales commissions at Diamonds International and the other recommended shops ashore? Passengers shop heavily in the Caribbean and part of the sales revenue from those shops goes to the cruise lines. With the economy as bad as it is, the cruise lines are lucky to have bookings! Forget about passing along fuel surcharges -- base prices have risen tremendously! My sailing up to Canada within the next 2 weeks is completely sold out -- not a spare cabin. There is a US market but the cruise lines would rather go overseas.

MARAPRINCE

Cruise line executives aren't stupid ... the business model is simple: follow the money. During summer months, it's Europe and Alaska right now ... if that ever changes, so will the itineraries. Don't be deluded by either passenger load or price ... it's the sum total and resultant bottom line that counts. Incidentally, one of your statements unintentionally proved this point. With the current economic situation, there's no question that port shopping is taking a hit as well. Folks aren't rushing to Diamonds International with the intention of spending their unemployment compensation on a $5000 engagement ring. The "summer cruisers" are among the least desirable ... many are barely able to afford the cruise itself (especially with the kids) and spend (or don't spend) accordingly. By contrast, Europeans' relatively new-found interest in cruising has resulted in a major uptick in profits ... check Carnival Corp.'s stock price (from a low of about $16 a few years back to about $36 right now (it's been as high as $46). Do you have any idea what it costs to reposition a ship? If it weren't worth it, there wouldn't be dozens over there right now.

As a side note RCCL has reduced the number of ships in the Caribbean as well. I was looking for 2012 and the Oasis and Allure were pretty much it.

Doesn't surprise me, but then where else are Oasis and Allure going to sail? They're too big to dock anywhere else! Also too big for us, they're more for people who want all the activities onboard and don't really care where they dock.

We've sailed RCCL in the past, but like Princess better.:)

Archived