Panama Canal - Eastbount or Westbound

netty12

I am looking at doing a Panama Canal cruise in October/November 2012 and was wondering if anyone has any adivse regarding which way east or west is the better experience. Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Netty

As far as the Canal is concerned, it will be equally rewarding either direction. I would make my decision on the itinerary, ease of the flights ie. connections, times, whether you want to stay near the port for pre/post cruise etc.

I don't think it makes much difference...........but it's funny we have always done West to East. Can't really say why but maybe it is because it is easier living in the Midwest to fly to the West Coast vs. Flying East.....at least the connections see easier.

No, there is difference. West to East is preferrable.

Pacific side locks are more interesting, after that you float on the river into Gatun lake. You see the most interesting part starting in the morning, when you are not tired to absorb the narration and the views.

After the lake you don't have to see anything, you can take a ship tour. Coming from the East the ship would not stop for a tour.

I thought the Caribean side was much more interesting. We passed through with some very interesting ships. Others have said that they have passed through with other cruise ships. By the time we got to the Pacific side the ships were spread out and we had no one next to us and in front of us.

When you go towards the Pacific and I say that because the Pacific side is actually East of the gulf side you gain an hour on many days. Best is the morning of debarkation when you gain an hour during the night. Heading towards Florida you lose an hour on 3 days of your cruise.

Either way, it is a fascinating experience.

Archived