It Isn't ALWAYS Someone Else's Fault.....

sail7seas

I it almost impossible to explain that you are allergic to clams, oysters and scallops (bi-valves) but not allergic to crab, shrimp, or lobster (crustaceans). No one seems to understand the difference. When I order something with crab in it, after I have previously told my server that I cannot chance the bisque because it might be 'flavor enhanced' with clam juice... well, they no longer care what they serve me because, obviously, they think I must be quite insane! :o

So, I simply take responsibility for my own selections... and make sure I have benedryl, and an epi-pen, handy. I don't have a problem with that. I can manage my dining experiences at home without having it spoil my life, so there is no reason to make an issue of it at sea! :D

I it almost impossible to explain that you are allergic to clams, oysters and scallops (bi-valves) but not allergic to crab, shrimp, or lobster (crustaceans). No one seems to understand the difference. When I order something with crab in it, after I have previously told my server that I cannot chance the bisque because it might be 'flavor enhanced' with clam juice... well, they no longer care what they serve me because, obviously, they think I must be quite insane! :o

So, I simply take responsibility for my own selections... and make sure I have benedryl, and an epi-pen, handy. I don't have a problem with that. I can manage my dining experiences at home without having it spoil my life, so there is no reason to make an issue of it at sea! :D

If I were that allergic to bivalves, I think I would just avoid anything that's likely to have clam juice or such in it. Order shrimp or lobster that's prepared simply, and not get into the discussion with a server who is likely to be confused. I guess if you have an allergy, you get used to having to stand ready for a problem. But I'm a coward, and would be afraid to risk anything iffy.

Then there are the passengers like the gentleman at the front desk who was complaining that he and his wife hadn't gotten any dinner one evening. Unfortunately I was called over to the desk before I could hear the response from the crew member who was helping him - the last thing I heard was that the dinnerless evening had happened on their previous cruise! :confused: I don't think I would have been able to keep a straight face.

This is so true. There are complainers, high maintenance people (or looking for a freebie?) and then there are people who are having a great time. I don't understand why some people cruise. they don't seem to be very happy. :confused: Everyone has issues. You either deal with it, get it fixed or just move on. Just depends upon how important it is to you.

I love Lisa's points. We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and our own good time. The glass can either be half full or half empty - it's really up to the individual - those with it half full seem to have a much better time:D

Dear Readytocruise again,

I appreciate your thoughts, and maybe you are correct. However when I was a school nurse we had confirmed (by health dept. testing) norovirus in two schools. It came on very suddenly (like my family) and lasted 24 hours, which is what the HD described as well. The kids tended to feel punk for a couple of days, but really aren't sick after about 24 hours. Since it's common on ships, that's what we assumed, and the ship doc thought so too and confined them to cabin for 24 hours. The exact diagnosis doesn't really matter, though, since my point was that with a good attitude they enjoyed the cruise anyway.

Allergies? I'm allergic to all seafood, nuts (peanuts and cashews okay), raw vegitables (lettuce, broccoli & cauli okay) and raw fruit (melon, citrus and tomato okay).

My caveat is that I seem to be okay with "traces of" the things I'm allergic to. I eat mindfully and carry an epi-pen. I've only had to use it once in 25 years (and not on a boat/ship).

Like others I pre-plan my meals while on the ship. And bring the benedryl.

Cheers,

Deb

Ariawoman, Seabourn's been on my "must try" list, but if I have the same experience there it will be another "one and done".

I believe the purpose of service is to meet the needs and reasonable desires of those served, not to conform to some steward's job description. I firmly believe "They also serve who only stand and wait".

Roy

I have to say, that's NOT the case with Seabourn. At times I'd try to rush so they'd not notice me there, but never fail, they always spotted me and wanted to carry my plate for me LOL.

Not a bad problem to have, so to speak, just a very different level of attention and service.

ariawoman, they're still on my priority list and I'm sure I'll have no regrets about having tried them. I've never regretted a cruise, even with the companies I'm unlikely to revisit.

Roy

Sail: Many thanks for your OP. It's the best I have ever seen on cc. It should be required reading for all passengers no matter if its their first or twenty first cruise.

totally agree so many hundreds of percents I can't express it:D

Thanks, everyone.

I felt it was time something of this sort was said. :)

Modern society seems to have drifted to a point many (probably unconciously) keep thinking everything negative that happens in their life is 'someone else's fault'.

Modern society seems to have drifted to a point many (probably unconciously) keep thinking everything negative that happens in their life is 'someone else's fault'.

And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, taking responsibility is so empowering! If it's my fault, I can fix/change it - no one else will be as motivated!

24-hour illness is not generally norovirus, which takes 3 days to run its course. More likely food poisoning. Just saying...

CDC quotes 1 to 2 days for noro. My case was 24 hrs almost to the exact minute with one day of weakness afterwards.

CDC.gov has an entire section Norovirus. And many different kinds of food poisoning which lasts sometimes for more than a week.

Thanks, everyone.

I felt it was time something of this sort was said. :)

Accountable to entitled is the drift I have seen, but my own drift has moved into curmudgeony land so who knows. But this drift I also sense happened over "our" lifetime, I do believe. Pre and early boomer generation years -- there was a major cultural shift in the mid 1960's remember. Almost a night and day difference between generations. The Silent Generation morphed into the Age of Aquarius.

A profound observation was made contemporaneously about this period of time by Rollo May in his book "Love and Will" - he saw it was going to become the Age of Addiction and not a new age of enlightenment -- and I do believe he was right.

I also think it has a lot to do with this now senior generation many of us are members were some of the last to be raised by Depression Age parents who taught very different values tempered from their own life experiences we cannot even imagine during their formative years. But honesty and the work ethic came with the territory - we were dutiful and grateful and felt entitled to very little. And probably not a lot of fun either.:rolleyes:

I completely agree with Sail too. People seem to assume that crew members are either psychic or don't have any other passengers to attend to. I've seen posts where an entire cruise was "ruined" because a waiter didn't remember someone's (out of hundreds) name. If you have food allergies then it's YOUR responsibility to ensure you aren't served it just like in restaurants at home. And if it means repeating your requirements at every meal then so be it.

It's all about the gross sense of entitlement that people seem to have these days and the whiff of a big fat lawsuit if they decide they can blame someone else for their own shortcomings. Nobody takes personal responsibility for anything any more and there's a lot of rich lawyers out there to prove it.

I completely agree with Sail too. People seem to assume that crew members are either psychic or don't have any other passengers to attend to. I've seen posts where an entire cruise was "ruined" because a waiter didn't remember someone's (out of hundreds) name. If you have food allergies then it's YOUR responsibility to ensure you aren't served it just like in restaurants at home. And if it means repeating your requirements at every meal then so be it.

It's all about the gross sense of entitlement that people seem to have these days and the whiff of a big fat lawsuit if they decide they can blame someone else for their own shortcomings. Nobody takes personal responsibility for anything any more and there's a lot of rich lawyers out there to prove it.

I agree you that it is my responsibility BUT to a point. When you tell them that you are allergic to shellfish. You pre-order your food the night before, you ask they three time that night about the food you pre order. the waiters ask the chef (two times) and I still got shell fish in my dinner It is then NOT my responsibility. So what I am saying, no matter how careful a person is, things can still happen.

But a person with an allergy must do what they can to try not to get the wrong food. But some times stuff happens.

Maria

Yes,Maria.......

Of course, there are always exceptions to most everything in life. But what we see is a general scenario and the fringe exceptions are just that.

As an example, I have a question.....

If you happen to have diabetes or any other food limiting disease, you are used to eating appropriately for your disease every day of your life. When you go to the grocery market, do you have a Chef who accompanies you to say what to plan for dinners and what to buy or do you know for yourself what belongs in your grocery basket?

If you check in a hotel, do you need a consultation with the Hotel Manager, Culinary Operations manager and maybe Maitre d' or do you figure out for yourself what foods on the menu should be on your plate and order accordingly?

Do you need to see a special 'spa menu' in every restaurant where you dine or do you pick from the restaurant's regular menu?

Do you need to consult with the Maitre d' or host at every restaurant where you eat?

Then why is all this suggest as necessary/demanded/expected on a cruise ship?

I am not without disease but I know my proper diet and I handle it. We are not incapable children who need constant hand holding...... :eek:, or are we? :o

As someone who needs to limit my sodium intake due to medical reasons, the answer to your questions above is "Yes" (with the exception of grocery shopping) -- especially since I can't see what happens during preparation. My issue is not as dire as a deadly allergy because one high-sodium meal can be offset by strict reductions later in the day and lots of water. This is much more easily done for a single meal out than for multi-day trip where someone else is in charge of food prep.

So, I do question servers and chefs on a regular basis ... often by calling the restaurant mid-day to make arrangements. On a cruise ship, their process is to preorder from a designated person (who is more familar with kitchen prep) one day in advance. Frankly, I consider this consumer research, not hand-holding.

Yes,Maria.......

Of course, there are always exceptions to most everything in life. But what we see is a general scenario and the fringe exceptions are just that.

I agree with you. I feel we all must know that there are exception in life. And of course there are those who feel the waiters are mind readers and think the cruise Line is at fault all the time. I have ate dinner with people (who after they see me pre -order dinner) say to me that they can't eat nuts. And I say to them have you told the cruise line. And the answer is NO. They think that they will see it in the food. I told them you can't see or taste it some times. The way that they were handling it in my mind was not right.

Maria

Yes,Maria.......

Thank goodness for the fringe exceptions. Without them life would be dreary, dull, and predictable. :)

Smooth sailing...

Archived