Visa fees

Hi All

My wife and I are booked for the Cherry Blossom cruise next year on Sea Princess and are a bit dismayed at some of the Visa costs to enter some of the scheduled ports of Call, Brunei for instance costs $99.20 each for an entry visa, Shanghai, China $220.70 and Rabaul, New Guinea, $114.20.

It hardly seems worth it for a couple of hours ashore.

Do these visa entry fees apply to cruise ship passengers.

The information I got applied to entry by aircfraft and did not mention cruise ships so I am wondering if it applies to the ship passengers.

Can someone please enlighten me?

John

For Australian passport holders it is $40 for single entry and $60 for double entry..dont know how many ports you are visiting.

When I did Cherry Blossom a couple of years ago all the other visas were done onboard only the China one had to be done beforehand. Check with your T/A or Princess Australia. We did not pay prices as high as these.

I think the price you have is for a US passport holder.

Sue

As far as I am aware the only Visa we need to get is for China.

The ship looks after the rest and it is charged to your shipboard account, but only like $20.

However check it out with your TA.

They will know.

You are not going there to live...only calling for the day:D

It's up to the country what they require, but the cruise line knows passengers wouldn't be too happy to fork out so much for a little time, so normally visit 'visitor-friendly' places. However, that may not apply if you're not the target market for a ship e.g. if it was an African citizen on board they couldn't rely on the cruise line visa arrangements so may have to pay a larger amount if they wanted to disembark.

In this case, best to check with the cruise line what the cost will be as long as you have local citizenship.

so may have to pay a larger amount if they wanted to disembark.

My understanding is that you also have to get these Visas (in one way or another) - even if you don't intend to disembark. That was certainly the case for India during our recent P&O cruise to the UK - and even for the countries (Egypt and Vietnam) where the ship itself obtained visas for everybody onboard, there was no suggestion that they would not obtain these visas for people who were not intending to disembark. I got charges for those Visas automatically added to my onboard account - and nobody asked me whether I was disembarking or not!

I would not dare to comment regarding the need for Visas by the OP - this need depends on a person's Nationality, and also where they were born - but they CAN be expensive . India is one place where they are indeed expensive!!!!

Barry

Hi All

My wife and I are booked for the Cherry Blossom cruise next year on Sea Princess and are a bit dismayed at some of the Visa costs to enter some of the scheduled ports of Call, Brunei for instance costs $99.20 each for an entry visa, Shanghai, China $220.70 and Rabaul, New Guinea, $114.20.

It hardly seems worth it for a couple of hours ashore.

Do these visa entry fees apply to cruise ship passengers.

The information I got applied to entry by aircfraft and did not mention cruise ships so I am wondering if it applies to the ship passengers.

Can someone please enlighten me?

John

Hi John, certainly PNG does..you have to get your Visa pre cruise from PNG Embassy. We were there on Pacific Princess, 5 yrs ago.

We give zillions in Aid to PNG and they hit us for Visas.

I am sure China the same - no exemption for ships pax.

A friend (Aussie born and bred here with an Australian Passport) recently came back from a Diamond Princess cruise around Asia which included Vietnam, China, Vladivostock (I think).

She said she paid for an agency in Sydney to get her multiple entry visa to China - it was expensive but she didn't have the hassle of it.

She told me that Princess took care of all the other visas for all passengers ...

While on the subject. Indonesian transit visa for cruiseship pax entering Bali. Is one required?

Our TA told us that we need one for Bali, but it would be organised on the ship and added to our onboard account. Have not checked any further than this yet. Will be interested if you come up with the same info!

Our TA told us that we need one for Bali, but it would be organised on the ship and added to our onboard account. Have not checked any further than this yet. Will be interested if you come up with the same info!

G'day Raison, think I will do as suggested by others, leave it for on board. Fee is $25 through Indonesian Consulate in Canberra, not sure what P&O UK will charge us on board, probably double, they have to make a quid somehow.

NWSP

Les

Do you pay the visa fees whether you get off the ship or stay on board and dont go ashore?

There seems to be some confusion in previous posts regarding this.

John

NWSP

Les

Do you pay the visa fees whether you get off the ship or stay on board and dont go ashore?

There seems to be some confusion in previous posts regarding this.

John

Not sure mate, but $25 is nothing really, when you are paying big $ out for a big trip. But rest assured, will be going ashore, not been to Bali before. I never miss going ashore. Crikey, am on the ship for 49 days, got to get ashore old son, replenish the wine supplies!

"Do you pay the visa fees whether you get off the ship or stay on board and dont go ashore?

There seems to be some confusion in previous posts regarding this."

No confusion - the answer is definitely YES.

Barry

"Do you pay the visa fees whether you get off the ship or stay on board and dont go ashore?

There seems to be some confusion in previous posts regarding this."

No confusion - the answer is definitely YES.

Barry

Hi BAZZAW - Barry. Nice to hear from you. See I am on your ship -Arcadia?' Doing the opposite run to you, but via Africa, not Suez. I read all all your blogs from Oriana and Arcadia. well done. Picked up some good info.

SO, did you get your Indonesian Visa on board, if you called in there, that is.

Archived