Hawaii in Nov/Dec

nojoke

We are strongly considering a cruise to Hawaii in late Nov./early Dec. this year. Looking at the weather--the highest probability of rain seems to be at that time. Is that a worry or not? Do any of you experienced cruisers have any advice? Thanks!

I have been in Hawaii in November and December several times. It can rain, but it probably won't. In my experience it has rained more in March when we have been there. But the rain was never a problem. Plus it will be warm. I wouldn't cancel the trip because of the possibility of rain.

There's a saying on the islands along the lines of...

"If it is raining where one is at, just go a couple valleys over and the sun will be out."

With so many micro climates on the islands one can usually find the sunshine somewhere most days. There are some places on the islands that receive an average of 400+ inches of rain a year whereas another location only twenty miles away averages a scant 20 inches annually.

island_map_0_style1.jpg

island_map_2_style1.jpg

island_map_3_style1.jpg

island_map_1_style1.jpg

No rain. No rainbows.:cool:

thanks to those of you who so kindly encouraged us to go ahead with our plans of a cruise to Hawaii in Nov/Dec. That's what we were hoping to hear!

Also, thanks for the rainfall diagrams of the islands. Fascinating!

We are going to Hawaii in December for 2 reasons: (1) to see the whales we saw in Alaska last August. (I am a CPA and cannot go Jan-Apr. 15)

(2) just as we went to Alaska last August to escape the approximate 100 degrees every day we were gone, we expect the Hawaii weather to be lots better than Tennessee weather in December (although December is usually fairly mild here & is often 60's or so, it could be cold.)

We are going to Hawaii in December for 2 reasons: (1) to see the whales we saw in Alaska last August. (I am a CPA and cannot go Jan-Apr. 15)

(2) just as we went to Alaska last August to escape the approximate 100 degrees every day we were gone, we expect the Hawaii weather to be lots better than Tennessee weather in December (although December is usually fairly mild here & is often 60's or so, it could be cold.)

LOL! That sounds like us. I live in Texas. Last year, we went to Alaska in July and it was in the 100's while we were gone. Went in late Nov/early Dec and it was cold here too. Great minds think alike!!! :D

LOL! That sounds like us. I live in Texas. Last year, we went to Alaska in July and it was in the 100's while we were gone. Went in late Nov/early Dec and it was cold here too. Great minds think alike!!! :D

Can't imagine why everyone doesn't think that way :rolleyes: Being comfortable is of utmost importance to me from the temperature surrounding me to the food in my tummy. Oh, and my idea of camping out is a small balcony stateroom on the POA :D

It rains in Hawaii all year. The differences are how much (varies by month and year) and where (more on the windward sides--for example, the 100+ inches/year average in Hilo--and less on the leeward sides--for example, the 12 inches or so on average on the Kohala coast on the same island). Many years, the rainiest months are between December and March, but some years it can be quite wet in April or October and not that wet in January and February.

No matter when you visit, you will almost certainly have rain at some point. That's one reason so much of Hawaii is nice and green. Most of the time the rain will be short showers, except places where it's very wet all year (search for the rainiest spot in Hawaii, which gets more than 300 inches per year). Sometimes a storm will "park" itself over one or more of the islands and stay for a few days. You just never know. Please don't let the idea of rain deter you from visiting at any time of year. We've visited in November and December three times and loved it every time. It is a gorgeous time of year there.

beachchick

OP , we are booked on a cruise right after Thanksgiving also, and are looking forward to it, we have done the same cruise in Oct. previously , we got a little rain , but really it did not matter at all. just pack a small umbrella that you can stash in your day tote and you will be fine, plus a little rain is nice.

Cori

Archived