One Way Flights to Europe

momofmeg

HI momofmeg it is great to see you back. We are looking at T.A. from Rome to N.J. oct 22 2011 . but when we saw the airfares OUCH! over two thousand each one way from Phila. If any one can help Please . I would go to Newark if it was worthwhile

Did you check buying it through the cruiseline? It is about the same cost as roundtrip if you book through the cruiseline-this is probably what we will do-although we have skymiles for one ticket-the other ticket would be $2000 and the skymiles ate up completly for the one ticket.

You do not have to buy it through the cruiseline for the day before the cruise-you can buy even a week or more before.

HI momofmeg it is great to see you back. We are looking at T.A. from Rome to N.J. oct 22 2011 . but when we saw the airfares OUCH! over two thousand each one way from Phila. If any one can help Please . I would go to Newark if it was worthwhile

If you're willing to fly out of JFK, you can go on Air Berlin via DUS for $557.

If you're willing to fly out of JFK, you can go on Air Berlin via DUS for $557.

Wow-that is a great price-I hope it is that good in 2012-of course, I was told a similar price form a person on our roll call (Jersey Girl) who also is doing a TA this year in October, besides next year November 2012 with us. She booked her air on US Airways and had a diagram for choosing her seat and got this through the cruiseline air. (RCI-this year for her)

So, I'll be looking at getting one way, STL to BCN for October 2012.

Have done lots of checking and research and will be checking the true one way carriers (LOT, Iceland, etc) or I'll have enough miles to get saver economy or business. Will have to check thru the airlines too although I know those are consolidator tickets too.

But just to consider all the options, are there some on line travel places that aren't as bad as cheapo -like vyama or t-city or xped..?

If you can go from ORD, Pakistan International Airways fly ORD-BCN non-stop; I just did a sample booking anfor this sept and it was $438.90 one way; one of the few airlines with a full discounted one-way into BCN non-stop.

If you can go from ORD, Pakistan International Airways fly ORD-BCN non-stop; I just did a sample booking anfor this sept and it was $438.90 one way; one of the few airlines with a full discounted one-way into BCN non-stop.

Pakistan Airways, after it got decertified for flight into the EU and got it's ducks in a row, has improved greatly. It is now even on the DOD approved list for carriers flying into Islamabad and Peshawar.

And it is competing heavily with Air India, which has also greatly improved service, planes and safety.

PIA is also trying to compete with the Middle Eastern airlines into Dubai. Have to do some work in that area due to the extremely high level of customer and flight service with Middle Eastern Airlines.

Most in the USA would turn up their noses at a PIA flight without even investigating. It will probably be a FAR better flight than most USA airlines. And the price is sure right.

Wow-that is a great price-I hope it is that good in 2012-of course, I was told a similar price form a person on our roll call (Jersey Girl) who also is doing a TA this year in October, besides next year November 2012 with us. She booked her air on US Airways and had a diagram for choosing her seat and got this through the cruiseline air. (RCI-this year for her)

PLEASE read through this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425224&page=5

JerseyGirl tried her best to convince us that the cruise line air was FAR superior (due to the price). We all pointed out various ways to get to/from Europe one way for about the same price but on PUBLISHED FARE non consolidator tickets with all the rights and protections a published fare ticket gives you. What JerseyGirl essentially got was 1/2 of a RT ticket. The cruise lines buy tickets at RT pricing and are allowed to sell 1/2 to one passenger and 1/2 to the other.

There is a LARGE difference between MOST of the Choice Air tickets (particularly the cheapest of the Choice Air tickets) and those you buy from the Big 3 Travel agencies or direct from the airline. It all has to do with FARE RULES. You are generally NOT buying the SAME ticket with the same ticketing parameters. May look like the same ticket-same seat, same flight, same time, same airline. But there is a world of difference UNDERNEATH. IF you have flight problems, you are at the bottom of the line for re-accommodation for the majority of consolidator tickets.

PLEASE be aware of what you are buying. Read the sticky at the top of this forum to understand-Choice Air/EZ Air (the cheapest of the tickets) are no different than old style cruise air except YOU do the work. And look to the foreign airlines. You have been given quite a few alternatives for flights. US airlines DO NOT sell cheap one way tickets except to Ireland. Don't even bother looking.

Pakistan Airways, after it got decertified for flight into the EU and got it's ducks in a row, has improved greatly. It is now even on the DOD approved list for carriers flying into Islamabad and Peshawar.

And it is competing heavily with Air India, which has also greatly improved service, planes and safety.

PIA is also trying to compete with the Middle Eastern airlines into Dubai. Have to do some work in that area due to the extremely high level of customer and flight service with Middle Eastern Airlines.

Most in the USA would turn up their noses at a PIA flight without even investigating. It will probably be a FAR better flight than most USA airlines. And the price is sure right.

thank you both for the info. I am within driving distance of ORD and the drive would be worth it for a nonstop to a nice cruise port like Barcelona. Maybe on some future cruise I will be able to try PIA. they seem to only fly that route selected days of the week, so I might find myself with extra time in Spain, oh darn;)

PLEASE read through this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1425224&page=5

JerseyGirl tried her best to convince us that the cruise line air was FAR superior (due to the price). We all pointed out various ways to get to/from Europe one way for about the same price but on PUBLISHED FARE non consolidator tickets with all the rights and protections a published fare ticket gives you. What JerseyGirl essentially got was 1/2 of a RT ticket. The cruise lines buy tickets at RT pricing and are allowed to sell 1/2 to one passenger and 1/2 to the other.

There is a LARGE difference between MOST of the Choice Air tickets (particularly the cheapest of the Choice Air tickets) and those you buy from the Big 3 Travel agencies or direct from the airline. It all has to do with FARE RULES. You are generally NOT buying the SAME ticket with the same ticketing parameters. May look like the same ticket-same seat, same flight, same time, same airline. But there is a world of difference UNDERNEATH. IF you have flight problems, you are at the bottom of the line for re-accommodation for the majority of consolidator tickets.

PLEASE be aware of what you are buying. Read the sticky at the top of this forum to understand-Choice Air/EZ Air (the cheapest of the tickets) are no different than old style cruise air except YOU do the work. And look to the foreign airlines. You have been given quite a few alternatives for flights. US airlines DO NOT sell cheap one way tickets except to Ireland. Don't even bother looking.

Well Jersey Girl goes on her cruise in October. Since my cruise is in Nov. 2012 I can't buy air fare until after she returns anyway. She can let me know how her experience was. We also plan to fly over 9 days or more before our cruise.

I will do the research and weight the pros and cons.

I read the fine print a year ago on CheapOAir. This is one of the consolidators that has a "fly it or loose it" policy.

The T & C's have become even more stringent:

1.You MAY have to claim and recheck your luggage if you are booked on two separate airlines. You MAY have to pay baggage fees on two or more airlines.

"When there are two or more airlines involved for connecting flights then you may have to reclaim your bags at the connecting airport and check-in again to continue your journey."

2. If you cancel, you owe CheapoAir $50. Not counting that the tickets are generally non refundable and have no residual value, although SOME may have a little residual value.

"A cancellation fee of USD 50 must be paid to us at the time of canceling the booking. We retain this fee."

3. IF the airline changes the flight by up to 4 hours, it is "fly it or loose it". Last year it was 3 hours.

"For all such changes within a 4 hour period, tickets will remain non-refundable. Certain ticket types may be non-refundable even when the schedule change is over 4 hours.

CheapOair does not assume any liability whatsoever for canceled flights, flights that are missed, or flights not connecting due to any scheduled changes made by the airlines."

4. NO FF miles on most tickets. NO upgrades, no standbys (even if you miss your connection.

"In most cases, upgrades and standbys will not be permitted. Many of our discounted tickets do not allow for frequent flyer mileage accrual."

5. I REALLY like this one (yes, I know that any fare is NOT guaranteed until it is ticketed but most don't.) They think once they print out the confirmation, it is a done deal:

"At times, even after the confirmation of a reservation, the fare may change. We will notify you of any fare changes and we do not assume any responsibility - financial or otherwise for any such fare changes. We will notify you of the new fare and at that point you may either cancel or still purchase the product at the new cost."

Not only do you have the potential to have your trip go totally sideways, you pay fairly high booking fees on top of all the restrictions. MINIMUM of $26pp for an airline ticket, $32 PER NIGHT for a hotel room. That is for coach tickets. First Class/Business class-$150 per ticket, $100 for multi stop air, $50pp for high fraud/high risk cities (can't find any info what cities are high risk/high fraud so you could get tagged just about anyplace).

STAY AWAY. This company offers NO protection from mishaps along the way. CheapoAir could be VERY costly if things go sideways.

Greatam, are you speaking from personal experience having used cheapoair, or are you indicating the conditions attached to the ticket involve more risk than you are willing to accept?

Greatam, are you speaking from personal experience having used cheapoair, or are you indicating the conditions attached to the ticket involve more risk than you are willing to accept?

Everything in parentheses is a direct quote from the CheapoAir website. Their "fly it or loose it" condition should be a BIG red flag. And I particularly like the part that if YOU cancel, not only do you most likely loose your money but you OWE CheapoAir $50.00.

My company has used CheapoAir to get employees home from trade shows in Europe at the last minute (one show ran longer than expected and another one gave my rep so many leads he stayed in Europe for an extra week). However, we were thoroughly prepared to get the guys home another way on another airline if needed. I run an international logistics company dealing with trucks/ships and airlines every day of the year.

Would I use CheapoAir for a cruise??? Absolutely no way unless I had a lot of extra money and a week before or after. For those who do not know their way around the airline business, you could miss your cruise, miss your flight and have a LOT of extra expenses. There is a LOT more to an airline ticket than price. Just because an airline ticket LOOKS the same on the surface (same seat, same flight, same airline, same plane even), what lurks below the surface (T & C's of the booking agency as well as the FARE RULES) can be a real GOTCHA!!

Well Jersey Girl goes on her cruise in October. Since my cruise is in Nov. 2012 I can't buy air fare until after she returns anyway. She can let me know how her experience was. We also plan to fly over 9 days or more before our cruise.

I will do the research and weight the pros and cons.

If Jersey Girl has NO glitches (missed connection, canceled flight, etc etc) her trip will be NO different than one booked via the airlines. Her experience will NOT mirror your experience.

It is when the glitches occur that Choice Air/other consolidator class tickets with their restrictions leave you at the bottom of the barrel for rebooking and help.

IF you know the airline system (like who to call, how to get the flights you need within the restrictions of your ticket, have all the tips and tricks at your fingertips) and your risk level is high, book the consolidator ticket. Otherwise, post your dates for prices that will likely be VERY close to anything the consolidators/Choice Air/EZ Air offer and have FULL protection from the airline.

If Jersey Girl has NO glitches (missed connection, canceled flight, etc etc) her trip will be NO different than one booked via the airlines. Her experience will NOT mirror your experience.

This is the whole point we continualy try to stress over and over again with cruise passengers that "think" they got their butts covered buying air tickets from thier cuise line.

The majority of the time (greater than 50%) there are no issues with their flights, connections, weather, etc. and they get where they need to for their cruise (life is all good).

We (there are several on this board who fly a lot, and I mean a lot) are only trying to say with these air tickets from cruise lines, that when things do go wrong with your flights, connections, weather, mechanical brakedowns, crew shortage, etc. (can list 100 other things) is when things start going really bad for these passengers with these kinds of tickets. That's all. It's not that they are bad tickets when things go good, it's that they are bad (and sometimes real bad) when things go bad on your flights.

And sadly yes, my wife and I do have first hand experiance when things went wrong with a delayed connection when we got our air tickets from the cruise line. Too long of a story to post now, but trust me I would never ever go through an experiance like that again.... Oh to be young and dumb in my life:o

John

Jane, thanks for starting this thread. I've read all the posts and will now go back and look at the various links.

I have USAirways Dividend Miles and hadn't thought about the possibility of getting a one way ticket using them with one of the Star Alliance airlines that do one way awards. Going to look into that very soon!

Beth

Jane, thanks for starting this thread. I've read all the posts and will now go back and look at the various links.

I have USAirways Dividend Miles and hadn't thought about the possibility of getting a one way ticket using them with one of the Star Alliance airlines that do one way awards. Going to look into that very soon!

Beth

Unfortunately USAir doesn't yet offer one-way awards using their miles. You can redeem your miles for a one-way trip on USAir or any partner, but you'll be charged the same number of miles as for a round trip.

Unfortunately USAir doesn't yet offer one-way awards using their miles. You can redeem your miles for a one-way trip on USAir or any partner, but you'll be charged the same number of miles as for a round trip.

Good to know. I'm on the same cruise as MomofMeg, so I can't book anything until next winter.

BTW, I understand you had real sunshine today in Seattle. My sister lives there, and when we talked she was sitting outside enjoying the sun and 80 degree weather.

Last transatlantic we did we used our Delta skymiles and yes it took miles for roundtrip air to Europe-but as roundtrip air is cheaper than one way air anyway-we did not mind. We were told IF we had flown again within 14 days we could have put our ticket from NJ to Atlanta on it-but because it was over 14 days we couldn't. However, we got our airfare very reasonable back to Atlanta-so it was okay.

With me-it is worth it to use the skymiles that way as the long flights are hard on me. One reason I like transatlantics is only one long flight. I realize, even though we get a bit of a break on the price from the cruise line that we could book a med cruise for probably less when we factor in the cost of air, etc.

We are using Icelandair for the second time next month. We are going one way to Heathrow (from Boston this time - last year we left from NYC). Their flights are one way fares. Check it out. The cost has been less than other airlines (and we booked extra comfort seating for less than other airlines' general seating).

BTW, I understand you had real sunshine today in Seattle. My sister lives there, and when we talked she was sitting outside enjoying the sun and 80 degree weather.

All gone today though! I know I enjoyed our two days of summer this year.

All gone today though! I know I enjoyed our two days of summer this year.

INSTALLING WASHINGTON SUMMER.....

███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.

Install delayed....please wait.

Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found. Season "Summer" cannot be located.

The season you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

We are using Icelandair for the second time next month. We are going one way to Heathrow (from Boston this time - last year we left from NYC). Their flights are one way fares. Check it out. The cost has been less than other airlines (and we booked extra comfort seating for less than other airlines' general seating).

I like that-extra comfort seats! THANKS! Hope they go to Rome!

Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found. Season "Summer" cannot be located.

The season you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Haven't needed to turn on the lawn sprinklers. At least the water bill is happy. Mrs. FT keeps wondering if the flannel sheets should come back from the closet. The other good news....I won't notice when autumn arrives on the calendar.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Haven't needed to turn on the lawn sprinklers. At least the water bill is happy. Mrs. FT keeps wondering if the flannel sheets should come back from the closet. The other good news....I won't notice when autumn arrives on the calendar.

Thanks Gardyloo! Hilarious and sadly true as I see it's still raining today.

I haven't taken the flannel sheets off the bed, and the cover has never come off the outside table and chairs. The worst summer weather ever!

I like that-extra comfort seats! THANKS! Hope they go to Rome!

It doesn't appear that there are many flights to FCO actually on their metal; lots of codeshares with Air Berlin/LH/Eurowings, etc. Be careful when booking.

It doesn't appear that there are many flights to FCO actually on their metal; lots of codeshares with Air Berlin/LH/Eurowings, etc. Be careful when booking.

Well, you know, if I can cross the ocean in those extra comfort seats-then a shorter flight-it would be doable to change to another airline-wonder if they fly to Paris. that would be a good airport to change flights.

we are also batting around going to Venice first.

Archived