One Way Flights to Europe

momofmeg

If you are considering US carriers, think about Economy Plus on UA (extra seat pitch, no additional service) and Economy Comfort on DL (which does provide free alcohol). That little bit of extra legroom on those long flights really makes a difference.

If you are considering US carriers, think about Economy Plus on UA (extra seat pitch, no additional service) and Economy Comfort on DL (which does provide free alcohol). That little bit of extra legroom on those long flights really makes a difference.

Do these airlines offer one way tickets? At 5 ft. 2 in. leg room is never an issue for me - in fact my problem is my feet don't touch the floor so I bought a little inflatable footstool from Magellans which I will use from now on. Previously I had Magellans' foldable "plastic" footstool, but the inflatable one is a bit better. Either way the long distance flights are much more comfortable for me.

Do these airlines offer one way tickets? At 5 ft. 2 in. leg room is never an issue for me - in fact my problem is my feet don't touch the floor so I bought a little inflatable footstool from Magellans which I will use from now on. Previously I had Magellans' foldable "plastic" footstool, but the inflatable one is a bit better. Either way the long distance flights are much more comfortable for me.

I am only 5'4" myself.I still hate feeling cramped-and some of it is not legroom but elbow room. I remember one flight I was in the middle seat between 2 men-(much smaller back then too) and I had NO room becasue both were hanging over on me-since I was about 45 and both these guys were early 30's-so-they were NOT trying to come on to me-they just were both a bit overweight and had no room. We had got one of those last minute deals-last minute trip-and all the aisle and window seats were taken. Thank goodness that flight was only about 45 minutes.

I am only 5'4" myself.I still hate feeling cramped-and some of it is not legroom but elbow room. I remember one flight I was in the middle seat between 2 men-(much smaller back then too) and I had NO room becasue both were hanging over on me-since I was about 45 and both these guys were early 30's-so-they were NOT trying to come on to me-they just were both a bit overweight and had no room. We had got one of those last minute deals-last minute trip-and all the aisle and window seats were taken. Thank goodness that flight was only about 45 minutes.

I really was only talking about legroom. I love to sit by the window and sometimes feel squished against the bulkhead even by fairly small people. Sitting in a middle seat is worse.

I'm definitely going to look at comfort economy or business class or whatever I can do given air miles, etc. next year.

I just finished booking my one-way air from LHR to LAX for next May 2012. I received an email from British Airways saying until 8/11/11 you can book with your Executive Club frequent flyer miles at half the miles.

So, I checked, not expecting anything, because BA is traditionally really expensive with one-way air. What a surprise!

I used 12,500 miles (from both DH and my accounts; we registered as a household account), and it cost an extra $948 for the non-stop flight to LAX. I paid an extra $94 for the twin seats to give hubby more room on the side. We had these on our last BA flight and he liked them.

So, for $1042 I got both of us flying one-way LHR to LAX.

If you have miles with BA you might want to cash them in. Log into your Executive Club account, then click on the link on the left to "Purchase travel using miles". They will show the household account numbers when you go to indicate the passengers, then calculate the remaining in cash.

• 4 months later...
Did you check buying it through the cruiseline? It is about the same cost as roundtrip if you book through the cruiseline-this is probably what we will do-although we have skymiles for one ticket-the other ticket would be $2000 and the skymiles ate up completly for the one ticket.

You do not have to buy it through the cruiseline for the day before the cruise-you can buy even a week or more before.

Okay I found where you posted to me-LOL!

Summer roundtrip fares are high too-almost as high as one way in the late fall. We can't do this every year for sure-but I think this is a nice gift we can give each other for our 30th anniversary. We are also compensating by booking an inside room instead of the balcony we had booked, since summer fares are also higher.

We did a TA once. We would love to again-but it was taking too much of my husband's vacation time. There were other reasons also why we have decided to switch- I still think we will enjoy our trip. Maybe we can do another TA after my hubby retires.

I think that the signature line from one who responded that says, "The plural of anecdote is not data," really applies here. You might hear of great prices for flights that did not involve consolidators. My conclusion would be, based on my own experience with some very good deals, is that all of those lucky events were preceded by someone investing the time to shop around and explore other options. Luck happens when preparation coincides with opportunity.

We are booked Air Berlin one way to Miami from Valencia next mid March for a TA back to Barcelona. Our routing is Valencia - Palma - Dusseldorf, a night stop and then DUS-MIA. I booked last May when flights opened and paid €678.88 ($883) for the two of us; the fare yesterday had increased to €890.6 ($1138) so I am feeling fairly happy with having booked early. I have used Air Berlin on intra European flights and was more than happy with them. We have also used Aer Lingus for one way TA flights and were very pleased. While I can happily accept that a one way flight should cost more than half the return trip, the logic of the ludicrous differential with most carriers escapes me.

• 2 weeks later...
This may have been answered, but What happens if you buy an international RT ticket and throw away the return segment? Is there any way they can charge you or put you on their "no fly" list?

They can say you're violating the terms of the contract you agreed to when you purchased the ticket, and charge you the one-way fare.

Will they? No.

I will have completed the out portion and already returned home, can they do anything then?
The fact that you got home some other way doesn't change anything. In theory, they can try to charge you for the travel you actually intended to undertake, namely the one-way fare for the outbound journey alone.

In practice, unless you are a serial offender, this is most unlikely to happen. If you think that you might not be able to use the return half of a ticket that you're thinking of booking, generally the advice includes booking directly with the airline and not claiming frequent flyer miles.

Archived