Carnival tightens smoking on board for 3 lines

kiawahdon

According to CC news, three of Carnival's brands have significantly tightened their smoking policies in response to consumer surveys. Princess will be going smoke free in all staterooms and balconies (YEA!); HAL staterooms will be smoke free, but not balconies; and Carnival ships will have a 2 step process that will result in smoke free staterooms, but not balconies by year-end. All three brands will still have smoking areas in various public spaces.

Interesting that SB was not included in this policy change. I understand why the brands that target European clients (Cunard & Costa) will be very slow in changing due to the higher rate of smokers, but not covering SB is a mystery.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4518

• 2 weeks later...

Great news!

How about banning smoking in the Observation Bar? It's just foolish to permit exposure of second hand smoke to guests and crew from those thoughtless enough to pollute that space.

Common sense will prevail sooner or later. Now makes even better sense.

I too was very disappointed that Seabourn didn't address this issue. I really do hope Serabourn will ban smoking in cabins and on balconies...if so, Seabourn will be our cruise home. We like a balcony and loved our long cruise on the Spirit in the Classic suite, but have been somewhat unwilling to try the new ships for fear of a smoky balcony. The cruises are just too costly not to be able to enjoy relaxing on my balcony.

We tried Regent, but didn't enjoy it as much Seabourn. The Mariner was just too big to provide the service we had on Seabourn. We tried Silver Seas a few years back and really didn't care for their product.

Given that the service on the Mariner was really little better than what we have enjoyed on the small Princess ships in a full suite...and a whole lot more costly, since Princess has banned smking in the cabin and on the balcony, we were looking at their small ship itineraries again.

I like the all inclusiveness and service of Seabourn, but don't like the idea of possibly not being able to use my balcony.

I hope what capecodder 2 said is true. When does it go into effect?

I am also hoping that what the original poster has said, turns out to be true. The Observation lounge is also a no go zone for me, which hardly seems fair that those who cant, or wont tolerate smoke, are not able to avail themselves of the best room on the ship, the same room that has the best views, trivia and afternoon tea. Smoking should not be allowed anywhere apart from a small outdoor area.

Wripro,

I think I know who you mean when you mention that Seabourn caters to and for a particular long cruise-going passenger who likes to smoke in the Observation Bar, first window seat on the right as one enters from deck 10 on the larger ships.

Well, Seabourn (and I know your marketing people monitor this site habitually), what's it going to be? How about laying your cards on the table and dealing with this nuisance once and for all and for good? Your revenue enhancement opportunity as well as the trade-offs are transparent now- as represented by these posts. And the change in operations management affords you a timely opportunity. So why not take it?

The execution? How 'bout slipping a note under this passenger's door mentioning the stern of the ship, off Seabourn Square, where she is welcome at all hours to do her thing, and declaring all indoor spaces smoke free on Seabourn ships?

The Observation Bar varies a lot - on our first Sojourn cruise you could smell the smoke as you got out of the lift, so we avoided it; on our second recently (although 'the lady' was on board) it was never noticeable. She does use the area outside the Square in the day, but I suppose understandably not in the evenings. I am sure in the fullness of time the complete ban will take place. Also, on our last Sojourn there were no smoking signs on the tables on the starboard side of the Ob. Bar in the daytime, taken away in the early evening! Don't know who was responsible for this, but it did stop the few other smokers going in there.

I was told today by Seabourn that smoking will no longer be permitted in staterooms or on balconies. Perhaps we will cruise on them now that is so. It was a deal breaker for us before.

And it would be a dealbreaker for us if there was no smoking in both stateroom and balcony. One or the other must be available for smokers if we are going to cruise on SB. I'm not running down to Seabourn Square for that first cigarette of the morning with my coffee. It's called compromise.

crew area,,,on deck 5,,whew,,,really bad every time you passed ,,and in hall,,,but not our room,thank God,,or balcony...

and to Peaches,,sad to see you go,,if they change policy,,but many like above posters,,will gladly now book,,and take your place...

This was a great concern to me,,prior to cruise,,but only problem I noticed was as mentioned above...and VERY GLAD...So will book again,,,with NO CONCERN,,if smoking banned there....:)

The great majority of people, particularly 'luxury' cruisers, do not smoke and do not like the smell of smoke, so I think Seabourn will eventually not allow any smoking - in their own financial interests. They are in business to sell cruises, after all. Does HAL allow smoking, anyone know?

The great majority of people, particularly 'luxury' cruisers, do not smoke and do not like the smell of smoke, so I think Seabourn will eventually not allow any smoking - in their own financial interests. They are in business to sell cruises, after all. Does HAL allow smoking, anyone know?

I disagree, I do not smoke but there are plenty who do and banning smoking will definitely stop them sailing on Seabourn, can Seabourn afford to alienate a large section of society? have you seen the number of sales and discounts Seabourn is offering to try to fill all these extra berths, do you really want to pay more for less because Seabourn cannot fill their ships?

Why do people seem so hell bent on stopping something that really doesn't bother the majority, I have yet to hear of anyone saying they will not return to Seabourn because of smoking related problems.

Please lets move on for goodness sake and start talking about positive aspects of sailing with Seabourn and passing on tips and helpful comments etc instead of trying to manipulate Seabourn by appearing to speak for the majority when without spending vast amounts of money on market research you cannot possibly know.

As a non-smoker I can be tolerant of smokers, although the gentleman who spent every morning on a Legend cruise smoking a cigar inside in the lounge before trivia was too much. It's a tough call. I am sorry that others won't be able to enjoy their cruises because of the smoking issues.

Here's my answer:

The vast majority of Seabourn passengers do not smoke and do not choose to be exposed to smoke's carcinogens. But they can be exposed to it in corridors, balconies, cabins adjoining a smoker's cabin, in the Observation Bar, and in certain exterior spaces such as the right side of the Sky Bar.

Why would anyone be so inconsiderate as to expose others to smoke? After all, on land you won't find many restaurants and bars in the western world allowing smoking. By law and custom it's the right of the majority to breathe smoke-free.

It's only a matter of time that Seabourn recognizes this logic. You don't need market research to recognize and understand that the health of the majority is what counts.

Here's my answer:

The vast majority of Seabourn passengers do not smoke and do not choose to be exposed to smoke's carcinogens. But they can be exposed to it in corridors, balconies, cabins adjoining a smoker's cabin, in the Observation Bar, and in certain exterior spaces such as the right side of the Sky Bar.

Why would anyone be so inconsiderate as to expose others to smoke? After all, on land you won't find many restaurants and bars in the western world allowing smoking. By law and custom it's the right of the majority to breathe smoke-free.

It's only a matter of time that Seabourn recognizes this logic. You don't need market research to recognize and understand that the health of the majority is what counts.

In other words you are asking for a TOTAL ban on smoking on all Seabourn ships. If not where would you allow it? Even behind Seabourn Square non-smokers walk through that area, so I presume there will be no smoking area at all?

The vast majority of Seabourn passengers do not smoke and do not choose to be exposed to smoke's carcinogens. But they can be exposed to it in corridors, balconies, cabins adjoining a smoker's cabin, in the Observation Bar, and in certain exterior spaces such as the right side of the Sky Bar. -You make it sound like being onboard Seabourn is like being in some 1920 speakeasy - my memory is somewhat different to yours, you talk of choice, is it not currently your choice not to accept the current smoking policy and look elsewhere for your cruising needs, are you not trying to limit other peoples choices to suit your own?

Why would anyone be so inconsiderate as to expose others to smoke? After all, on land you won't find many restaurants and bars in the western world allowing smoking. By law and custom it's the right of the majority to breathe smoke-free. - I do not understand this point as Seabourn is smoke free in ALL eating areas and I know of no such law that gives you the right to breathe smoke free air in any country of the world, try calling a policeman to stop someone smoking in the street and he will explain. In fact, just being aboard a vessel propelled by a fossil fuel is contaminating everyone's air, do you drive per chance? Also, I think you would be surprised at how many Seabourn guests do smoke, the fact that so many of them do it in the privacy of their own suite or on their private balcony because of the anti social side of smoking these days does not mean they do not exist.

It's only a matter of time that Seabourn recognizes this logic. You don't need market research to recognize and understand that the health of the majority is what counts. - Again I disagree, I remember hearing of another cruise line that banned smoking and being so commercially hit they returned to a limited smoking policy, without legislation Seabourn will follow the most commercially viable option.

My overall point would be that we should try to find acceptable compromises and not pillory and ban smokers completely and imho I think Seabourn has the mix about right; do you not think government interference is bad enough these days without adding to it when you go on holiday.

I am not trying to speak for everyone - but I think there were only two or at most three smokers on our last cruise with 380 on board. I just think Seabourn may ban smoking, at least indoors, purely for commercial reasons, as I feel more people would be inclined to cruise with them if smoking was not allowed than as it currently is. I know, purely a personal opinion, although many I spoke to wished it was already the rule.

However, the commercial reasons will win out of course, so we will see.

I would be happy if any and all smokers were restricted to the exterior stern deck area off Seabourn Square. No smoking on balconies, in cabins/corridors/the Observation Bar or near the Sky Bar since second hand smoke travels. Since you asked, that's my requirement.

About whether it's commercial reasons or what you call "government interference" (which is intended to promote the common good- a concept that makes sense to me at least) that ultimately restricts smoking on cruise ships, well, it does not matter to me. I want to travel, dine, drink, relax and sleep in a smoke free environment. That's my right and your right to smoke and pollute the air for me and other non-smokers does not trump mine. Period. After all, you can smoke outside Seabourn Square and to the rear of Seabourn Square in relative privacy now with other smokers and without interference. Why burden anyone else with your smoking habit?

In other words you are asking for a TOTAL ban on smoking on all Seabourn ships. If not where would you allow it? Even behind Seabourn Square non-smokers walk through that area, so I presume there will be no smoking area at all?

Once upon a time it was a normal practice to be able to smoke on planes too.......that was banned probably 15 years ago? No smoking any more in airports, some shopping malls, restaurants, theatres, etc etc..... I know its an old quote, but it is a dying habit. Hopefully all cruiselines will ban smoking sooner rather than later. A small outdoor area should be ok but certainly NO inside areas.

I want to travel, dine, drink, relax and sleep in a smoke free environment. That's my right and your right to smoke and pollute the air for me and other non-smokers does not trump mine. Period.

I'm sorry but that isn't your right is it, if you owned Seabourn then you could call the shots and set the smoking policy accordingly but until then your only right is to decide whether or not to sail with Seabourn - if they allow smoking in the suites, balconies or wherever then you have to accept it or move to another cruise line. Period.

What I cannot understand is that if you feel so strongly about the smoking policy why you continue to sail with Seabourn, would you not be better suited sailing with one of the lines that has a more limited smoking policy, that way you won't be disappointed and won't have to come here to complain.

PS You probably won't believe this but I really don't smoke so actually I will never be polluting your air.

I enjoy sailing on Seabourn despite the smokers who pollute the air to the right side of the popular Sky Bar with their cigarettes and cigars and the Observation Bar. I try to steer clear of those areas whenever I can which does infringe on my rights to have access to those areas. So there is no balance there- as anyone can understand who also dislikes the idea of inhaling smokers' carcinogens.

No it's not my line and I don't make the rules. I am for change and progress and that includes a rational discussion of the status quo which I expect Seabourn to manage for the health and safety of all passengers and staff- in line with the times.

Restricting smoking to the outdoor area to the rear of Seabourn Square seems like an adequate solution for everyone's sake. Too bad that some cannot accept the notion. What a pity.

This is getting a bit overheated. Seabourn will make their own minds up about this subject, no doubt studying what happens COMMERCIALLY to other lines who have tried banning smoking - did they improve passenger numbers or not?

In view of the HAL input now - does HAL allow smoking, and if so how much - I do not know, can you enlighten me anyone?

I want to travel, dine, drink, relax and sleep in a smoke free environment. That's my right and your right to smoke and pollute the air for me and other non-smokers does not trump mine. Period.

I'm sorry but that isn't your right is it, if you owned Seabourn then you could call the shots and set the smoking policy accordingly but until then your only right is to decide whether or not to sail with Seabourn - if they allow smoking in the suites, balconies or wherever then you have to accept it or move to another cruise line. Period.

What I cannot understand is that if you feel so strongly about the smoking policy why you continue to sail with Seabourn, would you not be better suited sailing with one of the lines that has a more limited smoking policy, that way you won't be disappointed and won't have to come here to complain.

PS You probably won't believe this but I really don't smoke so actually I will never be polluting your air.

OK let's talk about rights. In any civilised society there are rights and responsibilities that bear on all of us. You have a right as a smoker to kill yourself by your habit. You have no right whatsoever to kill others by your habit. Indeed you have a responsibility not to harm others by your actions.

Seabourn can make adequate arrangements to segregate smokers from non smokers. So satisfying all.

The sooner the better.

MARIANH,

Thank you for making a response that is grounded in the science, logic, best practice and "sense" of the times. It is the rights of the non-smoker that have been overlooked when smokers indulge their habits around them. When smokers or others tell nonsmokers they have the "right" to go on another line with more rigorous clean air standards than Seabourn currently has so as to side-step the point I have patiently tried to make, well, I can only shake my head.

We should be firmly advocating for smoke-free interior spaces on Seabourn ships and smoke-free spaces on deck where many people congregate eg the Sky Bar area which hosts sail-away parties. A designated smoking area at the back of the ship beyond Seabourn Square can be made comfortable for those who smoke cigars and cigarettes. They would have their space and no one else would be exposed to their smoke.

What's unfair, unreasonable, out of touch with shore-side legislation and common practice in the hotel/hospitality business about that?

OK let's talk about rights. In any civilised society there are rights and responsibilities that bear on all of us. You have a right as a smoker to kill yourself by your habit. You have no right whatsoever to kill others by your habit. Indeed you have a responsibility not to harm others by your actions.

Seabourn can make adequate arrangements to segregate smokers from non smokers. So satisfying all.

The sooner the better.

Way over the top ....Smokers are "Killers"...what's next ? Genocidal terrorists ? As someone who has never smoked, I'll take smokers over zealots, any day.

The only thing that should "killed" is this inflammatory thread.

The sooner, the better.

Paging Host Dan.

Archived