problems booking tours

lssg

we are cruising into Hawaii on a Holland America cruise ship and all the tour companies like Roberts, Polynesian Adventures, and others are not offering tours because we come in a 8 am...please help....we go to honolulu, nawiliwili kauai, lahaina maui. We will be doing ricky's in Hilo...but I need help finding other tour companies...

First, read down the board and figure out what you want to do. For example, in Lahaina, you get off the tender in the middle of town. You can take a bus or taxi to anything you want to do. But we don't know what you like, or want to do. In Honolulu the bus ($2.50pp) will take you anywhere, and it stops right at the port. Pearl Harbor is very accessable by bus or taxi.

Then when you have your interests figured out (you can check HAL excursions for ideas as well), then we can help you will how to get there.

I wanted to take a tour of the islands we would be visiting...circle tour of oahu...through the ship can be expensive...called a couple of companies and they offer no tours to holland america on the dates we are traveling because we come in a 8 am and not earlier...

I wanted to take a tour of the islands we would be visiting...circle tour of oahu...through the ship can be expensive...called a couple of companies and they offer no tours to holland america on the dates we are traveling because we come in a 8 am and not earlier...

For Oahu, try Hawaii23--I am working with them on various things and they seem very flexible.

I like having guides for certain things, but they aren't always needed. We rented a car (rellay cheap in Hawaii) and drove around ourselves. Roberts Tours are nice, but $120 for a day for 2 of us versus $50 (including gas) for a rental car seems to be a bit of a stretch.

When we went to Italy a couple of years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of trying to do it ourselves, but it was easy in Hawaii. We also got to choose to spend as much, or little, time at each spot as we wanted to do- and didn't have a "rest stop" at a convenient tourist trap that was willing to sell us jewelry, etc.

We drove to Lahaina, and again around Honolulu. There are some great spots by the side of the road that you can just get out of the car and see things you won't see at home. Those are some of my favorite memories.

we are cruising into Hawaii on a Holland America cruise ship and all the tour companies like Roberts, Polynesian Adventures, and others are not offering tours because we come in a 8 am...please help....we go to honolulu, nawiliwili kauai, lahaina maui. We will be doing ricky's in Hilo...but I need help finding other tour companies...

You're not alone! There seem to be quite a few cruisers who are having problems finding tour companies that will pick you up by the port or accommodate arrival times.

Anyway, we're coming in on the Golden Princess on their holiday cruise in December. We're still working on tours for some of the islands but here's what I've found so far.

Hilo: Safari helicopter tour "Deluxe Volcano & Coastline Safari" They will pick us up outside pier #1 at 8:45 (our ship gets in at 8:00). We chose the early AM flight (9:30) that will have us back at the ship at 10:45. That leaves plenty of time for us to get to Kilauea Iki Trail where we want to do a hike across the crater floor. We'll be doing that on our own. The Safari tour cost $358 for both my husband and I. That includes taxes, etc.

Honolulu: This is the problem child (island)! We arrive at 7:00 AM and can't seem to get a tour company to pick us up by the port (even at 7:30) to go to Pearl Harbor. We did find a company "Royal Hawaiian Tour" who offers a Pearl Harbor tour for cruise passengers, however, no one can seem to find reviews or anything on the company. I have a thread going trying to find info. We did call Royal Hawaiian and checked into their tour and asked about including the Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum and then going to Diamond Head. They wanted $55/hr. That was extremely expensive considering the amount of time we would be waiting to see the various sites. So, needless to say, we're still working on that one and considering just going off on our own!! (even though taxis are very expensive). The only thing we have solidified for Honolulu is the dinner show at the Sheraton in Waikiki "Creation - A Polynesian Journey". The dinner starts at 6:00 and the show at 7:15 or 7:30. It ends at 8:30 leaving plenty of time to catch a taxi to go the 2 miles back to the port for a 10:00 all aboard. This is in lieu of a luau since they aren't over until 9:30. That's cutting it too close!

Kaui: We just booked, through Air Ventures Hawaii, an Air/Ground Combo Tour ($149/pp + taxes = $322.92) Their tour is "The Big Kahuna Air & Land Tour" that includes a one hour air tour of the entire island (all the sites we wanted to see but don't have enought time in port) and the Wailua River boat cruise and Fern Grotto tour. They will pick us up at the Anchor Cove shopping center (a 10 minute walk from the ship) at 9:00 AM. They recommended that we do the River Boat cruise and Fern Grotto first and then the airplane tour. It works out better and gives us plenty of time to get back to the ship and maybe even a little shopping.

I'm still working on Maui. Ensenada... we're just going to get off the ship and walk around in the market place for a bit. There really isn't much going on there that interests us. I wish they would skip this one and give us more time in Honolulu! I'll let you know if we find anything else. When you get a chance, check out my thread on "Royal Hawaiian Tours" to see the comments thus far.

For Oahu, try Hawaii23--I am working with them on various things and they seem very flexible.

Thanks for this post! We sent them an email message this morning to see if they could work with us on a Pearl Harbor tour and possibly Diamond Head. I hope we can get it worked out because we're running out of options (except the option to just go on our own). We contacted Royal Hawaiian Tour and they gave us a price of $550!!! We only want to visit PH, not buy a parcel of land there!! lol

Anyway, I'll post the info we get back from Hawaii23.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Thanks for this post! We sent them an email message this morning to see if they could work with us on a Pearl Harbor tour and possibly Diamond Head. I hope we can get it worked out because we're running out of options (except the option to just go on our own). We contacted Royal Hawaiian Tour and they gave us a price of $550!!! We only want to visit PH, not buy a parcel of land there!! lol

Anyway, I'll post the info we get back from Hawaii23.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

LMAO--Now THAT was funny--but please do let me/us know what happens--I hope you're lucky!

LMAO--Now THAT was funny--but please do let me/us know what happens--I hope you're lucky!

Well we didn't have much luck with Hawaii23. I'm not sure they really understood what my husband was asking them. About all we did get out of their response was that they can't pick-up at the cruise port. Brett did respond to their email, but nothing yet.

In the interim, we found another company, Mahalo Shuttle. I called them, rather than sending an email, and spoke with Marilyn. Very nice conversation... they are a transport company for airport, cruise passengers, etc., (very fair pricing!), but they will also do tours. She had me send them an email outinling what we'd like to do so she could try to put a package together for us. I'm hoping this may be a viable alternative for us providing I don't have to give up a lung or my first born. I'll post the info when I hear back. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

I've been to each of the islands 2-5 times. We rarely do organized tours and much prefer to branch out on our own in Hawaii. Maui, Kauai and the Big Island are very easy drive-yourself kinda places. Oahu - too much traffic.

We arm ourselves w/ a GPS, a good guidebook (love the "Revealed" series) and off we go. I also do research on places to visit using various websites. We hire tour guides for specific places (like the Vatican in Rome and Ufizzi in Florence). We also rarely do ship excursions and booked independently whenever possible. We found that it is considerably cheaper and we are not herded onto large busses w/ tons of other people. The only time we do a ship excursion is when the excursion is very far from the ship (ziplining in Belize for example) and we are concerned that we might not make it back in time.

So I would recommend renting a car and going to places that interest you.

You're not alone! There seem to be quite a few cruisers who are having problems finding tour companies that will pick you up by the port or accommodate arrival times.

Anyway, we're coming in on the Golden Princess on their holiday cruise in December. We're still working on tours for some of the islands but here's what I've found so far.

Hilo: Safari helicopter tour "Deluxe Volcano & Coastline Safari" They will pick us up outside pier #1 at 8:45 (our ship gets in at 8:00). We chose the early AM flight (9:30) that will have us back at the ship at 10:45. That leaves plenty of time for us to get to Kilauea Iki Trail where we want to do a hike across the crater floor. We'll be doing that on our own. The Safari tour cost $358 for both my husband and I. That includes taxes, etc.

Honolulu: This is the problem child (island)! We arrive at 7:00 AM and can't seem to get a tour company to pick us up by the port (even at 7:30) to go to Pearl Harbor. We did find a company "Royal Hawaiian Tour" who offers a Pearl Harbor tour for cruise passengers, however, no one can seem to find reviews or anything on the company. I have a thread going trying to find info. We did call Royal Hawaiian and checked into their tour and asked about including the Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum and then going to Diamond Head. They wanted $55/hr. That was extremely expensive considering the amount of time we would be waiting to see the various sites. So, needless to say, we're still working on that one and considering just going off on our own!! (even though taxis are very expensive). The only thing we have solidified for Honolulu is the dinner show at the Sheraton in Waikiki "Creation - A Polynesian Journey". The dinner starts at 6:00 and the show at 7:15 or 7:30. It ends at 8:30 leaving plenty of time to catch a taxi to go the 2 miles back to the port for a 10:00 all aboard. This is in lieu of a luau since they aren't over until 9:30. That's cutting it too close!

Kaui: We just booked, through Air Ventures Hawaii, an Air/Ground Combo Tour ($149/pp + taxes = $322.92) Their tour is "The Big Kahuna Air & Land Tour" that includes a one hour air tour of the entire island (all the sites we wanted to see but don't have enought time in port) and the Wailua River boat cruise and Fern Grotto tour. They will pick us up at the Anchor Cove shopping center (a 10 minute walk from the ship) at 9:00 AM. They recommended that we do the River Boat cruise and Fern Grotto first and then the airplane tour. It works out better and gives us plenty of time to get back to the ship and maybe even a little shopping.

I'm still working on Maui. Ensenada... we're just going to get off the ship and walk around in the market place for a bit. There really isn't much going on there that interests us. I wish they would skip this one and give us more time in Honolulu! I'll let you know if we find anything else. When you get a chance, check out my thread on "Royal Hawaiian Tours" to see the comments thus far.

Hope you don't mind answering a question for me about Air Ventures. We just booked them and are really excited about it. I had been emailing back and forth a couple times with them and asked what happens if the ship can't get in, etc. She told me that if that happens we would not get charged. She said if interested they would need our info and cc number to hold seats and would not be charged until the day. Well, we booked Monday and our card has already been charged. I don't have a problem that it is paid in full. Just a little worried that it would be run through twice because they said on the day we are to bring our card and id. So, when you booked, was your cc charged imed. One of the reasons I wondered about this was she specifically said in my email that should the ship not make it in, there would be no charge to our card and then our card would be charged that day if our ship gets in. I thought about calling to double check but thought I'd see what happened for others. Thanks

This site is so helpful to all of us with so many questions. There is always someone who can help out.

Hope you don't mind answering a question for me about Air Ventures. We just booked them and are really excited about it. I had been emailing back and forth a couple times with them and asked what happens if the ship can't get in, etc. She told me that if that happens we would not get charged. She said if interested they would need our info and cc number to hold seats and would not be charged until the day. Well, we booked Monday and our card has already been charged. I don't have a problem that it is paid in full. Just a little worried that it would be run through twice because they said on the day we are to bring our card and id. So, when you booked, was your cc charged imed. One of the reasons I wondered about this was she specifically said in my email that should the ship not make it in, there would be no charge to our card and then our card would be charged that day if our ship gets in. I thought about calling to double check but thought I'd see what happened for others. Thanks

This site is so helpful to all of us with so many questions. There is always someone who can help out.

Yes, we were also charged upon making the reservation. We're not too concerned since they seem to have good ratings and no problem reviews. Let's hope for the best!!

Well we didn't have much luck with Hawaii23. I'm not sure they really understood what my husband was asking them. About all we did get out of their response was that they can't pick-up at the cruise port. Brett did respond to their email, but nothing yet.

In the interim, we found another company, Mahalo Shuttle. I called them, rather than sending an email, and spoke with Marilyn. Very nice conversation... they are a transport company for airport, cruise passengers, etc., (very fair pricing!), but they will also do tours. She had me send them an email outinling what we'd like to do so she could try to put a package together for us. I'm hoping this may be a viable alternative for us providing I don't have to give up a lung or my first born. I'll post the info when I hear back. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

I think we may finally have our excursions in place. Here's what we've come up with. You can check out the various companies for yourself and hopefully, you can use some of the info.

We haven't booked the Maui excursion as of yet. I spoke with the company directly and they indicated that if we have (6) people, they would take us in a separate van and arrange an earlier pick-up so we can be back at the port by 3:30 (we're tendered in Maui). It's a half way to Hana tour. I posted all the info for it.

I also have some shuttle info for transfers from LAX to Long Beach and from Long Beach to the San Pedro Port. They also shuttle from LAX to the port. We opted to fly in a couple of days early and stay in Long Beach.

Prime Time Shuttle Service - 1 (800) 733-8267

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/loca...FVAD2goduwWnyA

Pick-up from LAX -

Xfer to hotel in Long Beach

Cost: $32/for 2

Long Beach - San Pedro Port

Xfer from hotel to San Pedro Port

Cost: $30/for 2

We're on the Golden Princess so the pick-up/drop-off times are based on our itinerary

Hilo

Safari Helicopter Tour - "Deluxe Volcano & Coastline Safari"

Pick-up 8:45 AM - front of Pier#1 building, near the taxi stand

Flight Time: 9:30 AM

Fee to be collected at check-in - $358.00 (for 2)

Coupon for $10.00 off the tour Video

Drop-off at Pier - 10:45 AM

Afternoon: on our own

Taxi to Volcano National Park

Kilauea Iki Trail Hike & Lava Tube

Honolulu

VIP Transportation Shuttle -

Email:

auntie.aq@hotmail.com

Pick-up 7:30 AM at pier gate (Bright green shirts w/sign "VIPTrans")

Shuttle to Pearl Harbor $6.00/pp

On our own tour - Arizona, USS Missouri & Pacific Aviation Museum

Purchase Tickets Online for USS Missouri & PA Museum

Shuttle Service leaves the Arizona at: 11:30/2:00/4:30

Shuttle from Pearl Harbor to Diamond Head Crater - $6.00/pp

On our own climb crater ($1.00/pp for climb) - 99 steps, approx 1 hr/to top

Bus or Taxi to Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, 120 Kaiulana Ave, Honolulu

Hotel phone: (808) 922-5811

Buses run from Diamond Head hourly OR

Taxi: (808) 422-2222

Sheraton Dinner Show: "Creation - A Polynesian Journey"

http://www.creationshow.com/

Dinner - 6:00 PM (check-in at 5:45 PM)

Show Starts: 7:00 PM

Show Ends: 8:30 PM

Shuttle (VIPTrans) Pick-up from Sheraton at 8:45 PM

Call: 808-836-0317 to arrange the 8:45 PM pick-up

Shuttle cost Sheraton to Pier: $9.00/pp

Kauai (Nawiliwili)

Air Ventures Hawaii: "Big Kahuna & Fern Grotto Air/Ground Combo Tour"

Airventureshawaii.com

(808) 651-0679

Cost: $322.92 - (2) people

Pick-up 9:00 AM - at Anchor Cove shopping center fronting the ABC store

• Shuttle will transport to the Wailua River Marina for 9:30 AM Fern Grotto & Riverboat Cruise Tour.
  • Shuttle will transport to Air Ventures Hawaii at conclusion of Riverboat & Fern Grotto Tour
  • Shuttle will transport back to Anchor Cove Shopping Center after Big Kahuna Air Tour.

Maui (Lahaina)

Mahalo Tours & Transportation: "Taro Tour - Half Way To Hana"

http://mahalotoursandtrans.com/services.html

Tour Link:

http://mahalotoursandtrans.com/tours...waytohana.html

Cost: $89.00/pp

Pick-up:

If we have (6) people, private pick-up at pier - 8:30 AM

Drop-off:

3:30 PM (for private (6) person tour

I think we may finally have our excursions in place. Here's what we've come up with. You can check out the various companies for yourself and hopefully, you can use some of the info.

We haven't booked the Maui excursion as of yet. I spoke with the company directly and they indicated that if we have (6) people, they would take us in a separate van and arrange an earlier pick-up so we can be back at the port by 3:30 (we're tendered in Maui). It's a half way to Hana tour. I posted all the info for it.

I also have some shuttle info for transfers from LAX to Long Beach and from Long Beach to the San Pedro Port. They also shuttle from LAX to the port. We opted to fly in a couple of days early and stay in Long Beach.

http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/loca...FVAD2goduwWnyA

Pick-up from LAX -

Xfer to hotel in Long Beach

Cost: $32/for 2

Long Beach - San Pedro Port

Xfer from hotel to San Pedro Port

Cost: $30/for 2

We're on the Golden Princess so the pick-up/drop-off times are based on our itinerary

Hilo

Safari Helicopter Tour - "Deluxe Volcano & Coastline Safari"

Pick-up 8:45 AM - front of Pier#1 building, near the taxi stand

Flight Time: 9:30 AM

Fee to be collected at check-in - $358.00 (for 2)

Coupon for $10.00 off the tour Video

Drop-off at Pier - 10:45 AM

Afternoon: on our own

Taxi to Volcano National Park

Kilauea Iki Trail Hike & Lava Tube

Honolulu

VIP Transportation Shuttle -

Email:

auntie.aq@hotmail.com

Pick-up 7:30 AM at pier gate (Bright green shirts w/sign "VIPTrans")

Shuttle to Pearl Harbor $6.00/pp

On our own tour - Arizona, USS Missouri & Pacific Aviation Museum

Purchase Tickets Online for USS Missouri & PA Museum

Shuttle Service leaves the Arizona at: 11:30/2:00/4:30

Shuttle from Pearl Harbor to Diamond Head Crater - $6.00/pp

On our own climb crater ($1.00/pp for climb) - 99 steps, approx 1 hr/to top

Bus or Taxi to Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, 120 Kaiulana Ave, Honolulu

Hotel phone: (808) 922-5811

Buses run from Diamond Head hourly OR

Taxi: (808) 422-2222

Sheraton Dinner Show: "Creation - A Polynesian Journey"

http://www.creationshow.com/

Dinner - 6:00 PM (check-in at 5:45 PM)

Show Starts: 7:00 PM

Show Ends: 8:30 PM

Shuttle (VIPTrans) Pick-up from Sheraton at 8:45 PM

Call: 808-836-0317 to arrange the 8:45 PM pick-up

Shuttle cost Sheraton to Pier: $9.00/pp

Kauai (Nawiliwili)

Air Ventures Hawaii: "Big Kahuna & Fern Grotto Air/Ground Combo Tour"

Airventureshawaii.com

(808) 651-0679

Cost: $322.92 - (2) people

Pick-up 9:00 AM - at Anchor Cove shopping center fronting the ABC store

• Shuttle will transport to the Wailua River Marina for 9:30 AM Fern Grotto & Riverboat Cruise Tour.
  • Shuttle will transport to Air Ventures Hawaii at conclusion of Riverboat & Fern Grotto Tour
  • Shuttle will transport back to Anchor Cove Shopping Center after Big Kahuna Air Tour.

Maui (Lahaina)

Mahalo Tours & Transportation: "Taro Tour - Half Way To Hana"

http://mahalotoursandtrans.com/services.html

Tour Link:

http://mahalotoursandtrans.com/tours...waytohana.html

Cost: $89.00/pp

Pick-up:

If we have (6) people, private pick-up at pier - 8:30 AM

Drop-off:

3:30 PM (for private (6) person tour

Lurking here....really like info you provided for Honolulu....thanks...Sheila

Archived