Missed the ship

nvgal

We were booked on Regatta on the June 17 sailing from Vancouver to Anchorage. After leaving Las Vegas we had a medical emergency in Seattle. After getting clearance to fly we landed in Vancouver at 5:30 only to be told, at the airport, that the ship was sailing at 6:00 and would not wait for us. Stranded in Vancouver. Back in LV now, but I have been crying since Friday... Laura

Laura --so sorry to hear about this. We have been following your Roll Call and know how much you were looking forward to it. Hope you are both okay. Regards, Marsha and Lou (Insignia Barcelona/Rio T/A Dec. 2010)

We were booked on Regatta on the June 17 sailing from Vancouver to Anchorage. After leaving Las Vegas we had a medical emergency in Seattle. After getting clearance to fly we landed in Vancouver at 5:30 only to be told, at the airport, that the ship was sailing at 6:00 and would not wait for us. Stranded in Vancouver. Back in LV now, but I have been crying since Friday... Laura

Laura,

So sorry to hear that. Hope that your insurance will cover it. We are on the 7/11/11 cruise.

So sorry this happened. As menioned,, insurance should kick in. But was it not feasible to take a plane to the first port and get the ship there? Arlene

Arlene - the Jones Act prohibits boarding the ship in any future ports and we knew this, that is why we BEGGED them to wait for us, to no avail...

Arlene - the Jones Act prohibits boarding the ship in any future ports and we knew this, that is why we BEGGED them to wait for us, to no avail...

Then I'm doubly sorry.:( I did not know that!! Arlene

I am so sorry, both for your medical emergency and the loss of your cruise.

Hopefully, all are well and healthy now and insurance refunds will Allow for a future cruise.

I am not familiar with the Jones Act. What, exactly, is it and would it prevent you from picking up the ship at the next port if the delay was caused by a late arrival at the airport? What if the ports were within the same country?

Thanks in advance for educating me on this issue.

Harriet

I am so sorry, both for your medical emergency and the loss of your cruise.

Hopefully, all are well and healthy now and insurance refunds will Allow for a future cruise.

I am not familiar with the Jones Act. What, exactly, is it and would it prevent you from picking up the ship at the next port if the delay was caused by a late arrival at the airport? What if the ports were within the same country?

Thanks in advance for educating me on this issue.

Harriet

I am not the expert, by any means. Some of our CC readers will know. It has something to do with there being no foreign ports in between the scheduled port stops. I think it came from the pirates and seems to me it should be changed. Have contacted insurance company. Keep your fingers crossed.

Google "PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act)" and you will get the details.

It has nothing to do with pirates, but is rather a cabotage law, which attempts to shield U.S. maritime shipping from foreign competition. It also applies to the U.S. cruise ship industry. The PVSA requires foreign cruise ships that carry passengers between U.S. ports to also stop at foreign ports.

If your only foreign port was the port of embarkation, i.e. Vancouver, then it would be illegal for the cruise line (which is foreign) to transport you between US ports without an intervening foreign port. You cannot "catch up" with a ship doing this routing.

Actually, it gets more specific than this, but for this discussion, I hope this information has been of help.

My goodness! So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if nvgal's cruise had stopped at, say, Victoria along the way, then she would have been able to board, but an Alaska only itinerary sealed her fate. Wow! Now we all have another reason to carefully choose our itineraries.

Thank you, Oceans&Rivers, for your explanation.

Harriet

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Laura:

We missed you and were wondering what happened to you--so sorry you missed the ship--and that they would not wait! Hope all is well now, but can't even begin to imagine how distraught you all must have been. Best wishes.

Roseann

Hi Laura:

We missed you and were wondering what happened to you--so sorry you missed the ship--and that they would not wait! Hope all is well now, but can't even begin to imagine how distraught you all must have been. Best wishes.

Roseann

For my clarification who told you the ship would not wait and how long was it going to take you to get to the ship??..sounds weird to me!!

Jancruz1

We were on the June 7th sailing from Vancouver to Alaska and our departure was delayed several hours for passengers arrriving late at the airport, or so we were told. Wonder if it has to do with booking your flight through Oceania, in which case they will wait?????

For my clarification who told you the ship would not wait and how long was it going to take you to get to the ship??..sounds weird to me!!

Jancruz1

Hi all - just to clarify things. I was in contact with the O rep via the emergency phone number. Upon our landing in Vancouver, at 5:30pm, the rep told me there was someone meeting us in the terminal who would help us book our return flight home. We were probably 25 minutes from the ship, and both reps told us, "The ship will not wait so don't even go to the dock".

Mom's leg is still bruised and very swollen, almost 4 weeks later. And we are still waiting for the insurance. But... the good news is, we are thinking about which O cruise to book next. Thanks all for your concern. Laura

This is a little off topic, but this is one of the reasons why it isn't necessarily "fine" with Oceania if you get on the ship at a later port or skip the last port of a cruise because it fits into your schedule better.

There are all kinds of laws and penalties and regulations that you may be breaking, which is why the passage contract states:

"Your vessel visits cruise ports in the itinerary under "yacht privileges". By these arrangements, cruise passengers are permitted ashore for sightseeing purposes with a minimum of local Government regulations. Under certain circumstances passengers may be embarked or finally disembarked at local ports but such arrangements must be made in advance. Passengers electing to leave or join the cruise, en-route are advised that they may be assessed any additional port dues, levies or taxes incurred as the result of changes in the ship's status occasioned by such local traffic. Such port dues, levies and taxes will be prorated among the passengers disembarking or embarking at the local ports."

Google "PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act)" and you will get the details.

It has nothing to do with pirates, but is rather a cabotage law, which attempts to shield U.S. maritime shipping from foreign competition. It also applies to the U.S. cruise ship industry. The PVSA requires foreign cruise ships that carry passengers between U.S. ports to also stop at foreign ports.

If your only foreign port was the port of embarkation, i.e. Vancouver, then it would be illegal for the cruise line (which is foreign) to transport you between US ports without an intervening foreign port. You cannot "catch up" with a ship doing this routing.

Actually, it gets more specific than this, but for this discussion, I hope this information has been of help.

I hope that this is specific to US ports as we hope to "catch up" with a cruise in Australia one port after she leaves Sydney (in Brisbane).

Thanks Lyn - I am glad. I hope I won't have any trouble with my plans.

You will probably be fine as long as you have cleared it in advance with the cruise line

I am jealous...I want to do Australia but Mike will not fly that far:(

I hope that this is specific to US ports as we hope to "catch up" with a cruise in Australia one port after she leaves Sydney (in Brisbane).

The Jones act is specific to the United States, but who knows what the laws are in Australia.

Oceania has already put us on notice that if they incur a fee because we assume then they are passing it right on to us.

"Passengers electing to leave or join the cruise, en-route are advised that they may be assessed any additional port dues, levies or taxes incurred as the result of changes in the ship's status occasioned by such local traffic. Such port dues, levies and taxes will be prorated among the passengers disembarking or embarking at the local ports."

Do you have any idea how much those penalties might be? It might run to significant numbers.

Archived