Wine: cost on board vs cost to bring on

cdnsteelman

So I'm a wine guy and I read a lot of posts about the cost of wine, wine packages, corkage, etc so I thought I'd try to be a bit of help from the perspective of paying corkage vs buying aboard at NCL prices.

A couple of notes... 1) I drink red so I've only done comparisons on reds I'm familiar with, 2) the NCL prices are subject to a 15 per cent service fee on top of what's quoted, 3) NCLs wine markup isn't really all that out of touch with the markup you'd pay at a decent restaurant, 4) the prices I've shown that you can typically get the wines listed for locally are on the most recent vintage as the NCL list I found on another post is not vintage-specific.

Before I get to the list it is almost the case that the more expensive the wine you drink the more it makes sense to carry on and pay the $15 corkage. On the lowest end wines on the NCL list you'll still save by carrying on and paying corkage but you may find the convenience of buying aboard worth the extra $$.

On my most recent cruises I have carried on and paid the corkage and supplemented by buying local grape in ports where it made sense and payed corkage when reboarding.

Now for the list (and FYI I make no assumptions on the accuracy of the NCL list as I grabbed it from another post but it looks right to me). What you'll see is the wine as listed by NCL with the on board price (not including the 15 per cent service fee) followed by a price in brackets at the end which represents what I can get it for locally (Houston). If you add to that price in brackets the $15 corkage fee, you'll see the difference for yourself.

Pinot Noir

Louis Jadot Pinot Noir Beaune "Bacchus Reserve" Burgundy, France $46 ($25)

Argyle Pinot Noir "Reserve" Willamette Valley, Oregon $73 ($30)

Chianti

Marchesi di Frescobaldi Chianti "Castiglioni" Tuscany, Italy $48 ($12)

Castello Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva Tuscany, Italy $42 ($18)

Malbec

Terrazas de los Andes Malbec Reserva Mendoza, Argentina $34 ($9)

Merlot

Benziger Family Winery Merlot Sonoma County, California $39 ($14)

Cakebread Merlot Napa Valley, California $94 ($50)

Duckhorn Merlot Napa Valley, California $109 ($45)

Zinfandel

Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel "Heritage Vines" Sonoma County, California $34 ($13)

Neyers Zinfandel "Pato Vineyard" Contra Costa County, California $79 ($20)

Shiraz / Syrah

Wolf Blass Shiraz "Yellow Label" South Australia $32 ($10)

Tintara Shiraz McLaren Vale, South Australia $39 ($17)

Cabernet Sauvignon

J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon "Seven Oaks" Paso Robles, California $37 ($12)

Columbia Crest Cab Sauv "Grand Estates" Columbia Valley, Washington $28 ($11)

Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley, California $98 ($35)

Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $89 ($24)

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $156 ($90)

New World Red Blends

Duckhorn Zinfandel Blend "Paraduxx" Napa Valley, California $96 ($30)

Old World Red Blends Bottle

Marqués de Cáceres Crianza Rioja, Spain $35 ($12)

Château Batailley Pauillac Bordeaux, France $109 ($41)

Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Tuscany, Italy $109 ($50)

I appreciate you taking the time to fo this. I am not a big (or particularly knowledgable) wine drinker, but looks like it would make sense for us to stop by a wine shop in Miami the day before we board (we are arriving the day prior to our cruise on the Epic in December) and pick up a few bottles to enjoy while sailing. That Malbec price on the ship blows me away, as that is one of the few wines I on the list I am familiar with, and that we drink regularly.

I can buy Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling locally for $10 and they sell it for $28. I'm trying to find the other whites to 1) compare prices and 2) buy one now to try out to see which ones we like (don't mind pouring $10 down the drain but $28 not so much).

I picked up wine in Florida at Walgreens for a good price prior to my Epic cruise. It made economic sense even with the corkage fee, heavy to tote around, but worth it in the long run. Here in Mass we can only buy wine in package stores so it was quite a treat to just walk into the drug store and come out with a brown bag of vino;)

I may just purchase a couple of bottles here (So Cal) and pay the $15 corkage fee. We have a store called BEVMO that is having their nickel sale. You buy one bottle at regular price and get the second bottle for a nickel.

Even with the $15 corkage fee, it will be a lot cheaper for me to lug it in my suitcase. I can get Beringer White Zinfandel for about $10 a bottle.

We aren't big wine drinkers, but we are participating in a cabin crawl, and thought it would be nice to have wine for the visitors.

I don't like that they charge the corkage fee whether you are drinking it in your cabin or in the MDR. I think the fee should only be charged if you take it to the dining room, but that's JMO.

Couple of nice featues for bringing on board. You have easy access while in cabin as well as in the restaurants. As a courtesy, NCL (regardless of whether ship purchased or brought onboard) will store your leftovers after a meal. Saves the trouble of carrying around after meals. And you save the service charge.

How many bottles of wine are you allowed to bring onboard? Do you pay the corkage fee at embarcation?

I'm not aware of a limit on the number of bottles you can bring on. You pay corkage right after the security scanners as you board either on your initial embarcation day or when you reboard carrying wine at any port. If you put wine in your checked luggage it will go through a luggage scanner and most likely be detected. Your bag will then be delivered to a claim lounge (some will call this the naughty room) and you will get a notice to go there to retrieve it. At this point they will search your bags and offer you the opportunity to pay corkage on wine or will confiscate non-corkage wine and all spirits and hold them for you until the last night of the cruise. The biggest hassle here is that you won't get that luggage until later embaraction evening and you'll have to lug it back to your room yourself.

....I don't like that they charge the corkage fee whether you are drinking it in your cabin or in the MDR. I think the fee should only be charged if you take it to the dining room, but that's JMO.

The reason for the charge is to make up for the lost revenue they would have made by selling it to you onboard, even for cabin consumption. I don't like it either, as we buy PLENTY of bottles onboard anyways - in an attempt to make up for those that do not drink at all.

Many of our wines would need to be chilled. How do you accomplish that, when you have to carry the wine into the dining room as you consume it? We're used to having the wine delivered to the dining room ahead of time on Celebrity. Just curious, since we'll probably carry some on for our NCL cruise. TIA :)

So I'm a wine guy and I read a lot of posts about the cost of wine, wine packages, corkage, etc so I thought I'd try to be a bit of help from the perspective of paying corkage vs buying aboard at NCL prices.

A couple of notes... 1) I drink red so I've only done comparisons on reds I'm familiar with, 2) the NCL prices are subject to a 15 per cent service fee on top of what's quoted, 3) NCLs wine markup isn't really all that out of touch with the markup you'd pay at a decent restaurant, 4) the prices I've shown that you can typically get the wines listed for locally are on the most recent vintage as the NCL list I found on another post is not vintage-specific.

Before I get to the list it is almost the case that the more expensive the wine you drink the more it makes sense to carry on and pay the $15 corkage. On the lowest end wines on the NCL list you'll still save by carrying on and paying corkage but you may find the convenience of buying aboard worth the extra $$.

On my most recent cruises I have carried on and paid the corkage and supplemented by buying local grape in ports where it made sense and payed corkage when reboarding.

Now for the list (and FYI I make no assumptions on the accuracy of the NCL list as I grabbed it from another post but it looks right to me). What you'll see is the wine as listed by NCL with the on board price (not including the 15 per cent service fee) followed by a price in brackets at the end which represents what I can get it for locally (Houston). If you add to that price in brackets the $15 corkage fee, you'll see the difference for yourself.

Pinot Noir

Louis Jadot Pinot Noir Beaune "Bacchus Reserve" Burgundy, France $46 ($25)

Argyle Pinot Noir "Reserve" Willamette Valley, Oregon $73 ($30)

Chianti

Marchesi di Frescobaldi Chianti "Castiglioni" Tuscany, Italy $48 ($12)

Castello Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva Tuscany, Italy $42 ($18)

Malbec

Terrazas de los Andes Malbec Reserva Mendoza, Argentina $34 ($9)

Merlot

Benziger Family Winery Merlot Sonoma County, California $39 ($14)

Cakebread Merlot Napa Valley, California $94 ($50)

Duckhorn Merlot Napa Valley, California $109 ($45)

Zinfandel

Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel "Heritage Vines" Sonoma County, California $34 ($13)

Neyers Zinfandel "Pato Vineyard" Contra Costa County, California $79 ($20)

Shiraz / Syrah

Wolf Blass Shiraz "Yellow Label" South Australia $32 ($10)

Tintara Shiraz McLaren Vale, South Australia $39 ($17)

Cabernet Sauvignon

J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon "Seven Oaks" Paso Robles, California $37 ($12)

Columbia Crest Cab Sauv "Grand Estates" Columbia Valley, Washington $28 ($11)

Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley, California $98 ($35)

Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $89 ($24)

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $156 ($90)

New World Red Blends

Duckhorn Zinfandel Blend "Paraduxx" Napa Valley, California $96 ($30)

Marqués de Cáceres Crianza Rioja, Spain $35 ($12)

Château Batailley Pauillac Bordeaux, France $109 ($41)

Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Tuscany, Italy $109 ($50)

thank you for a very informative posting.

Nita

I may just purchase a couple of bottles here (So Cal) and pay the $15 corkage fee. We have a store called BEVMO that is having their nickel sale. You buy one bottle at regular price and get the second bottle for a nickel.

Even with the $15 corkage fee, it will be a lot cheaper for me to lug it in my suitcase. I can get Beringer White Zinfandel for about $10 a bottle.

We aren't big wine drinkers, but we are participating in a cabin crawl, and thought it would be nice to have wine for the visitors.

I don't like that they charge the corkage fee whether you are drinking it in your cabin or in the MDR. I think the fee should only be charged if you take it to the dining room, but that's JMO.

You are my twin as I love Beringer White Zinfandel. Many years ago I visited their winery in the Napa Valley. One of my nursing buddies gave me the biggest bottle of Beringers I have ever seen for a graduation gift. I am saving it for the cruise. :p Thanks for the heads up on the BEVMO sale.

Many of our wines would need to be chilled. How do you accomplish that, when you have to carry the wine into the dining room as you consume it? We're used to having the wine delivered to the dining room ahead of time on Celebrity. Just curious, since we'll probably carry some on for our NCL cruise. TIA :)
I'm probably mis-reading your question, but why wouldn't you just put the bottle in your stateroom refrigerator until you're headed to the dining room? If you have them keep it for you once opened, they will refrigerate it.

I don't like it either, as we buy PLENTY of bottles onboard anyways - in an attempt to make up for those that do not drink at all.
Too funny! We do the same.

You are my twin as I love Beringer White Zinfandel. Many years ago I visited their winery in the Napa Valley. One of my nursing buddies gave me the biggest bottle of Beringers I have ever seen for a graduation gift. I am saving it for the cruise. :p Thanks for the heads up on the BEVMO sale.

Another fan of the Beringer white Zinfandel. Also, the $10 price here in MA is for the 1.5 liter not the .75 liter. NCL states right on its website that the corkage fee is $15 for any size. Definitely worth wringing your own on board.

<<Zinfandel:

Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel "Heritage Vines" Sonoma County, California $34 ($13)>>

We are Zinfandel drinkers and we have to fly to wherever the port is. If we bought wine on the way from the airport to the port and paid the $18 -- or even a $15 -- corkage fee,

we'd be paying almost as much as what the wine onboard costs. So, for us the convenience of not having to find wine to bring aboard is worth the extra $5 or so since we only have wine occasionally with dinner and rarely in our cabin.

Actually, we've bought wine onboard for $25 + $3.25 gratuity = $28.25 which makes it even more sensible for us not to bring wine aboard.

I've heard that if it's the same brand that's carried on board that it's a hit or miss of no corkage fee?

Probably, because of the ambiguous language in the FAQ (one could reasonably argue that the corkage fee only applies to wines not on NCL's wine list). If the person at the check point is confused by it/not trained properly you may get a pass.

We bring our own wine and pay the corkage fee. We have found in the past that if you do buy wine (from any of the cruise lines) very often they are "out" of the more reasonably priced wines. Just our experience. This way we are assured we have what we like to drink.:D

On our last cruise, I brought my own wine aboard and this worked out fine. I was coming out ahead even with the corkage fees....I even had some left to bring home. I understand that they offer wine packages now, does anyone know much about them? From what Ive seen, they have a list for this, but it does not include all their wines.

I can buy Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling locally for $10 and they sell it for $28. I'm trying to find the other whites to 1) compare prices and 2) buy one now to try out to see which ones we like (don't mind pouring $10 down the drain but $28 not so much).

$10 plus $15 corkage equals $25, right? $3 difference?

Sparks... here's the complete wine list that I jacked from a different thread. As I indicated in my OP I simply grabbed a sample of reds that I'm familiar with from it. I expect (but don't hold me to it) the story will be the same with the whites as reds... that being you'll always be better off carrying on and paying corkage than buying on board. But as we've already seen on the lower price-point wines that "savings" might only be ~$5 per bottle and each individual will have to make a call as to what his or her convenience cut-off point is. I will say that for the reds I bring on (not on the NCL list) the comparitive mark up difference will save me $50 - $75 per bottle and I'm drinking wine from "my" wine list not theirs.

Champagne & Sparkling Wine

Champagne Price NCL NCLA

Taittinger Brut "La Française" Champagne, France $74 072 522AMR

Moët & Chandon "Imperial" Champagne, France $69 071 502AMR

Veuve Clicquot Brut "Yellow Label" Champagne, France $82 123 504AMR

Dom Pérignon Brut Champagne, France $198 080 022AMR

Krug Grand Cuvée Champagne Reims, France $220 073 506AMR

Sparkling

Zardetto Prosecco Brut Veneto, Italy $34 100 306AMR

Segura Viudas Brut Cava Catalonia, Spain $32 101 310AMR

Mumm Napa Blanc de Noirs Napa Valley, California $39 150 062AMR

White Wine

Riesling

(Reese-ling) Apple, lemon, floral, apricot, fruity aromas, usually slightly sweet, with acidity for balance, and occasionally a mineral quality.

Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling Columbia Valley, Washington $29 160 334AMR

Studert-Prüm Riesling Auslese Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany $68 290 342AMR

Bex Riesling Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany $32 292 338AMR

Spy Valley Riesling Marlborough, New Zealand $39 288 340AMR

Pinot Grigio

(Pee-noe Gree-joe) crisp, light, acidic, with pear, peach, and apricot, often with a light musky aroma.

Danzante Pinot Grigio delle Venezie, Italy $28 508 184AMR

Bertani Pinot Grigio "Velante" Veneto, Italy $32 515 344AMR

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio Valdadige Veneto, Italy $37 509 190AMR

Cantina Terlano Pinot Grigio Alto Adige, Italy $39 511 348AMR

Sauvignon Blanc

(So-veen-YONH Blonh) Lemony, grassy, herbal aroma. Crisp, tangy, citrus and melon flavor. Usually quite dry.

Matua Valley Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough, New Zealand $35 280 336AMR

Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley, California $64 140 332AMR

Hogue Fumé Blanc Columbia Valley, Washington $28 136 156AMR

Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc Sonoma County, California $39 138 160AMR

Chardonnay Bottle

(Shar-done-NAY) Buttery, creamy, appley, lemon and pineapple; medium-dry to full-bodied. Vanilla, butterscotch and smoke notes if oak-aged.

Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuissé Burgundy, France $46 216 140AMR

Waterbrook Chardonnay Columbia Valley, Washington $33 229 330AMR

Meridian Vineyards Chardonnay Santa Barbara County, California $28 122 132AMR

Cuvaison Chardonnay Napa Valley, Carneros California $43 118 314AMR

Argyle Chardonnay "Nuthouse" Willamette Valley, Oregon $58 146 316AMR

Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay "Russian River Ranches," Sonoma Coast, California $45 120 142AMR

Jordan Chardonnay Russian River Valley, California $79 124 320AMR

Patz & Hall Chardonnay "Dutton Ranch," Russian River Valley, California $94 022 308AMR

Grgich Hills Chardonnay Napa Valley, California $89 020 324AMR

Ramey Chardonnay Carneros, California $85 142 318AMR

White Blends

Conundrum White California $53 1101 368AMR

D’Arenberg White "The Stump Jump" McLaren Vale South, Australia $33 1108 362AMR

Michel Leon Gewürztraminer Alsace, France $28 1102 370AMR

Beringer Blanc "Alluvium" Knights Valley, California $42 1103 364AMR

Navarro Gewürztraminer Anderson Valley, California $49 1105 360AMR

Red Wine

Pinot Noir

(PEA-no N’whar) Light to medium bodied; flavors of berries, and cherry, with truffle and clove-spice, smoke notes.

King Estate Pinot Noir Oregon $58 570 468AMR

Schug Pinot Noir Carneros, California $49 568 250AMR

Louis Jadot Pinot Noir Beaune "Bacchus Reserve" Burgundy, France $46 725 472AMR

Wild Horse Pinot Noir Central Coast, California $48 716 464AMR

Argyle Pinot Noir "Reserve" Willamette Valley, Oregon $73 712 466AMR

Chianti

(Key Ont Tee) sweet, tart cherry fruit flavors, bright ruby-red color, sometimes dry, becoming delicate, mild and velvety with age

Marchesi di Frescobaldi Chianti "Castiglioni" Tuscany, Italy $48 1318 204AMR

Castello Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva Tuscany, Italy $42 050 416AMR

Malbec

(Mahl-bek) blackberry, currant, ripe plum flavors, spicy notes with very deep ruby color and ripe, ample tannins

Terrazas de los Andes Malbec Reserva Mendoza, Argentina $34 784 494AMR

Merlot Bottle

Price Bin #

(Mare-LOW) Medium-bodied, dry and smooth with fruity black current, berry, and fresh flavors. Hints of mocha, cedar and vanilla, if oak-aged.

Benziger Family Winery Merlot Sonoma County, California $39 542 244AMR

Gordon Brothers Merlot Columbia Valley, Washington $53 1328 456AMR

Cakebread Merlot Napa Valley, California $94 201 460AMR

Nickel & Nickel Merlot "Harris Vineyard" Oakville, California $89 1335 454AMR

Shafer Merlot Napa Valley, California $86 1333 458AMR

Duckhorn Merlot Napa Valley, California $109 1326 452AMR

Zinfandel

Zinfandel (ZIN-fan-dell) Hearty, robust and tannic with jammy berry-like flavors and a touch of pepper and spice.

Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel "Heritage Vines" Sonoma County, California $34 576 474AMR

Neyers Zinfandel "Pato Vineyard" Contra Costa County, California $79 732 214AMR

Shiraz / Syrah

(Seer-rah) Full-bodied smokey and peppery, with sweet blackberries, prunes and smoke. Strong tannins.

Wolf Blass Shiraz "Yellow Label" South Australia $32 042 206AMR

Tintara Shiraz McLaren Vale, South Australia $39 742 480AMR

Artesa Syrah Sonoma Valley, California $53 746 218AMR

Cabernet Sauvignon

(Cah-bear-NAY so-veen YONH) Black cherry, current (cassis). Cedar and vanilla if oak-aged. Rich, medium to full bodied and strong dry tannins.

J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon "Seven Oaks" Paso Robles, California $37 200 434AMR

Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon "Grand Estates" Columbia Valley, Washington $28 1352 436AMR

Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley, California $98 520 444AMR

Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Central, Valley Chile $29 205 438AMR

*Prices listed do not include 15% gratuity. Price listed is subject to sales tax when required by law.

Cabernet Sauvignon cont.

Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $109 058 440AMR

Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $89 518 226AMR

St. Francis Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County, California $49 512 224AMR

Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $78 648 446AMR

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $156 638 450AMR

Pillar Rock Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District, California $220 055 448AMR

Merryvale Cabernet Sauvignon "Reserve" Napa Valley, California $74 519 442AMR

New World Red Blends

De Martino Carmenère "Legado" Maipo Valley Reserva Central Valley, Chile $39 752 486AMR

Francis Coppola Claret "Black Label Diamond Series" California $49 1307 372AMR

Duckhorn Zinfandel Blend "Paraduxx" Napa Valley, California $96 1310 374AMR

Fairview Red "Goats do Roam In Villages" Coastal Region, South Africa $35 1320 422AMR

Veramonte "Primus Alto de Casablanca" Casablanca Valley, Aconcagua Chile $47 1319 420AMR

Chimney Rock Winery Cabernet Blend "Elevage" Stags Leap District, California $119 1306 376AMR

Franciscan Oakville Estate Meritage "Magnificat" Napa Valley, California $89 1304 402AMR

Swanson "Alexis" Oakville, California $104 1305 380AMR

Quintessa Cabernet Blend Rutherford, California $199 1303 282AMR

Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages Beaujolais, France $27 163 258AMR

Marqués de Cáceres Crianza Rioja, Spain $35 1314 268AMR

M. Chapoutier Côtes du Rhône "Belleruche" Rhône, France $36 1308 264AMR

Castello del Poggio Barbera d’Asti Piedmont, Italy $27 1316 390AMR

Château Batailley Pauillac Bordeaux, France $109 1321 400AMR

Château Bellisle Mondotte St.-Emilion Bordeaux, France $35 1323 404AMR

Château Mont-Redon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rhône, France $51 1309 406AMR

San Felice Toscana "Vigorello" Tuscany, Italy $94 786 476AMR

Ca’ Marcanda Toscana "Magari" Tuscany, Italy $105 156 408AMR

Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Tuscany, Italy $109 756 488AMR

White Zinfandel / Rosé

(Whyt ZIN-fan-dell) Made from the Zinfandel grapes. Usually sweet, fruity, crisp and fresh.

Beringer White Zinfandel California $24 182 498AMR

E. Guigal Rosé Côtes du Rhône Rhône, France $40 184 199AMR

Dessert Wine

Selbach-Oster Riesling Beerenauslese $95 794 464AMR

"Bernkasteler Badstube" Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany

Archived