An odd question

cperk97

We booked a balcony cabin for the first time on our cruise for Sept. So my question is, how windy is it on the balcony while you are at sea? I know it's odd but I'm curious. Thanks in advance!

Jo Anne

It depends on where your balcony is for one thing. If it is on the stern you won't have much wind at all. If it is on the sides it will be a little windy but they are not anywhere near as windy as the bow of the ship.

That's a tough question answer as it depends on a lot of variables:

- Is it a front-facing, side or aft balcony?

- Ship speed

- Wind speed and direction

In general, I'd expect a front-facing balcony to be somewhat windy when at sea, regardless of weather conditions. Aft-facing balconies tend to be much calmer. Side balconies vary a lot dependent on speed and weather conditions.

Not an odd question at all. (but it would help to put the question in the TITLE).

Meanwhile.... most of the time there will be very little wind unless you hand over the rail. As the ship moves through the water at 20 mph, the wind will blow down the side of the ship. If there is a heavy wind blowing towards the ship on your side, it might blow in on you. If it is coming from the other side, or the back, then not so much.

This assumes you in a side cabin. Think about riding down the street in your car at 20-25 mph with the window open. Sort of the same thing.

most of the balconies ive been in can get pretty windy. a word of warning. be very careful opening the door to the hallway if the balcony door is open. either the balcony door or the cabin door will slam shut.

most of the balconies ive been in can get pretty windy. a word of warning. be very careful opening the door to the hallway if the balcony door is open. either the balcony door or the cabin door will slam shut.

Yes, learnt that on a previous ship!! :D

Archived