easrtn(navigator) or southern (adventure)

Planning on a cruise for Aug of 2006. I know I have to wait for RCCI to release the dates in the coming month or two. My question is this. What cruise shall I take? Should I go eastern on the Navigator of the Seas, or southern on the Adventure of the Seas. I've been on the Voyager of the seas and that is exactly like the Adventure. The Navigator is a new and improved version with Chops as well as Portofino's premium restaurants. I didn't try Portofinos the last time, but would like to tryit and Chops.

I've been to the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St Maarten on cruises form the 70's. My daughter has never been to any of the places either ship sails.

Which ship is better, and which itinerary is better? What would you pick? Which is more important to you? The intinerary or the ship? I don't mind going to any of the places and neither does she.

Post or write directly to me please.

Ron

Hi Ron. I haven't been on the Navigator even though I'm thinking of booking that cruise for next fall. I was on AOS last October, and it was one of our best cruises ever. The ship is amazing (and beautiful) and the itinerary is hard to beat IMHO. You get St. Thomas and St. Maarten (2 of my favorite ports) plus Aruba and Curacao which are usually only found on Southern Caribbean cruises. I can't tell you which ship is better, but I do favor the AOS itinerary. Yes, itinerary is most important to me even though I've been to most ports already. If your daughter has been to none of the ports, she'll most likely love all of them, whichever cruise you choose. Make sure you do go to Portofino - it was well worth the surcharge. Everything was delicious.

I noticed in your signature that you sailed on several Sitmar cruises. I was on one Sitmar cruise back in the 80's. It was my second cruise and I have such fond memories. Mexican Riviera cruise - I need to go that route again soon!

Elf

Ron - I was pretty sure that I remembered you from the past. Its nice to see some of the same people again - I haven't been on these boards for quite awhile now. We are thinking about May 2006 - throught about August again as it was a wonderful time of year, but have started thinking about how lucky we were that we didn't run into an hurricanes - but August might still be a possibility

I'm starting to really think about the southern - but would like to have lots of info from others.

Jan

Guest cruzr44

We were trying to decide between Navigator and Adventure and ended up with Adventure as we wanted to go back to St Thomas and St Maarten, plus we have not been to Aruba or Curacao. We are also trying an "aft" cabin for the first time (9390). That I am a little nervous about, afraid of too much motion. I will be taking Bonine/Meclizine daily. We are usually mid ship so this will be very different. I also think you will enjoy whatever ship you end up on. Happy cruising!

My mom & I did the Aruba route on AOS in October...it was our first cruise and overall we had a great time on the ship! I am doing Navigator this Oct but the western. (I want to do new ports......). I was undecided about doing the same class of ship again BUT we will know where almost everything is...and we have the same cabin as last time, just on the opposite side of the ship. (I hope I don't go to the starboard side by accident....I guess the people in the other cabin may have a problem with me trying to get in! LOL)

Since I only took one cruise I probably can't help you...BUT the southern route was great. The weather was decent for part of it, and a little icky on some days. BUT we had so much fun I really didn't let it bug me. Come to think about it....it rained on 2 ports and was cloudy for a thord. We only had good weather in Aruba. Hmm......I really never thought about that before.

Anyway.......I think everyone should do southern once in their life!

We did the eastern on the Radiance last month and loved it, but we have now booked the Adventure of the Seas for January 29/06. We LOVED the itinerary and we want to try a Voyaguer class ship. I really like the fact the ship is docked in Aruba from 8am until 1am, really giving us a full day and evening to explore the island!

How can I get through another 320 days???? :(

I suggest the AOS - we had such a great time on that cruise, we are doing her other itinerary this fall. Many of RCI's ships sail variations on the same eastern or western itinerary. The AOS is the only one that does Aruba and Curacao.

But either way, you'll be on a beautiful ship seeing exciting, beautiful places. You can't really go wrong!

We were on the NOS in November. We did the Western and have done both the Eastern and Western before. Regardless of where you are going the NOS is the nicest and best ship I have ever been on. We have cruised about 25 times. We had our first balcony and the food was fantastic.

I would sail that ship again in a heartbeat regardless of where it is going. If you are picking for a ship I would highly recommend NOS

We sailed on the Grandeur out of San Juan and there were a lot of Puerto Ricans on board. I think they added to the flavor of the cruise. I didn't happen across any pushy people, except for some drunk whom I think was from NY!

Michelle

don't know how to say or ask this, but i've seen posts where people were complaining about the locals from Puerto Rico taking over the ship. I don't care who the people are, but are the locals pushy?

I sailed from Puerto Rico on AOS last September, and the ship had a very large Puerto Rican contigent. However, I did not notice any "pushiness"from them at all. They mostly spoke to each other in Spanish, some would greet you in the elevators etc.,others would not, no big deal. We met and spoke to more Americans, who were always pleasant and friendly,and other people from the Caribbean (I live in Trinidad).

The one thing I noticed was that the Puerto Ricans all dressed up alot, especially the women with their well accessorised outfits, if you went to the pool deck you could always spot them tottering about in heels and a barely there bikini lol!

We've done 7 out of San Juan, 3 on the AOS. I agree with another poster that the Puerto Ricans enhance the experience. We've never found them pushier than anyone else. This is a great ship and itinerary.

SeaBaby

On a recent Rhapsody cruise, our head waiter (he worked on AOS for 3 years) explained the PR situation to me. He said that the locals can book a cruise as "stand-by" for very little compared to U.S. citizens. "Rosario" told me that they line up with luggage in tow, maybe they can get on, maybe not. I asked about the 72-hour passenger manifest rules and was told that they don't apply in Puerto Rico.

I have to say the AOS Aruba route is such a nice itinerary. I have never been on the Navigator as of yet. I have done Eastern carribbean twice and the deep southern once,and liked it so much to book the same itinerary again this December! You cannot go wrong with the stops on the different islands. St. John was a great day well spent when stopping at St. Thomas!

Happy cruising!

Luann

Archived