Buckingham Palace or Hampton Court

If you haven't done either, I think you're unlikely to be disappointed whichever you choose.

However, do have a think about timing, and whether you're likely to spend a full day at either site - and what else you might also want to do with the rest of the day. I'm not one to rush through a place, or to try to tick off as many places as possible, but I know that other people have different travelling styles.

Unfortunately, it's Kate's dress that's on show at Buckingham Palace this summer. Not Pippa's. :)

My own preference, without question, is Hampton Court. More historic, more to see. Wonderful grounds too, and a pleasant town. Indeed, I much prefer Hampton Court to Windsor Castle.

http://*******/l8p0Jy

However, you will need more time for a visit to Hampton Court than you would for the Palace--a good half day at least. (Last time I was there, I made it into a leisurely all-day affair.) Remember to take into account the time it takes to get there & back (by train from Waterloo; or, for an even more leisurely journey, you can travel one way by river launch on the Thames).

http://*******/kLT9yJ

BTW, I only go to the Palace by invitation.;) Kate's dress is not a sufficient attraction, IMHO, although I'd be fascinated to get a closer look at Beatrice's antlers, er, fascinator:D:

http://www.nicolewillis.com/blog/images/beatrice-1-435.jpg

PS: For some reason the links I pasted in above don't work from here, but go to http://www.Londontoolkit.com and search Hampton Court; you'll find the pages to which I was trying to link.

I have been to both. Definitely Buckingham Palace. The Palace is only open for tours two months of the year (August/September -while the Queen is at Balmoral) and you are hitting it just right. If you get to London again, Hampton Court is open all year, but you may not time it right again for the inside tour of Buckingham Palace. Additionally, there will be items on display from the royal wedding in April that you may not get to see again (cake, dress). I wish I were in London this summer, I would go to BP!

Lastly, Hampton Court is a bit out of town and a little more difficult to get to. If you are staying in London, you can take the Tube or even walk to the Palace.

PS: For some reason the links I pasted in above don't work from here ...
CC is blocking this URL redirect service, as well as another one that I use. Presumably, this is to stop people from clandestinely inserting links to other sites that are banned.

I'd say Hampton Court. There is so much more to do there compared to Buck House. You can visit the palace, the gardens, the maze, watch the world go by on the Thames etc. At Buck House you see a few selected rooms. No contest in my book (assuming its a nice day weatherwise!!).

Simon

OP,

It really depends on your interest. If you are more interested in seeing ancient history (Hampton Court) it is a lovely Old Castle with lots of history, and absolutely stunningly beautiful gardens.

On the other hand, if you would be more interested in modern living history (Buckingham Palace). It is after all where the present day Royal Family inhabits. If the items from the recent wedding are of interest, as you have lived through these recent times, means more to you, you would be able to see them.

For me, Queen Elizabeth holds a fascination I can't explain. Anything and everything to do with her and her family would be on my to do list.

Only you can say which holds more interest for you.

I've never been to Buck House but I have recently been to Hampton Court, and it was very interesting and enjoyable. We finished off with, as someone else suggested, a boat trip down the river to Richmond where we had a few drinks in the river-side pubs. At Richmond you're on the tub network, or there's an 'overground' (horrible term) station.

At Richmond you're on the tub network, or there's an 'overground' (horrible term) station.
The Overground from Richmond won't be very useful for most visitors, because it doesn't go into town.

However, there is also a National Rail mainline station with lots of trains that go to Clapham Junction (change for Victoria) and Waterloo. That's generally the choice for getting into the centre of town from Richmond; the Tube is relatively slow but may be more convenient depending on precisely where you want to get to.

Thanks for all your responses.

I was planning on spending the whole day at Hampton Court and get there by train. And after all your response, I think I will stick with that and research coming back by water.

BTW, while at Windsor, I saw the Queen leaving for the races!

OP,

It really depends on your interest. If you are more interested in seeing ancient history (Hampton Court) it is a lovely Old Castle with lots of history, and absolutely stunningly beautiful gardens.

On the other hand, if you would be more interested in modern living history (Buckingham Palace). It is after all where the present day Royal Family inhabits. If the items from the recent wedding are of interest, as you have lived through these recent times, means more to you, you would be able to see them.

For me, Queen Elizabeth holds a fascination I can't explain. Anything and everything to do with her and her family would be on my to do list.

Only you can say which holds more interest for you.

agabbymama~

I wouldn't characterise Hampton Court Palace as "ancient" by any means. The central portion isn't even quite 500 years old.:) Why, any castle in England, Wales, or Scotland is significantly older than Hampton Court.

If you want ancient, try Stonehenge (ca. 3000 B.C. or perhaps as much as a few hundred years later) or Avebury (ca. 2600 B.C.), among other neolithic sites on this sceptred isle.

Buckingham Palace is a relatively recent addition to the London landscape, the central portion having been a mere townhouse for the Duke of Buckingham in the early 1700s. If memory serves, the upstart Hanoverians commandeered it in 1761. (George III bought it for Queen Charlotte, who sought a pied-a-terre to which she could repair for relief from her mad husband's prattling, and which she could use as a base for her shopping expeditions at Harrods.) It didn't become the official royal residence until Queen Victoria's time.

But Vicky herself, namesake of the current Cunard liner, much preferred Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, as well as Windsor Castle and Balmoral. The latter two manses, I'm told, are also the favoured residences of Her Current Majesty, who, depending on whom you ask, may or may not be the namesake of another Cunarder.

And now you know... the REST of the story!:D

While at Windsor, I saw the Queen leaving for the races!

Did she give you a tip for the Derby?:D

One day in September 1979 I was walking past Lancaster House, minding my own business, and had to stop while a limousine pulled out of the drive. Sitting in the back, about two feet away from where I was standing, and looking straight at me, was Robert Mugabe.:eek: Not quite the same thrill as seeing Her Majesty off to enjoy a day at the races!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Hampton Court. But remember--it's haunted.;)

http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/stories/ghosts.aspx

Hello! Could someone tell me if Buckingham Palace is close (walking distance) to The Mint Hotel, formerly City Inn, Westminster located at 30 John Islip St. We are planning tours for our visit in late aug/early Sept. Thank you!

Hello! Could someone tell me if Buckingham Palace is close (walking distance) to The Mint Hotel, formerly City Inn, Westminster located at 30 John Islip St. We are planning tours for our visit in late aug/early Sept. Thank you!

Yes, a very pleasant stroll indeed. 1.1 miles, according to Google maps.

The area around The Mint is a delightful warren of old streets (although modern buildings are interspersed with older one). And your hotel is just a hop, skip, & jump from the peaceful surround of St. John's, Smith Square:

http://www.sjss.org.uk/

Archived