Do not hesitate to get your passport!

I was having reservations on getting my passport and was planning on using my birth certificate instead but I can say that it took me exactly two weeks to get my passport from start to finish.I don't know if this is not typical for the government but I am very very surprised with the fast turnaround

I was having reservations on getting my passport and was planning on using my birth certificate instead but I can say that it took me exactly two weeks to get my passport from start to finish.I don't know if this is not typical for the government but I am very very surprised with the fast turnaround

Yup, makes life a lot easier....

Also, with the idiot politicians in DC fighting about the budget and debt, you run the risk of dealing with a possible gov't shutdown later this summer. Get your passport now while you still can! If something does happen, and services are delayed, don't come complaining on the CC boards later on!;)

Also, with the idiot politicians in DC fighting about the budget and debt, you run the risk of dealing with a possible gov't shutdown later this summer. Get your passport now while you still can! If something does happen, and services are delayed, don't come complaining on the CC boards later on!;)

Also I have seen a proposed form that some people applying for a passport will be required to fill out. It asks for the names and phone number of all your employers since you were 14 years old. The government estimates it would take 45 minutes to fill out the form. I don't think it would be humanly possible to ever fill it out.

Carnival strongly suggests that you have a passport. We applied for our passport prior to our Sensation Cruise....DH is sad that no one wants to stamp them anymore. Glad to hear they take less time to process, ours took over two months to get. Is the government going to close this summer? Ahhh something else to look forward to.

How much does a passport cost? I have looked online, but have seen different amounts. Does it vary by state?

Passports are issued by the U.S. State Deptartment, not states, it is a federal I.D.

The current fees for a passport book (valid for travel throughout the world), for a FIRST TIME APPLICANT is $110 +$25 processing fee = $135 total

First time applicants must apply in person.

If you are renewing it is only the $110 fee and you can apply by mail.

Here is the passport link on the State Dept. website: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

My wife just received hers back in the mail this week. It took about 3 weeks actually AND they didn't return her birth certificate as it was stated they would. Did all of you receive your birth certificate back?

They will mail the birth certificate separately, so it will probably come next week.

My wife just received hers back in the mail this week. It took about 3 weeks actually AND they didn't return her birth certificate as it was stated they would. Did all of you receive your birth certificate back?

It doesn't come in the same envelope as the passport.

Also when you renew, the old passport is returned but doesn't come in the same envelope as the new passport.

I did. I believe they mail those separately. She should get the birth certificate back soon.

Yes, your supporting documents (birth certificate) will be returned by mail. I think they send them separately to reduce ID theft if someone were to steal your mail.

About applying in person for first time applicants: many post offices accept passport applications and often they can take your photos right there for a small additional fee. They really do make it pretty easy to apply for passports. Ours also were processed in 2-3 weeks.

I am considering getting ours for our trip next June, and seen an option for a passport card as opposed to a passport book. It's a little less than 1/2 the price, but I can't find what the difference is between the two?

Anyone have any experience with the passport card?

Here is the information straight from the State Dept. website:

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

So, if you never plan to fly out of the country you can get the passport card. The thing is, why limit yourself? You may in the future want to do a Med or Baltic cruise, and you'll need the passport. You might be injured in the Carribbean and you'll have to be flown home, then the passport card isn't valid for entry into the U.S. Its up to you.

When we first got our passport books, they would pull you out of line and put you in a line that head virtually no one in it. Now almost everyone has passports so that perk is gone.

Depends on who is on the cruise... our debarkation line was waaaay shorter on our last cruise than those who were in the non-passport line. Also, the customs processing was much quicker which allowed the line to move very fast...

For any Canadians who aren't aware: 10 year passports are coming out early in 2012. It's about damn time. Cost will be double what the 5 year passports cost, obviously.

Also, for those who got their passports back in late 2006/early 2007 may remember the massive amounts of applications that were coming in due to the announcement that a passport was now required to enter the USA via air. I don't know the numbers, but I assume there was a few million applications in a short period of time by people who never had a passport before. My daughter and I got caught in the mess of the understaffed passport offices. It took 2 months to get her first passport, and 3 months to get mine, which was a renewal.

So, that being said, all those passports from the big rush are about to expire. The passport office is expecting another rush, this time for renewals late this year and early next year. So if you're one of those people, like me, it might be a good idea to either wait it out and hope the 10 year passports arrive on schedule, or go ahead and renew in the next few months and beat the rush.

I have to admit I don't understand why a lot of folks seem to hesitant to get a passport. When I see all of the posts on the Carnival forums titled "Birth certificate okay?" or "Help--documentation question!" I think the posters would save themselves so much worry by just coughing up the $150 for a passport. Once you have it, you just don't have to think about it for a decade.

I applied for my daughter's passport the Friday that the government almost shut down. Had our fingers crossed that all would be well, and it was--three weeks later we had everything back.

Archived