Sleeping arrangements for toddlers

tommyjean

We are cruising in September to Alaska on HAL's Westerdam. I have three year old twins and I'm wondering about how they'll sleep on the cruise. They sleep with bed rails now, and both toss and turn. I really don't want want them to sleep with anyone else(otherwise the adults will be sleep deprived for a week). Anyone else have this issue? If so, what's the solution?? Thanks!

If the cabin is large enough, you could always put them on the floor....nowhere to roll! A sofa bed is pretty low to the ground....so if they were to roll off, they'd be ok. I'm assuming they're to big for a P&P...

Were it me, I'd make up a bed on the floor and let them wiggle all they want!

Depending on the bed situation, you can buy inflatable bed rails to bring with you. We used these for our twin boys when they were 3. We always get 2 connecting rooms, so they have 2 twin beds. Push the 2 beds together, lay some pillows or something down the middle to separate the 2 kids, then use 1 inflatable bed rail on each side. They really do fold down to almost nothing, so they're very easy to pack.

Is put the kids together in the sofa bed (I don't know what the bed arrangements are for your ship), with pillows in between. The less active one gets the outside, then we use a standard bed rail which I've broken down and packed into my luggage. I personally don't trust the blow up rails/things you rig up with cabin items, and the bed rail doesn't take up a lot of room in my bag.

I do hear you about not sleeping with the kids, we do that as a last resort because then both DH and I are sleep deprived...it's bad enough when it's just one of us but both is intolerable!

What are the bed configurations for your cabin? You don't say what cabin type yu booked, but all the quads I see have a single sofa and one upper. It doesn't sound like you would want a child in an upper, especially since if he fell out, it would be onto you! EM

It's a tricky situation! My husband and I will have one of the twins in our cabin and my mom, and niece (she's 25) will have the other twin in their cabin. My younger brother and wife will also have a cabin next to us. I'm thinking of having the twins stay with my mom and my niece stay with us. I can't imagine the twins sharing a bed, successfully anyway. I have one inflatable bumper but I didn't want to buy one or three more that I'll never use. They might be bunking on the floor or I'll take my pea pod beds. Really can't imagine having any "extra" room in my luggage though! Stay tuned for those questions! :)

We have had two different types of sleeper sofas on HAL, one that pulls out. If you had this type, why not take the mattress from it and put the mattress on the floor. It won't take up any more room than the bed, just fold the bed part up.

The other type of sleeper, sofa and the mattress running parallel to the wall. When the bed is acting as a "sofa" the mattress is the seat. The mattress is not far from the floor so you could use the blow up rails, or again try putting the mattress on the floor.

We had our room steward put two pack and plays in our cabin. So during the day we could fold them up and get them out of the way, but there was enough room for them to be out during naptime and sleep time. We did have to put sheets up so they couldn't "play" together through the beds....but that's what the clothespins are for!

We will also be on the Westerdam for our cruise in July. I requested a pack n play through my TA and he assured me it would be in the room when we embarked. I will be bringing my own sheet but aside from that it sure saves a lot of hassle to not bring our own!

Archived