Norwegian Sun Baltics Review

LordWinston

Hi. Thanks for the review. After doing Epic last month I want to try another NCL ship and the Baltics Cruise itinerary really caught my eye..

What was the average age on your cruise? For some reason I always think Baltic cruises and Fjords tend to appeal to slightly older passengers than say the Caribbean or the Med!!

In response to Wi-Fi at the ports... the only I found that was open was in Tallinn .. I think there was one in SPB but I never tried to connect to it...

Last year Copenhagen had it free too - the password was in the terminal on a poster. But this year the ship leaves from Copenhagen so it might not matter as much as last year it left from Dover so you had a few days before you hit Copenhagen. Reception on the upper decks was poor - it might work better on lower decks.

In response to Wi-Fi at the ports... the only I found that was open was in Tallinn .. I think there was one in SPB but I never tried to connect to it...

We were able to access in numerous ports. I want to say all of them but can verify. Tallinn has more than 1,700 wi-fi hot spots alone. In Helsinki, the public library gives you free access and provides computers also. Stockholm - numerous wi-fi spots near the palace and Gamala (old area) at the bridge. We took our laptop with us at some of these ports but mostly used our Iphones.

I have a question for those of you that have been. We were told that we would need special visa to get off the boat if we did not book tours through NCL, is that correct?

A visa is needed for St. Petersburg, if you book a private tour they should take care of that as well. Have a look at the EUROPE ports of call boards and look under the BALTICS topics and ask what others did for their ports and what visas were needed.

A visa is needed for St. Petersburg, if you book a private tour they should take care of that as well. Have a look at the EUROPE ports of call boards and look under the BALTICS topics and ask what others did for their ports and what visas were needed.

You definitely need a visa for St. Petersburg. When you book an excursion through NCL or privately, they take care of it. To get a visa on your own, single entry, is about $185 a person or more and you have to submit your US passport.

Here is some more info on the Russian via thing -- (As I understand it -- it seems like a catch 22 -- you don't need an 'official visa' if your trip is under 72 hours, but you won't be let off the ship if haven't booked a tour. Is that right?)

http://www.visitrussia.com/visas/visafreeentry.htm

Also, fellow cruisers -- what do you think -- the average age on the ship was -- 50's and 60's? I'm 46 myself and felt very comfortable. I found fellow cruisers to be smart, in shape and eager to hit the ports with gusto. I didn't hear a lot of complainers like I have on other cruises either. :D

Here is some more info on the Russian via thing -- (As I understand it -- it seems like a catch 22 -- you don't need an 'official visa' if your trip is under 72 hours, but you won't be let off the ship if haven't booked a tour. Is that right?)

http://www.visitrussia.com/visas/visafreeentry.htm

Also, fellow cruisers -- what do you think -- the average age on the ship was -- 50's and 60's? I'm 46 myself and felt very comfortable. I found fellow cruisers to be smart, in shape and eager to hit the ports with gusto. I didn't hear a lot of complainers like I have on other cruises either. :D

From the US State Department:

International Cruise Ship/Ferry Passengers: You are permitted to visit Russian ports without a visa for a period of up to 72 hours. If you wish to go ashore during port calls you may do so without visas, provided that you are with an organized tour at all times and accompanied by a tour operator who has been duly licensed by Russian authorities. These special entry/exit requirements do not apply to river boat cruise passengers and travelers coming to Russia on package tours. These travelers will need to apply for visas prior to entry, and should follow the general guidelines for entry/exit requirements.

Basically the tour operator obtains a group Visa is how I understand it.

I agree Winston... average age seemed to be mid 50'sish ..all our fellow passengers seemed to be with it :D

Archived