Handwashing delicates...

ducklite

Next year we're cruising for two weeks. We're doing carry on only (cruise casual every night) and I'm planning on packing very lightweight hand wash tops.

Here's the dilemna. Does anyone have a suggestion for something similar to Woolite, but in a powder form? I know I can use shampoo, but it's not really effective for removing stains or perspiration on clothing that I plan on wearing in a warm environment. I'd rather have something specifically made for hand washing clothing.

I guess that I can always try to find some Woolite in Italy before we board, but that's just one more "errand" to add.

At Target yesterday, it the travel product section, they had Tide in small packets that was for hand washables. Very convenient. You might check there.

Are you asking about your Windstar cruise? I am sure you've read up on the dress code, but be careful not to be too casual.

At Target yesterday, it the travel product section, they had Tide in small packets that was for hand washables. Very convenient. You might check there.

Are you asking about your Windstar cruise? I am sure you've read up on the dress code, but be careful not to be too casual.

Thanks for the heads up about the Tide--sounds like what I'm looking for.

Yes, the Windstar cruise. This is an example of the type of top I'm talking about. I have one very similar in style to this one, the same in "dressiness" only mine is B&W polka dots. I wear it with white slacks and black strappy stilettos. I was thinking outfits along this line would be fine, am I wrong?

570022995_001.jpg.e3503f7fbb68d89401b42087a104c050.jpg

I have used both of these products and both work very well. Forever New is a little costlier and I found it at our local Macy's and Dillards. I purchased Campsuds at our local camping store. Walmart sells a version of Campsuds as well. Both brands sell a travel size but you can always transfer either to a smaller container.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-New-Delicate-Fabric-Wash/dp/B000ZPGUF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309107971&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Campsuds-8oz/dp/B00194BOJW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309108080&sr=8-2

There is also such a thing as Woolite in individual liqui-packs. Each packet is .25 oz so you should be able to slip a few in your liquids bag. There was enough liquid in each for more than one sinkfull of hand wash. Very handy - about the size of a Shout wipe (also good to have). I found them on line - not sure where but it might have been Magellans. Just google "travel accessories."

Because we're traveling with only carry on, I don't want to fill my 3-1-1 bag with liquids for washing my tops and underwear. I suspect that I'll be hand washing pretty much every day--most of my clothes are machine washed on delicate and air dried at home so I won't be sending them out for "industrial" laundering at sea. :::eek:::

They still make granular Dreft to wash infant clothing. Just pack up a zip lock bag with some and it only takes a few grains to get some suds. Also you can use granular Biz for stains if you are careful on delicate things. Enjoy your trip:)

B.

Since I don't use hotel/cruise ship shampoo on my hair (I prefer my own brand) I often use that for hand washing. I also bring solid Fels Naptha soap in a ziploc bag.

I have the Shout wipes in individual packets too, in case of emergency. I like that packaging better than a tide pen or similar - wipes don't have to go in the liquids bag.

They still make granular Dreft to wash infant clothing. Just pack up a zip lock bag with some and it only takes a few grains to get some suds. Also you can use granular Biz for stains if you are careful on delicate things. Enjoy your trip:)

B.

THAT sounds like the solution I'm looking for. Haven't used Dreft in 25 years, and had forgotten all about it!

There is a powdered soap called Charlie's soap that works well for this sort of thing. You would only need a tiny amount since a load in an HE washer only requires 1 Tablespoon. I like the soap a lot for smelly laundry and baby items. It isn't expensive per load but depending on where you live you might have to order it.

Also, I'm planning on handwashing a few items on my next cruise because I'm going to try to pack a lot lighter. I'm going to take a larger plastic lock and lock container with me and put the article of clothing I'm washing inside w/water and soap. I think it will be a lot less messy and easier to agitate than using the sink. I don't think it will create a packing problem b/c it is lightweight and I can fill it it with things inside the suitcase so it shouldn't take any more room.

Have you tried the dry laundry sheets by Purex? They have soap, fabric softener and anti-static all on one sheet. I cut them in 3's so they go along way and take up no space in your bag. I put about 5 of them in a sandwich size ziploc bag but leave it unzipped and it takes up less space than a pair of underwear and it smells so good when you open your bag.

I forgot to add that since they are dry sheets you don't have to include them in your liquids. I used them on our January, 2011 cruise and I will be using them for our B2B next January. BTW, we will be doing carry on only as well!!

Next year we're cruising for two weeks. We're doing carry on only (cruise casual every night) and I'm planning on packing very lightweight hand wash tops.

Here's the dilemna. Does anyone have a suggestion for something similar to Woolite, but in a powder form? I know I can use shampoo, but it's not really effective for removing stains or perspiration on clothing that I plan on wearing in a warm environment. I'd rather have something specifically made for hand washing clothing.

I guess that I can always try to find some Woolite in Italy before we board, but that's just one more "errand" to add.

You can get Tide-To-Go packets at any Walmart or I always buy a box of granular and pack my own in a ziplic....

Have you tried the dry laundry sheets by Purex? They have soap, fabric softener and anti-static all on one sheet. I cut them in 3's so they go along way and take up no space in your bag. I put about 5 of them in a sandwich size ziploc bag but leave it unzipped and it takes up less space than a pair of underwear and it smells so good when you open your bag.

Um, didn't know they existed. For as long as I can remember I've used All Free and Clear for regular laundry and Woolite for the delicates. Just kind of make a beeline to them and ignore the rest of the stuff on the shelf.

So you take this sheet and put it in the water and it makes suds? This sounds like it might be a perfect solution. Takes zero room and I'm guessing would leave my clothes smelling nice in the suitcase. :)

That's exactly what I do...swish it around in the water and it makes suds, swish the clothes around in the sudsy water or let soak until clean, drain sudsy water and rinse clothes with clear water until no more suds...hang to dry. I leave the sheet in the water as I'm washing then when I'm ready to rinse I squeeze the sheet out into the washing water, swish the clothes around a little more and then rinse and hang to dry. Because the sink on the ship is so small, I cut the sheets into 3rds and it works great. The box I bought was called Island Fresh or something like that and it smelled great!

Thanks for the heads up about the Tide--sounds like what I'm looking for.

Yes, the Windstar cruise. This is an example of the type of top I'm talking about. I have one very similar in style to this one, the same in "dressiness" only mine is B&W polka dots. I wear it with white slacks and black strappy stilettos. I was thinking outfits along this line would be fine, am I wrong?

No, IME, that type of outfit is suitable for Windstar. I can't recall seeing a lot of stilettos, but they would be fine. Be careful of white slacks while sitting out on the deck, as the outside chair cushions sometimes get soot on them from the smoke stacks (?). Have seen women walking around with black on the seat of their pants many times.

No, IME, that type of outfit is suitable for Windstar. I can't recall seeing a lot of stilettos, but they would be fine. Be careful of white slacks while sitting out on the deck, as the outside chair cushions sometimes get soot on them from the smoke stacks (?). Have seen women walking around with black on the seat of their pants many times.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll plan on wearing something in a darker color if I'm going to be sitting outside, and save the white for the dining rooms.

I'll also have a pair of dressier flat/low wedge sandals with me, so if the seas are rough I'll substitute those.

There are a lot of negative reviews on the purex 3 in 1 sheets on Amazon. Staining of clothing seems to be a common complaint about this product.

I have used this product for probably 2 years now and I absolutely LOVE it.

I do an average of 6 loads of laundry a week and have never had any problems with the sheets.

I even keep the sheets after they have gone thru the dryer and place them in my dresser drawers to freshen the drawers. They smell sooooo good.

I can't comment on the negative reviews, I can only give my first hand experience. I have not had a single problem with staining or anything else with the Purex sheets. I love them and will continue to use them for every cruise we go on. I don't use them at home because I love my Tide and Downy but they are perfect for handwashing on vacation.

Archived