Beef Wellington

burtie

We had the Beef Wellington on our second formal night on the Star a couple of weeks ago. Usually it is made with the filet and should be fork tender. Ours was more like roast beef, not so good. The lobster was served as another dinner choice. We also ordered one lobster dinner and added them to our Beef Wellingtons.

Is that cheese I see between the pastry and the beef?

It is supposed to be a mushroom glaze/pate. I think a traditional recipe uses liver pate but Princess uses mushrooms.

I do see what you mean in the picture and not sure what that is.

Its DEFINATELY not filet nor a flakey crust like its supposed to me, probably the worst Beef Wellington I've tasted, its a gooey consistensy pastry kind stuff wrapped around some kind of cheap roast beef....ugh....but the lobster looks pretty good!

We have had some excellent Beef Wellington on Princess ships and some not so great. What we had on the Ruby in January was clearly sirloin and was extremely chewy to say the least.

I dont even think the one I tried was sirloin, more like top round....

It is supposed to be a mushroom glaze/pate. I think a traditional recipe uses liver pate but Princess uses mushrooms.

I do see what you mean in the picture and not sure what that is.

I think it's pastry that either wasn't cooked through or absorbed the meat juice and fat.

was the worst entree i have ever had on a princess cruise, they should take it off the menu in my opinion i was appalled as was my spouse, we are both hopitality and my spouse is an ex chef(stess) that said there are different tastes...took me 2 days to get over it, this was in 2006, not dissing altogether it but it is basically a pieice of meat injected with softeners, pre cut to a perfect circle to accomodate the pastry then uncermoniosly wrapped once thawed. I still get the shivers and sweats like yesterday........ personal preference but i would never ever order it again over a club sandwich!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually don't order beef wellington on Princess. I am not a fan of the mushroom sauce.

Though I agree with those who post that if you are going to order beef wellington, prime rib or a beef tenderloin, it is a waste to order these medium or well done. It doesn't do the meat justice. Go with a cheaper version of meat (sirloin, strip) if you are going to cook it more welldone.

Just off the Crown and I can confirm that this was served on a non-formal night. We happened to be eating in te buffet that evening, so the food that was served in the MDR might have been better. However, I was unable to eat the wellington or the lobster claw. The claw was tough and the wellington was simply nasty - the meat itself was passable but the pastry was soggy, the mushrooms unpleasant and there seemed to be cheap sliced ham between the mushrooms and the pastry.

As an aside, I usually eat a lot of fish but I found that the beef was usually far better than any of the fish dishes.

Just off the Crown and I can confirm that this was served on a non-formal night. We happened to be eating in te buffet that evening, so the food that was served in the MDR might have been better. However, I was unable to eat the wellington or the lobster claw. The claw was tough and the wellington was simply nasty - the meat itself was passable but the pastry was soggy, the mushrooms unpleasant and there seemed to be cheap sliced ham between the mushrooms and the pastry.

As an aside, I usually eat a lot of fish but I found that the beef was usually far better than any of the fish dishes.

It depends on the itinerary. I have seen it served on both formal and non-formal nights. Sometimes 7 night Caribbean trips are more predictable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back home from the Golden and I can tell you that the Beef Wellington was the worst I have ever tasted. The meat was OK, but the ham wrap, the pate, and the pastry wrap were all bad!!

Never again on Princess,

PS--this was the ONLY bad dish we had in the seven nights.

Burtie

I have another question about the food on Princess. The Chef's Menu towards the end of the cruise has always been my favorite meal. I love the goats cheese souffle and the rack of lamb. We just were on the Grand a couple of weeks ago and I was really disappointed in the Chefs dinner. There was no rack of lamb. Instead they offered something called a trilogy of something -- I can't rmember what they called it exactly. It consisted of one lamb chop smothered in gravy, some kind of veal that looked like it was part of the intestines, and two chicken kabobs which were just two pieces of chicken with a stick in each. It was mostly inedible. When I first heard you only got one lamb chop I asked for a second and was told I could not have it. (I'm allergic to seafood but I see people getting seconds on lobster all the time, so I don't understand that at all.) However, after seeing what they'd done to the one lamb chop I got, it didn't matter. It was so bad, I no longer wanted another.

I'm just curious if this is the standard new chefs menu on all ships or if it was just something they were doing on the Grand. It was very disappointing to me and maybe that's because I can't eat the lobster, shrimp, etc. so it's my replacement.

Also I agree with others who don't like the beef wellington. I have never understood why that's supposed to be such a treat that it's always on the captain's dinner menu.

It was served on formal night & when someone ordered it, I made sure not to tell it was my only really unliked food on CB of two prior cruises.

The woman ate it, loved it...then we saw her mom the next morning....not her...

Supposedly she was seasick...;0...but it made me wonder.......

Felt so bad for her to be so ill....

She was fine the day we disembarked though...really lovely ladies!

We met so many wonderful ppl....and a few jerks.....(one looking to SUE for every little reason....). He advised a person who was waitig in line for anytime dining to ask for compensation for time spent in line to be seated...

<rolling eyes>

Bernadette

Glad I saw this thread, because my sister loves Beef Wellington. I'll warn her not to order.

But it sounds like Princess is skimping on the cut of meat. It should be tenderloin, which is perfect cooked medium rare-rare.

From reading recipes on Beef Wellington, it's kind of tricky to get the tenderloin cooked properly and not overcooking the pastry. And that's just one at home.

Sorry to hear that Bertie. I had Beef Wellington on the Crown last Thursday and I thought it was fantastic. DH also tried some and thought it was better than the pheasant he had ordered. We both thought it was filet.

Mind you, I had never had it before (either on princess or anywhere else) so I had nothing to compare it to!

Archived