Int'l flight w/domestic connection-when to arrive at airport?

MSMcDuffy

Flying from LAX to LHR with a connection in MSP - how soon ahead should I arrive at LAX?

I'm trying to book shuttle transportation online and when I enter int'l flight they have me at LAX almost 3 hrs before flight and when I enter domestic flight they have me there 1 hr 50 min before flight.

Would the latter be too late to arrive?

Thank you!

The three hour "rule" has always been a suggested guideline, not a mandatory requirement. Planning to be there early is always a good idea in case something goes wrong and will reduce your stress on travel day. But it isn't absolutely necessary... especially now with the secure flight program.

The actual requirements are pretty short. Check with your carrier, but they will probably only require that you be checked in 30 minutes before the flight leaves... and if you want to check a bag, that it be in their hands 60 minutes before your flight leaves.

Personally, planning for 1:50 ahead of time would be outside my comfort zone for LAX. Too many things can go wrong getting to the airport, and there can be a mega line to drop your bag. I'd probably be OK with 2:00, or 2:15. But the ideal really is 3:00.

I fly plenty out of LAX. It can be a zoo with long lines that often make no sense at all. It is better to be safe and be there at the 3 hour time frame than to be stuck in traffic or in a long, slow line and miss your flight.

My most recent departure out of LAX I arrived at 2 hours 45 minutes before my departure for a flight to DFW (domestic flight). It took 51 minutes to do my do-it-yourself check in at the kiost, drop off my checked bag, wait in line for the TSA and then through the TSA to the secure area of the departures.

I then had a long wake to the gate for my flight which was changed and another long walk to get to the newly assigned gate. What had started out looking like more than plenty of time shrank fast.

Thanks everyone!

I know it's better to be safe than sorry but for my other int'l flights that were nonstop from LAX to overseas I would get there so early and just sit around at the gate for a long time and sometimes at the foreign airports for our return we'd get there before the check-in area was even open.

Was thinking perhaps it would be more lenient when the first leg of the flight is domestic.

:)

They'll still have to do the passport check at the desk, etc. since you're flying international. I am guessing from your itinerary that you're flying Delta. When I flew out of LAX in March I got there very early. Delta offered a discounted rate for their lounge access which I purchased so I would have a nice place to wait. I don't know how much of a layover you have in MSP, but the pass is good for 24 hours from purchase, so you could use it at MSP also. I was concerned about traffic delays or problems getting through security. I had no issues, but it was sure nice to be AT the airport with time to kill knowing for sure I would make my flight.

DL's Terminal 5 at LAX can be a zoo at the security screening. I would take the extra time and have some peace of mind.

I've seen the line extend through the entire "bullpen" at the top of the escalator, then down the stairs to the main floor. Nightmare!

DL's Terminal 5 at LAX can be a zoo at the security screening. I would take the extra time and have some peace of mind.

I've seen the line extend through the entire "bullpen" at the top of the escalator, then down the stairs to the main floor. Nightmare!

Especially irritating when there are people who make every effort to cut into the line.

Flying from LAX to LHR with a connection in MSP - how soon ahead should I arrive at LAX?

I'm trying to book shuttle transportation online and when I enter int'l flight they have me at LAX almost 3 hrs before flight and when I enter domestic flight they have me there 1 hr 50 min before flight.

Would the latter be too late to arrive?

Thank you!

You arrive at LAX in time for a DOMESTIC flight, because that is the type of flight you are taking. Your flight from MSP to LHR will be the international flight. There is absolutely no need to arrive at LAX three hours before flight time.

You arrive at LAX in time for a DOMESTIC flight, because that is the type of flight you are taking. Your flight from MSP to LHR will be the international flight. There is absolutely no need to arrive at LAX three hours before flight time.

I beg to differ. A couple of years ago I was flying EWR>MSP>YYW. We arrived at EWR two hours before our flight and were given a total dress down by the ticket agent for not being there three hours in advance for an international flight and were almost denied boarding. We weren't even checking bags.

They consider it an international flight if you're going to finish your travel in another country.

Unless this trip is on two separate airlines with two separate tickets, you will check in at LAX as an INTERNATIONAL passenger. Passport check, long lines, baggage check in, etc. etc. and THEN get through security ALL take extra time. And if you are flying out of TBIT, 3 hours is pushing it right up against flight departure.

If what you are saying is true, you would have to pay LUGGAGE fees for the domestic flight, then CHECK IN separately in MSP. Two separate tickets-yes. Otherwise, NO.

OP-you could be sorely disappointed if you don't arrive in plenty of time. I don't fly Delta but Flyertalker does and if he says T-5 is a zoo and allow PLENTY of time, heed his words.

I wouldn't think of allowing any less than 3 hours arrival at LAX for an international flight. I also have top tier AA status and don't generally have to stand in long lines for check in or for security. But every once in a while, those 3 hours dwindle down so low that I don't even get to go to the Admiral's Club or the new lounges at TBIT.

Unless this trip is on two separate airlines with two separate tickets, you will check in at LAX as an INTERNATIONAL passenger. Passport check, long lines, baggage check in, etc. etc. and THEN get through security ALL take extra time.

Yes, they will be considered an international passenger. But that makes almost no difference in timing. The passport check adds less than a minute. The lines will be exactly the same for everybody on the flight, international or domestic. The baggage check cut-off time will be a bit earlier (probably 60 minutes rather than 45) but that shouldn't come into pay. There is no extra time at security due to being international.

If 2:00 or 2:15 would be enough time for the domestic portion of the flight, 3:00 would be nice, but not necessary if continuing international.

Yes, they will be considered an international passenger. But that makes almost no difference in timing. The passport check adds less than a minute. The lines will be exactly the same for everybody on the flight, international or domestic. The baggage check cut-off time will be a bit earlier (probably 60 minutes rather than 45) but that shouldn't come into pay. There is no extra time at security due to being international.

If 2:00 or 2:15 would be enough time for the domestic portion of the flight, 3:00 would be nice, but not necessary if continuing international.

My response that you are quoting is in response to someone posting that the OP's international flight was NOT an international flight.

You just need to be the person behind the person that is on the no fly list or has a problem with their passport to have a longer than usual time in line. Or to hit the time when the agents change shifts and what was 4 check in agents drops to two. You will WISH you had that extra hour.

There are so many Americans that have never flown internationally. That group ALWAYS take much longer to find their NEW passport, ask all the questions about luggage transfers, etc. etc. Watched it many many times flying out of LAX, particularly out of TBIT.

Why anyone would want to stress when the extra hour gives you a little give in your travel schedule is beyond me, particularly for those going on vacation and calling a car service for pickup??

I beg to differ. A couple of years ago I was flying EWR>MSP>YYW. We arrived at EWR two hours before our flight and were given a total dress down by the ticket agent for not being there three hours in advance for an international flight and were almost denied boarding. We weren't even checking bags.

That's because they have a bad attitude at EWR and have no clue about Customer Service. Well, that and EWR is such a zoo you need 3 hours lead time just to be safe. I am SO glad we don't fly out of there anymore.

We fly out of MCI and almost never get there 3 hours before, no matter where we're going- but that's because MCI is a breeze to get through compared to EWR and LAX even on a bad day. As others have mentioned, there will be some point when a human has to check your passport and that can take time, but usually not much. Arriving 3 hours early allows plenty of safety margin in case you need it, and it also means they can't get technical with the rule book and deny you boarding. How early I arrive for any flight depends on the likely airport check-in conditions as well as the stakes involved in missing the flight. In your case, I'd give it the full 3 hours.

Arriving 3 hours early allows plenty of safety margin in case you need it, and it also means they can't get technical with the rule book and deny you boarding.
Good post, but I want to point out there is no rule book requiring you to be there three hours ahead of time.

You just need to be the person behind the person that is on the no fly list

Add this to list of things that have gotten better. With the Secure Flight Program, such problems have largely gone away. Nobody should be discovering they are incorrectly on the do-not-fly list at the airport.

But to my main point: At LAX, there is no meaningful difference in the time required for a domestic flight, and the time required if that same domestic flight is the first leg of an international ticket. If you read through your list of things that can go wrong, they apply to both sets of passengers equally. Add less than a minute for a passport check. Maybe make it a full extra minute if there person wants to ask if their bags are checked through.

Yes, getting there early is always good. But if somebody is comfortable getting to LAX 2:15 before a domestic flight, that comfort doesn't need to change if the flight is the first leg of an international ticket.

Unless this trip is on two separate airlines with two separate tickets, you will check in at LAX as an INTERNATIONAL passenger. Passport check, long lines, baggage check in, etc. etc. and THEN get through security ALL take extra time. And if you are flying out of TBIT, 3 hours is pushing it right up against flight departure.

You misunderstood my point. The flight from LAX to MSP is indeed a domestic flight, and this is what he/she should base his/her arrival time on. The fact that he/she will then board a plane at MSP for an international destination is irrelevant to her arrival time at LAX. The OP will not have to show a passport at LAX, although is of course free to use this as a photo id. This takes security no longer than looking at any other form of photo id. The lines for baggage, check-in, and security will be no different for her at LAX than any other passenger. He/she does not have to be at LAX in the time period indicated for an international flight.

I fly internationally quite frequently and know the routine.

The OP will not have to show a passport at LAX, although is of course free to use this as a photo id.

Are you sure? You may be right if it's an airline that lets you check in on-line for international flights and asks you to supply passport info. We typically fly AA out of MCI and before AA started allowing OLCI for international flights, we always ended up having to have a human look at our passports before we could get a Boarding Pass- even if we used the kiosk in the ticketing area. (It would send some sort of alert to the agents and one would come over, check our passports, and punch in some codes to get the BP.) If we checked bags, the gate agent would ask for our passports and scan them. Even now with OLCI if we check bags they'll do the same thing.

If an airline lets you onto a plane with a foreign destination and you don't have the right documents, they can be fined and will be required to get you back home at their expense. Yes, they probably will check your passport again at the actual origin of your international flight, but if they check it at your home airport it's much easier for them to refuse boarding.

I do agree with the observations made earlier that you don't need to allow extra time for this at your home airport. It's very quick.

You misunderstood my point. The flight from LAX to MSP is indeed a domestic flight, and this is what he/she should base his/her arrival time on. The fact that he/she will then board a plane at MSP for an international destination is irrelevant to her arrival time at LAX. The OP will not have to show a passport at LAX, although is of course free to use this as a photo id. This takes security no longer than looking at any other form of photo id. The lines for baggage, check-in, and security will be no different for her at LAX than any other passenger. He/she does not have to be at LAX in the time period indicated for an international flight.

I fly internationally quite frequently and know the routine.

I am so glad to know this. Will make sure when I board AA flight 30 Friday night from LAX to JFK, continuing on to AA 6005 to Abu Dhabi that I am ONLY going on a DOMESTIC flight. AA will be happy to hear that I am saving them money by not having to go through any extra steps because I am only on a DOMESTIC flight.

Here is my experience with this yesterday, flying SEA-Domestic-international on CO. I was unable to check in online; the airline would not allow it.

We arrived at the airport two hours in advance. We had to scan our passports to check in. At our domestic connection, we had an overnight until our international flight, and our bags were checked through to our final destination. When we checked in at SEA, we received boarding passes for all three flights.

I have never been able to check in online with any airline if my flight had an international leg. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to report back...

I arrived at LAX 3 hrs early and sat around for quite a while but didn't mind. I did have to scan my passport at the check-in kiosque and show it to the agent at the luggage drop. I did not receive the "check-in" email from Delta for the departure to LHR, but I did receive one for the return to LAX??.

I tried to check in online from home the night before my departure to LHR but I don't remember the outcome (it was late and I was a little delirious). However, I do remember having to check in again at LAX and remember thinking...didn't I already check in last night?? I never print my boarding pass until I get to the airport 'cause my printer is dysfunctional so I knew I'd have to do that anyway so I was surprised when I had to do the entire check-in process all over again.

For the return we arrived at LHR 3 hrs & 45 min early and almost needed that much time! It took us about 2 hrs to get checked in (the line was really, really slow). Security was quick, the walk to our gate was kind of long. Had we arrived less than 3 hrs, we could have possibly not made it. I suppose the same thing could happen at LAX.

For the return we arrived at LHR 3 hrs & 45 min early and almost needed that much time! It took us about 2 hrs to get checked in (the line was really, really slow). Security was quick, the walk to our gate was kind of long. Had we arrived less than 3 hrs, we could have possibly not made it. I suppose the same thing could happen at LAX.

Thanks for the update! I'm the Control Freak in our travels and sometimes I feel bad dragging DH to some of the crazier airports (and LHR and ORD are at the top of the list) hours ahead of time but frequently we've needed it. Good to warn everyone else, though.

Archived