Conch Fritter vs. Clam Fritters?

pampaul

I have to say that I do love clam fritters. And I have seen conch fritters on shows featured on the Food Network and Travel Channel.

Are they similar in taste/texture? My DH will eat clam fritters if there isn't too many clams in them :confused: and if there are, then he will pick them out.

Just wondering if I get the chance to have conch fritters while on our cruise, if I'll like it.

Please give me your impression of them. Thanks!!!

Conch fritters are really, really delicious if you get them from someone that knows how to make them. If you get them from a restaurant where the locals eat, you won't be disappointed. If you get them from a chain like Margaritaville etc., they are more like hush puppies and really doughy. The first time we tried them we were in Nassau and our guide took us to a place where there were a bunch of fishing shacks where the locals hang out and bought us an order - HEAVEN! Cocunuts bar in St. Thomas is another place that has amazing, melt-in-your-mouth conch fritters as well.:)

Similar, but not the same. I also love clam fritters, fried clams and clam chowder, but conch, and I have only had conch fritters tastes different to me. Hard to explain the difference, so I would say try it once and decide if it is for you. If anything I can say, is that the conch fritters I have had, have come in various levels of spiciness. Even the most mild, have had a touch of spice in them. Yes try it at least once.:) And the best I have ever had were in the Cayman Islands and in the Bahamas. ( that is conch fritters ) As for clam fritters or fried clams, best I have ever had was in Nova Scotia, ( Ive not been to Maine yet elcuchio! )

Tasting the conch is on my to do list this trip. I was told I could try some on GT somewhere in the cruise center (not Margarittaville, but somewhere else ??? anyone know?). I love shell fish, clams, oysters and escargot, so I think I may like the conch.

I love conch and in fritters too. Had fresh conch salad on the beach, etc.

I find it sweeter than clam. But as noted above, you gotta get a well made fritter!

I had some excellent, yet spicy :), conch fritters at the Bohio Dive Resort in Grand Turk. The ones at Margaritaville had very little conch.

When I stop in Nassau in Sept, I plan to hit Arawak Cay for some conch.

Paradise Bar and Grill in Grand Cayman. Great Conch. Just a short walk from the pier. Sit with a perfect view of the ship

Is that the place to the right when you get off the tenders near the dive shop. Place on the water with a little deck

If it is I second that

There is a little bar right on the dock when you get off the tenders in Roatan that makes fantastic Conch fritters , and they have a dipping sauce very similar to the one we use for those bloomin onions here that is out of this world . We ate them like they were going out of style last time we were there .

Clam fritters are also very good , different than the Conch but still very tasty.

And as far as fried clams go if they don't have the bellies , I don't want to know them. *LOL*. There is a place here in Connecticut that serves them with a tartar sauce made with Emerald relish MMMMMMMMMMMM :)

My Mom got this from this random ..conch fritter.. u-haul truck in Nassau (pretty much right by the straw market and Senior Frogs) and said that they were the best ever!

Sounds like my kinda place! ;) I'll have to look out for it.

Tasting the conch is on my to do list this trip. I was told I could try some on GT somewhere in the cruise center (not Margarittaville, but somewhere else ??? anyone know?). I love shell fish, clams, oysters and escargot, so I think I may like the conch.

That would be Jack's shack be sure to go to his site and register for a free shot of island rum

http://www.jacksshack.tc/Home.php

If you stop in Freeport, take a cab to the Our Lucaya Marketplace and visit "Zorbas" restaurant for amazing conch fritters, conch chowder, and stewed conch (in the morning, they open at 7 a.m.).

We have been eating conch fritters for years during our Caribbean vacations and I can honestly say that Zorbas has great conch, no matter how you order it. They also have "cracked conch" which is basically fried conch (think, fish sticks, but made with conch). All of the cab drivers eat there as well as the locals which is always a good sign.

We NEVER leave Freeport without eating there once or twice on a given day!

if someone made them..gimme anything w/ it in it!.. I have cooked it for myself..yummo!..we found a small restaurant in GC..Copper Kettle Tea Room..or sim name.. 4 nice ones for $4.. I had 2 plates, with a beer! it is on the main drag on the land side..A huge sign on side of bldg..w/ a copper tea kettle, small w maybe a tables..cooked right in the main room. the locals all go there...the were out of the conch burger makins.. booo

Similar, but not the same. I also love clam fritters, fried clams and clam chowder, but conch, and I have only had conch fritters tastes different to me. Hard to explain the difference, so I would say try it once and decide if it is for you. If anything I can say, is that the conch fritters I have had, have come in various levels of spiciness. Even the most mild, have had a touch of spice in them. Yes try it at least once.:) And the best I have ever had were in the Cayman Islands and in the Bahamas. ( that is conch fritters ) As for clam fritters or fried clams, best I have ever had was in Nova Scotia, ( Ive not been to Maine yet elcuchio! )

I think ours and Scotian are just about the same, making me think of lunch, maybe a trip to the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport is in order today!

Archived