Eastern or Western for first Caribbean cruise

Jaylie

We want to try a cruise to the Caribbean and wonder which would be the better route to go with first. Also, this will be our first time on a Princess cruise. We've done Disney once to the Bahamas, but have heard good things about Princess. We thought we'd try an ocean view stateroom instead of a balcony....hope that's not a mistake!

We want to try a cruise to the Caribbean and wonder which would be the better route to go with first. Also, this will be our first time on a Princess cruise. We've done Disney once to the Bahamas, but have heard good things about Princess. We thought we'd try an ocean view stateroom instead of a balcony....hope that's not a mistake!

I prefer Eastern as St.Thomas and St.Martin are nicer than Grand Cayman and Mexico.

What time of year are you going?

The main concern I would have is the behavior of the Atlantic Ocean in relation to the Eastern itinerary. I would favor the Western itinerary in the winter to avoid high winds and rough waters. The weather is beautiful in the islands, but the travel between can be unpleasant.

I have done 2 Western Caribbean cruises, one in mid-December and one in mid-January. The December cruise had a windy, rainy, rocking first sea day and the January one was just a little breezy with plenty of sun. By the time we were south of Cuba, both cruises were 'smooth sailing'.

What types of things do you like to do?

We took a family cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize. We are an active group who snorkeled every day on that itinerary. The younger members of the family went ziplining in Roatan and said it was their favorite activity. We are also big fans of Chankanaab Park in Cozumel. Then there are the ruins to explore if that's your thing.

Eastern ports are a favorite because they usually included private islands. You have to be careful about the times in port. You may not be happy with being in San Juan from 4 PM - 10 PM. St Maarten is always fun. St Thomas is beautiful and has good shopping. I think the Princess Cays, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and St. Maarten itinerary looks pretty good.

Time of year? Our favorite time is in the fall. We've gone Jan, Feb, March & April and found the water a little cool for our tastes in both Eastern & Western Caribbean.

We get the cabin with the best price for us. Sometimes it's an inside, sometimes it OV, or a balcony. We've had terrific vacations in all types of cabins. Don't worry about having an OV. You'll have a great time.

Probably the eastern Caribbean, but if your a non smoker why not wait till after Jan 15 when they'll stop smoking in the rooms & on balconies. We always cruise from Oct to May & never had any problems with winds but an occasional shower is always possible.

+We have done both the Eastern and Western route (and the Southern route as well). We prefer the Eastern and have not encountered rough seas in the winter - although it does happen! As to stateroom preferences, we always book outside view and book early enough that we can chose a room with a good unobstructed view. We are not in our rooms very much and love being 'out and about'. Good luck.

Been on both Eastern (2) & Western (2)

Roughest weather was a Western in early March. Had to cancel a couple ports.

Most fun we've had was on the Eastern cruises with visits to St. Thomas & St. Maarten.

Cruised in November, Jan, Feb & March.

Next one coming up in late October to Southern Caribbean. Hope no late season tropical activity.

Definitely prefer Eastern so far !

Have fun with either - (how can you avoid enjoying ???????)

Since you've been to the Bahamas you've at least sampled the Eastern, so why not visit the Western? It's far superior for water sports, ie, diving/snorkeling. If you're not an experienced snorkeler or diver, Western is a great place to begin. Roatan, Cozumel and Belize are world class.

I prefer Eastern as St.Thomas and St.Martin are nicer than Grand Cayman and Mexico.

This guy nailed it. I haven't cruised as much as a lot of these folks, but I've done them both and I definitely prefer Eastern if given a choice.

I like them both. St. Thomas is really beautiful and there is good snorkeling there. St. Maarten is pretty. I love Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan, too. There is so much to do at all these ports. Just book a B2B and do both!

As you can see its a matter of opinion. If you think you would enjoy seeing Mayan ruins, then book the Western with a stop in Belize. Costa Maya also has Mayan ruins available at a short distance. In Cozumel, the major ruins to see are on the mainland, and I think make for too much traveling.

If you like water sports such as snorkeling or scuba, both Roatan and Belize have great snorkeling. If you prefer shopping, then head to St. Thomas or St. Marten.

We've done both the Western and Eastern and had a great time on both. I prefer the Western over the Eastern, but like both. You should have a great time either way. Do one itinery this year, and the other itinery next year.

We usually get an inside room or outside view. Last cruise in the Caribbean we got a balcony. For us it was not worth the money. We hardly used it. A window is nice to have but I won't spend a lot extra for it. Many people love having a balcony. This time go with what feels comfortable with the budget.

I've only taken 1 Western cruise, but it was my least favorite. Southern route is actually my favorite, but Eastern is a close second. I'm more of a snorkel/beach person and the islands visited on Eastern route work well for me. Also check and see if you get more islands on one versus the other.

Once I had a balcony, I didn't want to go back. I realize you aren't in the cabin a lot, but to start off the day and end the day, it's nice to go out there.

As you can see from my signature, we have done western, eastern and southern cruises. All of them were fantastic. There are interesting sights to see, history, art, music, and beaches on all of the itineraries. Only you can decide what is important for you to see. (You may want to take a look at the shore excursion threads to get an idea of things you can do at different ports)

The only really bad seas we have had on any of the Caribbean cruises was when going from Mexico across the Gulf of Mexico, back toward the U.S. Evidently the ships cross over waters that are moving in different directions causing a turbulent ride. The movement lasted about 36 hours. I don't know if this is the case only in the summer, which is when all our cruises were, or if this is a year round issue.

Just be sure to take Bonine or Dramamine with you, take it daily, and you'll be fine.

Have a great cruise, wherever you decide to go!

Archived