GOOD? news for smokers

AZNative2000

While I am a non-smoker, I thought the contents of the HAL email I received today would be of interest to those who are. It appears that YOU STILL CAN SMOKE IN YOUR ROOM ... according to the letter, it will just cost you an extra $250.00 PER CABIN... and NOT $250.00 per cigarette as has been posted in other threads.

I got the email because I am booked on a cruise(s) after the January 15, 2012 date.

Here is HAL's email:

Dear Holland America Line Guest,

Thank you for choosing to sail with Holland America Line. We're honored to have you join us on your upcoming cruise vacation.

In keeping with the majority of guest preferences, we are changing our smoking policy as of January 15, 2012. For cruises starting on or after this date, all stateroom interiors will be non-smoking. Your voyage is now covered under this new policy.

Guests who smoke in their staterooms once this change has taken place will be charged a $250.00 cleaning fee.

Our policies on smoking in public areas are not changing. Consequently, while most public areas are non-smoking, there are areas within each ship in which smoking is still permitted. In addition, smoking is permitted on most outside decks and on stateroom verandahs.

Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outside decks.

Please plan to inform all guests traveling with you of these changes. For more information, please visit us at http://www.hollandamerica.com.

We are eager to welcome you on board, and look forward to making your voyage an unforgettable cruise experience.

Best regards,

Mark Kammerer

Senior Vice President, Marketing & North America Sales

Holland America Line

All this amounts to is that smokers will be paying a surcharge to smoke. If I were a smoker, I certainly would pay it!!

They clean the rooms that people have smoked in anyway. Why the big hullabaloo about changing their policy??? Nothing has changed, except the smokers are paying more. Makes no sense to me!!

I haven't received this email or message, but interesting.

If smoking is forbidden in the cabin, then I simply wouldn't do it.

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of rules and we like to follow them.

Yes, I am a casual smoker but in no way would I break a rule or smoke where it was not allowed. It's not a matter of the money. It's a matter of what it does to others. Hal has made their decisions and i will gladly abide by them.:)

If smoking is forbidden in the cabin, then I simply wouldn't do it.

It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of rules and we like to follow them......

The rule no longer is that smoking is forbidden in the staterooms. There will simply be a charge if you wish to smoke there. You will pay to have your room sanitized by the stewards. "Forbidden" would mean under no circumstances could you smoke, IMO.

The rule no longer is that smoking is forbidden in the staterooms. There will simply be a charge if you wish to smoke there. You will pay to have your room sanitized by the stewards. "Forbidden" would mean under no circumstances could you smoke, IMO.

It was my understanding that the new smoking rules on HAL forbad smoking in the staterooms which are the 'rules' I would follow.:confused:

It was my understanding that the new smoking rules on HAL forbad smoking in the staterooms which are the 'rules' I would follow.:confused:

It is interesting isn't it. First the note says that the cabins are non-smoking. Then it says not to worry because in fact the stateroom is OK to smoke in - for a charge.

Confused - you will be after this espisode of - SMOKE!

Thanks Leigh!! Just checked my email and there it was, same email you received:)

To ensure delivery,

add holland@e.hollandamerica.com to your address book.

Holland America Line

Dear Holland America Line Guest,

Thank you for choosing to sail with Holland America Line. We're honored to have you join us on your upcoming cruise vacation.

In keeping with the majority of guest preferences, we are changing our smoking policy as of January 15, 2012. For cruises starting on or after this date, all stateroom interiors will be non-smoking. Your voyage is now covered under this new policy. Guests who smoke in their staterooms once this change has taken place will be charged a $250.00 cleaning fee.

Our policies on smoking in public areas are not changing. Consequently, while most public areas are non-smoking, there are areas within each ship in which smoking is still permitted. In addition, smoking is permitted on most outside decks and on stateroom verandahs.

Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outside decks.

Please plan to inform all guests traveling with you of these changes. For more information, please visit us at http://www.hollandamerica.com.

We are eager to welcome you on board, and look forward to making your voyage an unforgettable cruise experience.

Best regards,

Mark Kammerer

Senior Vice President, Marketing & North America Sales

Holland America Line

© 2001 – 2011 Holland America Line Inc., 300 Elliott Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119 http://www.hollandamerica.com

Good to know that I will have an option if it is pouring rain on the verandah in March:)

Joanie

It appears to me that HAL must have received a lot of negative feedback from smokers about the announced smoking change to have come out so quickly with this amended statement. The point of the email seems to be to assure smokers how many places there are where they can smoke, still including some inside public areas, most decks outside, their verandahs, and even their cabins for a fee.

I'm not seeing any change to the new rule. The email simply states that a cleaning charge will be made. That $250 is also part of Princess's new rule. I don't see anything in the email that says how often the cleaning charge may be made nor do I see anything that says that is the limit of cabin smoking penalties. The mailing does say "all stateroom interiors will be non-smoking". It also says indirectly that cigars and pipes won't be permitted on verandas.

It appears to me that HAL must have received a lot of negative feedback from smokers about the announced smoking change to have come out so quickly with this amended statement.
I don't see any amendment, either.

The rule is perfectly clearly stated: no smoking in the cabins.

The email also tells you one of the things that will happen if you do break the rule: you will be charged money.

But the email doesn't make explicit one of the other provisions of the T&C, which is that in extremis you can be thrown off the ship. (Although probably only when it's in port.) I think that one of the other lines that announced their changed policies on the same day as HAL was a bit less coy about this bit.

Perhaps someone should ask Hal if this is a fee for smoking or a fine for smoking.

Will it be a per cruise fine ...or a per infraction fine ..three infractions you're off...hmmm or merely a per cruise fee for the privilege of smoking in your cabin.

This is going to come down to how it is inforced. If everyone gets a bill who smokes in the cabin and this is the only consequence then it is a simple extra charge for smoking, if you are caught. If it is enforced. What cabin steward is going to tell on the customers they want to tip them?

This will not make folks looking for a smoke free living environment happy if more folks are okay with a cleaning fee. That would also mean the only change is, you could be charged for smoking in your room.

The letter does not sound like there is a commitment to keeping the rooms smoke free. It sounds voluntary.

So I think I will have to wait and see if this is seriously enforced or not, before I bank on a smoke free cabin environment.

It is interesting isn't it. First the note says that the cabins are non-smoking. Then it says not to worry because in fact the stateroom is OK to smoke in - for a charge.

Isn't that pretty much the way for hotel rooms too? No-smoking but if found that you did they will levy a cleaning fee.

This is going to come down to how it is inforced. If everyone gets a bill who smokes in the cabin and this is the only consequence then it is a simple extra charge for smoking, if you are caught. If it is enforced. What cabin steward is going to tell on the customers they want to tip them?

And if the next cabin occupants complain of smoke smells in their cabin, how will the steward explain that?

If the policy is not enforced, they will smile to the complainer, shrug their shoulders and you will get chocolate covered strawberries.

If they are trying to preserve an environment of non smoking a manager or security will handle the issue.

I watched a dining room manager handle this on another line and the issue was handled. The folks in the cabin didn't think anyone could smell the smoke. This was in the AQ section and I suspect more than one person complained. The senior cabin steward, sorry I don't know the title, pointed out the room and the manager knocked on the door.

Time will tell if HAL is serious about enforcement or will try to walk the line to please most people. I suspect we really don't know until the reviews come in after January 15th.

Does anyone really believe that HAL is going to throw anyone off the ship at the next port if they smoke in their cabin? And who's to say smoke didn't drift in the room from the verandah where smoking is allowed anyway. They are going to discuss the cleaning fee with them, charge them, and that will be it. Hotels don't throw smokers out in the street; they charge a cleaning fee. HAL is not going to strand anyone in a foreign port.

Never once in all the statements put out by HAL regarding this change did I read anything about being removed from the ship if you smoked in your room. :eek: I would be shocked if HAL took this stand as it appears by the current email that HAL will allow smoking in your cabin if you pay a cleaning surcharge.

I know that there are many non-smokers on this board that would like to see ALL smokers keelhauled by HAL :p, but I really believe it unlikely.......:rolleyes: :D

I care less about keelhauling and more about knowing how the policy will be enforced. ;)

I agree Sher, it does seem like a cleaning fee charge rather than a commitment to non smoking cabins. At least they no longer pretend the deep cleaning is enough for commited non smokers who regularly stay in non smoking rooms. OR so many people need the deep cleaning they want revenue for it.

Never once in all the statements put out by HAL regarding this change did I read anything about being removed from the ship if you smoked in your room. :eek: I would be shocked if HAL took this stand as it appears by the current email that HAL will allow smoking in your cabin if you pay a cleaning surcharge.

I know that there are many non-smokers on this board that would like to see ALL smokers keelhauled by HAL :p, but I really believe it unlikely.......:rolleyes: :D

All cruise lines have a Guest Conduct Policy. Violations of set shipboard rules allows the cruise lines to debark a guest who, at their determination, have violated the rules with ample or repeat warnings. The new smoking policy states simply that smoking is NOT ALLOWED in the stateroom. The penalty for violating this rule is a cleaning fee of $250, and this is not just a one-time fee but per incident. If a guest violates the rules to the extent the cruise line feels that they 'just don't get it' the cruise line has the right under the Guest Conduct Policy to remove them from the ship.

Your assessment of the NEW rules, that the staterooms are NO SMOKING but you can smoke if you are willing to pay the fee, is INCORRECT.

READ the first line in Holland-America's smoking policy. It is not open for interpretation:

For all cruises departing on or after January 15, 2012

All staterooms will be non-smoking areas, in addition to the other areas that were already defined as non-smoking. Smoking will continue to be permitted outside on stateroom verandahs. There are designated areas available for smoking both inside the ships and on outside decks as detailed above.

Archived