Roatan added to my cruise! Tell me about it

williamson_ja

Roatan was one of the world's best kept secrets. It is considered the third best dive/snorkel locale in the world. The island has also been "discovered" by lots of European money....Some spectacular homes have been and are being built.

Anywhere on the West End is great for beach/snorkel/diving. The are 56 different and unique dive locales around the island.

Note, the town is still pretty depressed, the government of Honduras takes, and does not give back much to the locals. But the improvement has been tremendous over the past few years.

Our favorite spot is on the West End...A very small bar/grill/beach called Foster's (they also have a motel complex). It is limited in numbers, it is family friendly and it is located 50 yards away from A Bite On The Beach..where they serve the coldest beer you will ever taste in combination with 17 different ways to prepare Lobster...It is a lunch to remember!

You can also buy, very, very reasonably, a snorkeling excursion that will take you out to the reefs for some spectacular snorkeling.

Just FYI. The Pelicar Reef stretches from Cozumel all the way down, past Belize and past Roatan.

Check out Victor Bodden tours--great company. Just got back 2 weeks ago. If you want to see pictures, check out my review: Our Amazing DREAM Cruise: a photo & trivia review! Roatan is beautiful!

When we had Roatan as a stop I have to say it was the one I was least looking forward to, I had read several threads where people were staying on the ship for various reasons. I am so glad we got off the ship! We booked a driver through Victor Bodden (has a website) and the driver took us for the whole day, we did sightseeing and ended our day at West Bay where the driver set us up with snorkeling equipment and watched our belongings when we snorkeled. We had a great day!

Its my favorite port. Its so absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of Hawaii and living with the locals, lots of green mountains and views. The water is known as one of the best scuba diving areas in the world.

You should google Victor Bodden and have one of us guys give you the island tour. Pick some remote spots. We went to see the stupid Ignuanna Farm twice, because I love going back there on more off roads.

For $5 pp, you can see the monkeys and other animals at Victors house. You can feed them and you get in the cage with them. Two jumped on my sister at one time when she held up her cookie, and it kind of scared her, but I thought it was the best.

When I first starting going, the ignuanna were all wild at the ignuanna farm, where you donate $10 and once $15, to their upkeep and saving them. So, now they got one that isnt the same kind you can pet there. I was sorry to see the change, but Im sure people want to see a ignuanna up close if they go to a ignuanna farm, so now you can. It has changed over the years, nicer, but I loved the roatan how it was when I first went too.

Picture255.jpg

You just have to get out and see West End and the gorgeous beaches and drive thru west end itself. We were not allowed to park last time, but they just let us drive thru. It was spring break in Honduras, who knew? It was packed, but it was fun to get out and see the island.

He showed us everything, even where the electricity is produced. He took us around all day for about $30 pp. We tipped well, but it was worth seeing. You pay separately if you ask to be taken to something like the zipline etc...the $30 is just their fee for taking you around.

Twice I had just grabbed a taxi spur of the moment who took us around and we had fun with that too. .. just not out as long as with Victor's guy.

I loved where the ships used to port where they had all sort of cheap fun stuff to buy.

I wasnt thrilled with Mahogany Bay with its high priced items and it felt very contrived to me.. I love the native Roatan, not Mahogany Beach. Things used to be so cheap to buy there. We had Victors guy stop at a regular grocery store and I loaded up with their local coffee too which is very good.

They will take you wherever you want to go, ziplining? beach? you just tell them.

I, also, recommend Victor Bodden's drivers! We've gone with them twice. I wouldn't hesitate going again. Our driver both times was Anthony. You can design your own day. We toured the island, then ended our perfect day with lunch and snorkeling at Half Moon Bay.

If you just stay at Mahogany Bay, you'll be at a complex that Carnival built. It reminds me of Disney World. The real Roatan is on the other side of the hill.

OP - you going 12-3-11 or 12-1-12? Just want to point out your countdown clock has 12-1-11 which isn't a valid sailing date.

I booked the Liberty last November for 1-28-12, when her itinerary was Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. I spent months researching those 3 ports and was most excited for Jamaica. So I booked it. Then in December it was changed to Cozumel, Belize and Grand Cayman. So I researched heavily what to do in Belize for the next few months and actually got excited for it (regardless of what some say). Then in early June it dropped a sea day and added Roatan. I initially got excited about adding Roatan - but I am a sea day type of person too. So Roatan may be the port that we just get off for a couple to touch land and get back on the ship to enjoy our sea day less crowded.

Bottom line - who knows - they might just change the itinerary again. But I will have at that point researched all of the Western ports, so no matter where we go - I will be happy.

Was on my iPhone earlier when I read your post. Now on the computer, I can share some pics with you:

West Bay Beach

5876231475_022f4b57d0.jpg

5876782302_b0613e7bb6.jpg

5867689780_ba03ca715d.jpg

The view (thanks to our Victor Bodden guide):

5864140573_c4bdbaf9a9.jpg

Mahogany Bay:

5887864358_a170917f6d.jpg

5868975107_c3d1fee0b0.jpg

Have a great cruise!

Don't know what you are into - snorkling, sightseeing etc. But my wife and I spent a wonderful day there....we rented a cabana from Carnival. For $200 we had our own small, air conditioned hut with a porch with two lounge chairs. We also had exclusive access to a hammock and two other lounges right at the waters edge. They provided two flloats. the beach was restricted to only the cabana renters so it was much much less crowded than the restof thebeach. And - the best -- our own private waiter who brought us food and drinks. It was the most relaxing day of our cruise. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

OP - you going 12-3-11 or 12-1-12? Just want to point out your countdown clock has 12-1-11 which isn't a valid sailing date.

We're sailing 12/3/2011. I've tried to change my signature dates a couple of times and it keeps showing up as 12/1/11 for some reason. I'm surprised that more people haven't commented on it. lol. One of these days, I'll figure out how to put the right dates in. Maybe I'm not saving it correctly. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the helpful tips on Roatan! I'm going to talk to my hubby when he gets home from work about doing Victor Bodden's tour. We have 7 people all together so hopefully he can give us a good deal. :D

I think he was $30 pp for 2 people and $25 for 3 or more. and Iv heard he had to go up $5 a person. Really thats not that much when you consider they are driving you for 5 hours and gas has gone up there too, probably worse than here.

I tipped $20 and I thought he was so worth it. He really took us the entire day.

I think he was $30 pp for 2 people and $25 for 3 or more. and Iv heard he had to go up $5 a person. Really thats not that much when you consider they are driving you for 5 hours and gas has gone up there too, probably worse than here.

I tipped $20 and I thought he was so worth it. He really took us the entire day.

Our guide had to buy gas while we were with him. It was over $6 U.S. per gallon. I think he only bought 1 gallon.

I agree -- Roatan is the best kept secret, although the word is getting out. Its my new favorite port. My Triumph cruise last September had to skip it due to storms, I was bummed out to say the least. Hopefully my Legend cruise this year makes it there. By all means, get out of the cruise port area (Mahogany Bay) and explore the West End. The scenery on the drive there is stunning.

We cruised and dove the island last month and it continues to be one of our favorite ports. Our 18yo son actually is thinking about getting his Dive Master and working there and our 21yo is interested in some land and introducing sustainable farming and permiculture to the area.

If things work out, my DW and I will be able to retire and visit our boys there in our "golden" years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking of booking a tour with them - the private one which will be 100.00 for the 4 of us.... But it says you tell the driver where to do and what you want to see. what if we don't know? We want to see the island and then either do the monkeys or the iguana too...What would you request if this is what you want to do?

Thinking of booking a tour with them - the private one which will be 100.00 for the 4 of us.... But it says you tell the driver where to do and what you want to see. what if we don't know? We want to see the island and then either do the monkeys or the iguana too...What would you request if this is what you want to do?

We weren't sure what we wanted to do either so the driver drove all over the island. He stopped at all the pretty views for pictures. Then we went to the monkeys. I was nervous to do this, but it was the best part of the cruise! I had so much fun!!! Then we went to the beach. It was the best day ever and I truly hope to go back on a land vacation.

We paid $25 per person with Victor Bodden to be driven around the island.

Definitely zip line!! It was our first time zip lining on our cruise and it was phenomenal!! There is one that ends up on the beach and that's definitely the one to do!!

Buy your souvenirs AWAY from Mahogany Bay - you will find the same items for 1/2 the price.

Mahogany Bay is a small beach but it is nice to kick back with a "beverage" and enjoy the beach and your ship right in front of you.

We loved Roatan and would go back in a heartbeat!

That was exactly what happened to us. We didn't know and she wasn't the most personable driver we have ever had so we wound up going up and down the same road two or three times before we gave up and went back to Mahogany Bay.

Some people we were with zip lined on the West end and said it was phenomenal. We went to Pirates of the Caribbean and the people there were great and the views amazing but wished we had done the other since it ended up on the beach.

We did manage to buy some nice souvenirs in the hilly area for a lot less than they were selling the same thing at the port shops (beautiful wooden vase and matching bowl).

Don't waste any time on the Cameo Factory - major disappointment.

Archived