Anchorage day trip by car

Overpacker

We'll be in Anchorage on August 12 on a cruise and would like to know if anyone has any advice on the Spirit Houses, Matunuska Glacier, The Reindeer Farm and the Independence Mine. We're driving to Martin Buser's Happy Trails Iditarod Kennels and want to make the best use of our time.

Thanks for your help.:)

I'm not sure what you're looking for...are you asking which ones you should try to fit in, or are you looking to visit all of them in one day (which is too much, in my opinion).

Are you looking to be active, or see scenery? Do you have a specific time at Martin's kennel? I don't know if you know that tours are at 10 or 2.

http://www.buserdog.com/tours.php

I'm happy to give what help I can, but LOL, I'm too lazy to write a whole bunch and find out I'm not answering your question!

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/indmine.htm

Agree with mytime53, this would certainly be too much for a one day stay.

Sounds like you’ve made the decision to go to Martin’s place in Big Lake. It does get good reviews. You can exclude Matanuska Glacier then which would be my priority. If the main reason to go to Mat Glacier is just to view it then skip it, there will be others on your trip. If glacier trekking is what you seek, it will be your very best opportunity to experience it in Alaska. It’s about 2 hours north of Anchorage and you are on the glacier in 15 minutes from the parking lot. There are three guiding services; Nova, Mica and a new one, Matanuska Glacier Adventures. We were there last month and will go again on our way to McCarthy/Kennicott next month.

I'm not sure what you're looking for...are you asking which ones you should try to fit in, or are you looking to visit all of them in one day (which is too much, in my opinion).

Are you looking to be active, or see scenery? Do you have a specific time at Martin's kennel? I don't know if you know that tours are at 10 or 2.

http://www.buserdog.com/tours.php

I'm happy to give what help I can, but LOL, I'm too lazy to write a whole bunch and find out I'm not answering your question!

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/indmine.htm

Thanks for your response. No, we're not trying to fit in everything in one day. They were just options we came up with from other boards. We have a tour scheduled for 2 pm at Martin's kennel. We're picking up a rental car at 9 am in Anchorage and then heading on out. There will be 3 adults and our granddaughter who is 11. We just want to make the best use of our time and see something that everyone would find interesting. We don't want too active of activities but something that is scenic and indigenous to Alaska. Something that we wouldn't see in San Diego.

Thanks again,

Allida :)

..... Matanuska Glacier then which would be my priority. If the main reason to go to Mat Glacier is just to view it then skip it, there will be others on your trip. If glacier trekking is what you seek, it will be your very best opportunity to experience it in Alaska.
Chilkoot, we're considering a 3-hr glacier trek on the Juneau Icefield with NorthStar. It's via helicopter, but that's less of a novelty for us than actually hiking on the glacier (and adds considerably to the cost). Your description makes me wonder about trekking on Matanuska instead. How does it compare with the Juneau Icefield? Is either obviously preferred? If we did Matanuska, we'd have to give up a planned day trip/cruise to PWS. Comments? Thanks!

Thanks for your response. No, we're not trying to fit in everything in one day. They were just options we came up with from other boards. We have a tour scheduled for 2 pm at Martin's kennel. We're picking up a rental car at 9 am in Anchorage and then heading on out. There will be 3 adults and our granddaughter who is 11. We just want to make the best use of our time and see something that everyone would find interesting. We don't want too active of activities but something that is scenic and indigenous to Alaska. Something that we wouldn't see in San Diego.

Thanks again,

Allida :)

What time do you need to return the car?

The first 3 options could be done in 30-60 minutes, depending on your interest level.

Eklutna is less than 5 minutes off the hwy. It costs $5 pp to wander thru the grounds and visit the church.

http://www.eklutnahistoricalpark.org/

The Reindeer Farm and Musk Ox Farm which are both in Palmer as is Martin Buser's kennel.

http://www.muskoxfarm.org/

http://www.reindeerfarm.com/

Independence Mine is 3/4 hr from Palmer. It would be enjoyable for the scenery and history, particularly gold mining.( Not so great if it's cold, raining and windy)

Matanuska Glacier is great for climbing or hiking, but if your cruise takes you by Glacier Bay or Hubbard, or you plan on visiting Mendenhall, i'd give it a miss if you only plan on a drive-by.

Chilkoot, we're considering a 3-hr glacier trek on the Juneau Icefield with NorthStar. It's via helicopter, but that's less of a novelty for us than actually hiking on the glacier (and adds considerably to the cost). Your description makes me wonder about trekking on Matanuska instead. How does it compare with the Juneau Icefield? Is either obviously preferred? If we did Matanuska, we'd have to give up a planned day trip/cruise to PWS. Comments? Thanks!

I’ve not been on Mendenhall but from photos the experience would be similar. I’ve heard the helicopter portion is spectacular at times. A three hour trek on Mendenhall and a PWS cruise would be my suggestion. You’ve probably insured this is actually a three hour trek and not the one hour trek plus flight times?

For me, however, my choice would be the longest trek on Matanuska I could get. We do the PWS cruise every couple years and it nice but it doesn’t hold my interest the entire time like the glacier does. Hopefully someone who has done both will chime in.

The Reindeer Farm and Musk Ox Farm which are both in Palmer as is Martin Buser's kennel.

http://www.muskoxfarm.org/

http://www.reindeerfarm.com/

Martin Buser's kennel is out at Big Lake, and I would plan on at least 45 minutes getting there from Palmer, as it's at least 30 miles away and very little of the road is 65 mph.

The list of tours, looks like what I always recommend on the drive in these areas.

The 2 pm tour cuts into the day so taking a look at the Spirit Houses at Eklutna and their tour add the transit would fit.

How long is the 2pm tour?? May do Hatcher Pass after? Independence Mine most likely would be closing, however.

What else do you have of interest to fill your Juneau port time? Is it as much of a priority as a Prince William Sound boat tour? Are you at this point planning the PWS boat tour on your embarkment/disembarkment day at Whittier? The trekking is very similiar, and with a private tour at Matanuska, longer- which is always better. :) As already stated above, this is assuming you are doing the level 3 trek with Northstar.

I’ve not been on Mendenhall but from photos the experience would be similar. I’ve heard the helicopter portion is spectacular at times. A three hour trek on Mendenhall and a PWS cruise would be my suggestion. You’ve probably insured this is actually a three hour trek and not the one hour trek plus flight times?
Thanks for your additional thoughts Chilkoot. We've decided to stick to our original plan for a 3-hr glacier trek on Mendenhall. And yes, it's over 5 hrs in total (NorthStar Level 3) with 30 min in a helicopter and a 3 hr guided glacier trek. Should be fun!
Are you at this point planning the PWS boat tour on your embarkment/disembarkment day at Whittier? The trekking is very similiar, and with a private tour at Matanuska, longer- which is always better.
BQ, we're on the HAL 14-day cruise which sails up Cook Inlet into Anchorage, where we're docked for an entire day (7:00 am - 11:00 pm). We were planing to rent a car, head south to Whittier and take a PWS cruise. I hadn't even considered driving north from Anchorage, but now we're tempted to head that way to also trek Matanuska. Our interest definitely leans towards glaciers and ice.

Thanks for your additional thoughts Chilkoot. We've decided to stick to our original plan for a 3-hr glacier trek on Mendenhall. And yes, it's over 5 hrs in total (NorthStar Level 3) with 30 min in a helicopter and a 3 hr guided glacier trek. Should be fun!

BQ, we're on the HAL 14-day cruise which sails up Cook Inlet into Anchorage, where we're docked for an entire day (7:00 am - 11:00 pm). We were planing to rent a car, head south to Whittier and take a PWS cruise. I hadn't even considered driving north from Anchorage, but now we're tempted to head that way to also trek Matanuska. Our interest definitely leans towards glaciers and ice.

If your interest is in glaciers and ice, definitely take the PWS trip. Just took my Anchorage college-level geography class out last Sunday and the Surprise Glacier was very active.

I agree with Chenga- the PWS boat tours are FAR superior for glaciers and ice compared to Matanuska. With that priority, I would look at Prince William Sound tours and their 11am Esther Passage departure.

Archived