Getting off and not getting back on!

toff10

Hello

Wonder if you can help me. We are going to a friends wedding in Sweden and have found a cruise to get us there but we wouldn't finish the cruise as we would get off part way (and fly home after the wedding).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get off a cruise mid way?

Thanks

Soph

We wondered about this same thing six years ago, but the wedding was at the end of September and there were no more cruises going there, so settled on a land trip through Norway and left the group two days early when we got to Stockholm.

I'd love to know if what you want is possible, as I now have grandchildren in Sweden that I want to visit and would love to combine it with a cruise.

Hello

Wonder if you can help me. We are going to a friends wedding in Sweden and have found a cruise to get us there but we wouldn't finish the cruise as we would get off part way (and fly home after the wedding).

Does anyone know if it is possible to get off a cruise mid way?

Thanks

Soph

Yes, we have talked with fellow passangers who have left the cruise enroute.

We have also heard of passangers being left ashore for not making it back in time for departure, take your luggage with you and you'll be just fine.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Just keep in mind that ships can miss a port for various reasons. I was on a cruise once where LeHavre was to be our last stop before we disembarked in Southampton. There were about a hundred or so passengers who were planning on disembarking in LeHavre and going to Paris to stay for a few days before flying home from Paris. The night before we were due in LeHavre it was announced we would be going to Dover instead due to strikes in LeHavre. That sure put a kink in a lot of people's plans.

I agree that there is always the possibility of the ship not making port so take that into consideration. We were on the Crown last September for a T/A and were scheduled to stop in Belfast. I'd booked an independent tour and against my own advice, pre-paid for the tour since the owner wrote to me that a cruise ship hadn't missed Belfast in years and years so it was almost guaranteed. Well, storms (remnants of two hurricanes) met in the Irish Sea and due to wild weather, we stayed docked in Dublin for an extra 24 hours. We skipped Belfast and went on to Reykjavik. And no, McCombs refused to refund anyone's money (we had a full busload from our roll call.)

Thanks for the replies. Good point about missing a port! I guess if the weather looks dodgy we might leave a stop early just to be sure!

Don't think my mate would be too happy about her chief bridesmaid missing the wedding!!!

Our TA just rang PRincess and they said it would be fine!!

That's good news; however, I would want something in writing from Princess. A verbal okay may not cut it once you're onboard.

Lew

We checked with Princess about this subject and we also were told that it was OK with them, but it was up to the passenger to arrange for appropriate immigration procedures in the country where we wanted to disembark. If Princess has entertainers boarding in that port, the immigration people will be there, but otherwise you have to do it yourself. It's a lot easier in Europe in EC countries.

Hi There

Have seen very large groups getting on and off the ship in Europe,

often to safe money, getting on and off in main land Europe saves a lot

just to travel over the channel to Southampton.

yours Shogun

Thanks for the replies. Good point about missing a port! I guess if the weather looks dodgy we might leave a stop early just to be sure!

Don't think my mate would be too happy about her chief bridesmaid missing the wedding!!!

On our Baltic cruise last May we missed Stockholm due to pea soup thick fog. Fortunately they were able to get us to Nynashamn & arrange buses (for a fee) to Stockholm which as I recall was an hour each way. I was amazed at what they were able to do after the fog prvented us from arriving at our port of call. So if there is an alternative way to get passengers to a port they will do it but that's not always possible.

We are in the process of doing this now; leaving the ship in Dubai(flying to Delhi and to the Taj) and rejoining 4 days later in Mumbai. Princess has given their permission to leave and of course we will all have our India Visas, so flying in/out won't be a problem. I will definitely check to see if Dubai has any special idiocyncrasies before purchasing our air.

We have disembarked before the end the cruise 5 times on Celebrity all with prior written approval. Copenhagen, Gibralter, Naples, St. Kitts and Cadiz are places we have disembarked before the end of the cruise. In November we are taking the Ruby Princess to the Eastern Caribbean and have permission to disembark in Grand Turk. We are then flying to Providenciales where we will spend 2 nights and then fly to Miami.

So far we have been fortunate and not missed any ports. However, we realize that if there is bad weather or political unrest that is a possibilty.

The ship will provide the written confirmation to disembark. This should be requested several months in advance. The ship's Documentation Officer will handle immigration and getting your passport stamped for entry. You do not do this yourself. Your passport will be returned to you after you have been cleared to depart the ship.

There are various reasons that passengers get off a ship that had not been preplanned.

We got off a ship (X) in St. Martin after just 2 days. This was never our intention and we walked away from $5k, but we made lemonade out of lemons and had a blast!

Of course this was before 9/11, but consider all the instances when passengers leave for medical reasons.

I would imagine a VISA may be required in some places....and of course, your passport.

We are in the process of doing this now; leaving the ship in Dubai(flying to Delhi and to the Taj) and rejoining 4 days later in Mumbai. Princess has given their permission to leave and of course we will all have our India Visas, so flying in/out won't be a problem. I will definitely check to see if Dubai has any special idiocyncrasies before purchasing our air.

If you travel with any medications, be very careful with Dubai. They have very strict rules regarding drugs. Even if you have a US prescription, you can be arrested for carrying some medications, even just in transit.

(I have always wanted to visit the Seychelles, but it's virtually impossible to fly there without going through Dubai, so I've looked into this some.)

You must call and hope the rep you get knows what form to fill out. It all has to be done in advance. We have done this on HAL and had at all approve before the cruise. They should sent you written permission. You also have to do this for a over night in a port or between ports.

Archived