Evening tours in St. Petersburg with SPB tours

I have not done tours with SPB but have been to Russia twice and I can easily skip a folklore show. Not sure what the fun tour is but I would not recommend it if it includes a circus. What does a fun tour include?

Which cruiseline are you sailing? Check with past cruisers to find out if there are any folklore shows on board. If you are going on the NCL Sun, we were advised that there is a folklore show in both Germany and Russia on the ship while the ship is in port. We are going on the "fun" tour because it includes a canal ride, and shopping. More time to do these things which we won't have during the day. Well, and don't forget the vodka.:);)

Any opinions from those of you that have been on either the Fun evening tour or the Folklore show with SPB tours in St. Petersburg. Which would you suggest doing? Thanks.

Ellen:)

We are a group of six friends on the Azamara Journey who have booked SPB Tours "Evening Fun Tour" in St. Petersburg on Monday, July 18, from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. As of today we need four more adventurous, fun-loving people to make this tour happen. The tour includes a private boat ride on the canal, live authentic folk music, the “White Nights” of the city, strolling along Nevsky prospect for some shopping, vodka, Russian sweets, and more vodka. You can see a full description at http://www.spb-tours.com/st-petersbu...vening-options. The tour costs 55 USD per person, which is not due until the end of the tour.

The Evening Fun Tour must be booked in advance. You cannot wait until you are on the cruise because SPB Tours will need your passport information in advance so they can have your visa ready. If you are interested, please promptly e-mail our group leader, Bill Evans, directly at fwilliamevans@verizon.net. Do not reply to this post here because Bill is not on Cruise Critic and will not see it. I may not either because I do not log in frequently and cannot promise to see it. But I hope to meet you at the Meet & Mingle and on our relaxing and fun evening in St. Petersburg. - John R.

I can't suggest which to do since we only went to the FolkLore Show - but I would suggest that you use your time wisely and see something in the evening in St. Petersburg - don't lose out on your limited time - sleep on the sea days!!

We found the FolkLore Show fantastic - and would highly recommend it!

I commented recently on a post from a HAL cruiser who had the opportunity to take a ship's excursion for an evening at Yusupov Palace - now that would be #1 with me, even though I'm NOT an opera fan! - we saw it during the day, a show in that venue would have been ultra-fabulous!!!

I think the main question is being tired - too long a day touring. While I found that true (and we are seniors!) I also found that having a van right there and ready was such a help that we really didn't feel so tired! There were little decisions to make (other than what to have for lunch!). Not once did we argue which way to go or what bus/train/etc to take - the whole day was stress free!! So by 7pm we were ready to see a show!! And we were back on the ship a little after 9pm! So early I was almost disappointed!! But really, the evening performance added so much to the entire visit - go for it and do something!!!

If you are taking a two day tour of St. Petersburg, then both days will be quite busy and even if you are not exhausted after the first day of touring, taking an evening tour may make you too tired to enjoy the second day.

Also, be aware of when your daytime tour is scheduled to return to the ship and how much time you will have before the evening tour starts.

Do be aware that traffic conditions can prevent your daytime tour from returning at the scheduled time, so don't book an evening tour that starts close to the expected time returning from the daytime tour.

Thank you to everyone that responded. We are on the Emerald Princess, Aug. 31, and have decided to do the fun evening tour. There are now 22 of us on this tour. They also have a folklore show on the canal boat ride. There is no folklore show on the Emerald Princess. Only as an excursion.

Ellen:)

Archived