Is no news bad news?

warringtonian

I have just posted a review of the Crown Princess, but I completely forgot to mention something that many people on board commented on. The TV in the cabins has no news channel, if you don't count CNN sports. Despite the fact that we were going round the British Isles there was no BBC or ITV or Sky news and not even a ship's newspaper. In my case I was able to download the Times each day on an iPad but it just seemed strange.

The crown had limited news on the ta in may. Crew said it was satellite problems but i know that the celebrity ship sailing cloe to us had no problems so there must be several satellites available.

It also may depend on what satellite services are available on a particular route. Lower capacity satellites may have fewer channels.
You're right. It has a lot to do with the satellite and the channel and nothing to do with local programming. And, it has to do with where the ship is sailing (latitude and longitude.)

On the OCEAN PRINCESS in May, we had MSNBC, Fox News and BBC, but no CNN. Speculation was that there may be some licensing costs and/or other fees associated with this.

Actually, even with all of the above, there is very little real and current news, especially about back in the USA if you are from there.

MSNBC - mostly financial and commentary

Fox News - a few hours of real news, then just commentary

BBC - period of news (but very little USA news). Lots of hours on a single subject.

CNN - lots and lots of commentary. News is often of the Nancy Grace variety.

Some times No News Is good. Example: Our last cruise was on the Island Princess heading South out of L.A. for the Canal.

I was laying on the bed sipping a cold one when the New announced that due to heavy rain the Canal had been shut down. :( This was the 3rd time in the History of the Canal.

Mother Nature did take pitty on us and reduced the rain to light drizzle and the locks were reopened by the time we arrived. :) Lucky for us Cruise ships have priority so we sailed on past a lot ships waiting their turn to go through.

Bob

Archived