Early Dining

geh001

How does early dining (6:00pm) work on the days the you can out at a port until 5-6? Do they start later or if you don’t get to the dining room by 6:00 you miss your dining room spot. Thanks

First,, realize that you HAVE to be back on the ship 1/2 hour before the "sailaway" time....

No...they don't start later....you just arrange to get on the ship in time to eat, if you want to use the main dining room. Otherwise, there will be other venues (buffet, room service or "for fee" restaurants) that you can eat at.

If you're more than 10-15 mins. late, the doors are generally closed to the MDR, as meal service will have already begun.

You'll find that after a day ashore, you'll be ready to head back to the ship...port days are tiring!!!

Unless you have children and you're selecting and earlier time to suit your family, the later dining time works out best.

We always choose late dining so we do not have to race back from port and get changed immediately for dinner. Also, this way you are afforded a bit of extra time to lounge by the pool or take an afternoon doze on your balcony. ;)

Jonathan

If you start later, then you might not be finished eating and the late diners want their dinner, not held up because you want to eat later.

choose any time if you dont want to eat at 6 pm every night. 6 pm doesnt mean 6:15 or 6:30 pm either, as that holds up the rest of your table if others are eating with you not in your party, and the waiter has to make another trip to get your meal after he got everyone elses. People who think the 6 pm doesnt apply to him are a pet peeve of mine. I wound up sitting for up to 30 minutes ever night at a 10 top by myself due to people who thought they were special. "Its my vacation" types.

Dont forget there is always a buffet with mostly the same food usually offered on most ships. On Carnival I know they also always have pizza and the deli too. spend a night having the salad bar and sampling the buffet at night, eat slices of watermelon or a calzone from the pizza window.

If you are late getting back, then you would have to choose one of the alternatives for dinner. Depending on the ship, these could include things like the buffet, specialty restaurants, room service, etc.

Archived