Liverpool turn arounds back on the agenda

iadom

This matter is going to be discussed on the Politics Show this Sunday on BBC at 3.10pm.

Thanks for that Ray.

An article last nite in the Southampton Echo suggested that the EC may block the turnaround proposal unless the £9million EC grant is also repaid.

Sorry, this story not on the Echo's website so I can't share it.

But reading more closely, the info came from Southampton's MEP.:rolleyes:

So, in the same way that earlier in this thread I dismissed a more-encouraging article in the Liverpool Echo prompted by Liverpool's MEP, I'm guessing it again has more to do with an MEP wanting some press than any genuine "news"

Looks like we may be seeing Liverpool at St Mary's next season.

Unless Liverpool get relegated :D

JB :)

Amazing how the voice of one scrounger (insert m.e.p) is picked up by the press and not just in southampton! i believe you may be right jb it is more about the m.e.p just trying to get his or her name in print, are they due for an election soon ?

About time Southampton came back to the big league again ... must make sure we do not play in Grey against them! .... :D

Amazing how the voice of one scrounger (insert m.e.p) is picked up by the press and not just in southampton! i believe you may be right jb it is more about the m.e.p just trying to get his or her name in print, are they due for an election soon ?

About time Southampton came back to the big league again ... must make sure we do not play in Grey against them! .... :D

Hi Sid,

Just knew you'd be looking in from time to time ;)

Don't know about M E P elections, will there be an EU left after the current round of "difficulties" in euroland :rolleyes:

Few will understand your final comment. But yes, I remember it well. Fergie needed an excuse after that thrashing :D

Ceefax is currently saying the following:

Funding Threat Over Cruise Plans

Liverpool City Council could be forced to pay back European grant money if the city’s cruise liner terminal changes to become a turnaround facility, a letter seen by the BBC says.

The council wants permission for cruises to start and end in the city.

The publicly funded terminal is restricted to cruise stop-offs only.

The letter from the European Commission to an MEP says that any change of use would mean “a financial correction could not be ruled out”.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't believe my ears thisevening :confused:

The announcement of £8.5 billion (not too sure how many noughts in a billion, but quite a few) of private funds to be spent on developments in the pierhead area - shops, offices, housing, hotels, leisure, & a huge glass tower dwarfing the Three Graces

Ignoring what that does to those imposing iconic & historic buildings, what's with the pleadings of poverty in Liverpool's attempts to use the pier as a turnaround & still hang onto to about £18 million of grants given for a day-call pier ???

C'mon Liverpool, if you want a turnaround, use a tiny proportion of those funds to repay the grants in full & compete for cruise business on a level playing field.

JB ... think you will find that development is the Peel Holdings one that has nothing to do with the Turnaround issue! and is North of the 3 other buildings.

Carnival are heading for the UK! and looking to have ships here at some stage.

JB ... think you will find that development is the Peel Holdings one that has nothing to do with the Turnaround issue! and is North of the 3 other buildings.

Carnival are heading for the UK! and looking to have ships here at some stage.

Right Sid, but adjacent the 3 Graces???

It was suggested that if that redevelopment goes ahead in its proposed form, Liverpool's waterfront will lose its World Heritage status.

But it shows that Peel Holdings have megabucks, so could do the same as Southampton's ABP & build their own turnaround business using their own money - less than one percent of what they're planning to spend next-door.

I'd heard the same rumours about Carnival, but not sure whether it refers to Carnival ships or the other Carnival brands that are already cruising out of the UK.

Carnival UK have big swanky new offices, in ..... errrrr, Southampton :p

Good result at Chelsea, bring on Man C. :)

JB .... have to agree with you on Peel building the facility but knowing them i doubt they would do! not sure if the Heritage status will be taken away or not but i heard the same as you did and saw the local news report on it some months ago.

Must be cheap rents in Southampton or someone got a nice backhander lol.... :eek: didn`t know Man city were playing Southampton!

Must be cheap rents in Southampton or someone got a nice backhander lol.... :eek: didn`t know Man city were playing Southampton!

Nah,Sid, Carnival know where their future lies :p;)

Was thinkin' more about your team - Carling Cup

• 2 months later...
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2012/02/16/cunard-to-start-transatlantic-crossings-from-liverpool-cruise-terminal-99623-30338392/

CUNARD Line is set to start transatlantic crossings from Liverpool now the city’s cruise terminal turnaround row is resolved.

Still not quite a done deal. This is what Cunard said in the article:

"If Liverpool invests in its facilities and has the opportunity for turnaround, it is quite possible voyages could start in Liverpool."

What he's really saying, I think, is this: "if Liverpool spend even more money; and if they're allowed to do turnarounds; then maybe."

Archived