Liverpool turn arounds back on the agenda

iadom

Seems as though a change of mind may be on the cards, good news indeed for the huge number of UK cruisers who live north of Watford.:cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-14065815

Thanx for the update.

Good news indeed for many cruisers living north of Watford, but not for those who've invested their own money in other northern ports such as Newcastle

It seems that Liverpool Council don't intend to repay any of the EU grant, and only £5.3m of the $9.2m grant from UK taxpayers. So, a pier at 25% of cost - that's quite a bargain.

The Shipping Minister's laughable excuse for re-paying only a proportion of the UK grant is an allowance for "depreciation".:rolleyes:

Yes, Minister, allow for depreciation when valuing with a four-year-old car - but a pier???? A pier would cost more to build now that it did in 2007. And repayment of that £5.3m is to be over 15 years - with no mention of interest payable.

Yet again, Liverpool holds out its hand instead of reaching for its wallet.

The facility at Princes Dock is a new pier - but there's no terminal building or other turnaround infrastructure. Where's the approx £40m for that going to come from?

No, don't tell me.

I think I can guess :rolleyes:

John Bull ;)

Seems as though a change of mind may be on the cards, good news indeed for the huge number of UK cruisers who live north of Watford.:cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-14065815

Great news for cruising, an upgraded pier head facility would offer the most aesthetically pleasing cruise terminal in the UK as well as one positioned well for those of us who dont live in London or the south.

Looking forwards to our first cruise ex Liverpool, why should the opportunity to sail in and out of this beautiful city be limited to those on around the UK & Ireland cruises which start from the south?

As for Southampton - stop moaning, you will still have the majority of ships based there. You need competition as you may then clean up your act - piles of scrap metal and smelly processing facilities right near to one of your terminals is not very appealing.

As for Southampton - stop moaning, you will still have the majority of ships based there. You need competition as you may then clean up your act - piles of scrap metal and smelly processing facilities right near to one of your terminals is not very appealing.

Hi D & H,

:confused::confused::confused:

Which Southampton terminal are you referring to? No scrap-metal or "smelly processing facilities" that I'm aware of near any So'ton terminal.

Getting confused with Liverpool's Langton Dock?

Which at least wasn't subsidised.

Simply trying to knock Southampton isn't the way to promote Liverpool's case.

Southampton gets plenty of (fair) competition from Portsmouth, Dover, Harwich, Newcastle, Leith, Rosyth, etc etc etc

JB :)

Southampton gets plenty of (fair) competition from Portsmouth, Dover, Harwich, Newcastle, Leith, Rosyth, etc etc etc

I don't know about the other ports but you won't get today's big cruise ships able to enter Newcastle nor would I have thought Portsmouth.

I don't know about the other ports but you won't get today's big cruise ships able to enter Newcastle nor would I have thought Portsmouth.

Hi Ray,

Don't know about N'castle, you're certainly right about Portsmouth (despite the aircraft carriers), mebbe Rosyth too. But all capable of taking the trade of the smaller cruise ships such as Azamara, Fred, Discovery, Silversea, etc.etc Dover & Harwich no problem. And then there's places like Belfast & Glasgow.

I truly have no problem with Liverpool providing its own facilities, its a great shame the city hasn't been investing over recent years. And yes it'd be easier for many cruise folk "north of Watford".

It's just the subsidising one at the expense of all the others that rankles. Level playing field, fair's fair, etc etc.

And I could get to ride through the City of Liverpool with my '19 Championships' tee shirt and my United scarf trailing from the window.:D

Jim the Red.:cool:

Hi D & H,

:confused::confused::confused:

Which Southampton terminal are you referring to? No scrap-metal or "smelly processing facilities" that I'm aware of near any So'ton terminal.

Getting confused with Liverpool's Langton Dock?

Which at least wasn't subsidised.

Mayflower Terminal Bearth 106, I was near there last Thursday as part of my work, had a stroll across to have a look at QM2 bearthed there and the large pile of scrap metal was very evident as was the smell from the processing facility.

Agreed about the Langton terminal which is why we need to develop the pier head facility for turn round cruises.

Simply trying to knock Southampton isn't the way to promote Liverpool's case.

Just pointing out that Southampton is not perfect as you would have us all believe, your ocean and city terminals are quite nice but the Mayflower is sited in an industrial wasteland and the QE2 terminal is looking very tired and dated.

Suspect you would find some objection if any of the above were about to be developed.

And I could get to ride through the City of Liverpool with my '19 Championships' tee shirt and my United scarf trailing from the window.:D

Jim the Red.:cool:

Many Liverpudlians would bite at that post but not me - Mancunian living in exile:D

I actually love both cities, would love to see the ships cruise up the Ship Canal past my mum & dads house but fear they would get stuck in the locks as it would be like squeezing a pint into a small wine glass!

Would love to see JB's comments when they announce the new cruise terminal in Salford Docks right next to the new BBC complex:)

David.

Hi again D&H,

Can't think of any processing unit near Mayflower terminal, other than the Martini bottling plant. Or any scrap metal. Can only think of containers, car imports/exports, bulk materials handling (sand, aggregates, etc). That's what ports do.

I'll have to take a little drive around next time I'm that way & take a close look-see.

Yes, the QE2 terminal is indeed looking tired.

Never mind, Southampton can ask for a govt. hand-out to spruce it up. :rolleyes:

"Suspect you would find some objection if any of the (other UK ports) were about to be developed."

Huh???? :confused:

Wrong & unfair. And you know it. :mad:

I've already acknowledged in previous threads the investment that other cities such as Portsmouth & Dover have ploughed into their facilities.

Their money.

Not mine.

No problem.

I think I'd best sit-out the soccer side of this thread - we've only just won promotion from total obscurity to second-rate. :D

Hi D & H,

Rosyth can't take big liners and neither can Leith.

The big ships that do come up the Forth tender into South Queensferry

Hi again D&H,

Can't think of any processing unit near Mayflower terminal, other than the Martini bottling plant. Or any scrap metal.

If that's a Martini bottling plant I would suggest not drinking the stuff on health grounds:D. More likely it is a rubbish / sewage treatment plant.

The scrap metal pile was there last Thursday, it was there last August when we cruised on Grand Princess - the view from our balcony was horrible, by far the worst port of the entire cruise.

Rosyth can't take big liners and neither can Leith.

The big ships that do come up the Forth tender into South Queensferry

No doubt the ships anchor in a position to give a lovely view of the Forth Bridge?

Would like to do a round UK & Ireland cruise but we are put off by having to go to Southampton to join a ship that docks at our local port:mad:. We will wait until we can join our ship at Liverpool.

Surely these round UK & Ireland cruises would be more attractive if you could join them at more than one point? We do not have the bizzarre US regulation (Jones act?) that does not allow cruise ships to do this.

I do not care about the politics or vested interests involved but I am sure that the problems (both perceived and real) can be resolved to allow this to happen.

Surely these round UK & Ireland cruises would be more attractive if you could join them at more than one point? We do not have the bizzarre US regulation (Jones act?) that does not allow cruise ships to do this.

I suspect the finances/logistics would make this difficult - even if the ship were to go round & round the same itinerary like a hop-on bus, they'd need approx same numbers getting on & off at each stop to avoid empty cabins.

Excluding that, I guess a cruiser could either board or disembark at their home port but they'd be paying for the full cruise & still have to over-land to or from one of the further ports.

But do many Brits take the round-Britain cruises?

I know that Costa offer the "fare-stage" facility in the Med, so it can be done. And MSC sailing out of Southampton for Copenhagen & beyond offer Copenhagen as an alternate embarkation point for northern europeans. And US pax sometimes jump ship at the last port-of-call such as Cherbourg or Le Havre, in order to get some time in Paris before flying home from there, rather than returning on the last leg to Southampton / Dover & on to Heathrow/Gatwick.

ps. I've never sailed from 106, but I used to frequently drive coaches to/from. Never saw or smelt anything like you mention. This thread is supposed to be about Liverpool, not sour grapes about Southampton's facilities, but I'll check it out.

?

Would like to do a round UK & Ireland cruise but we are put off by having to go to Southampton to join a ship that docks at our local port:mad:. We will wait until we can join our ship at Liverpool.

You could have done that with Cunard this September. Both the QM2 and QE are doing Round the British Isles trips then.

Board the QE in Liverpool on the 8th September and change onto the QM2 in Southampton and back up to Liverpool. It worked out quite expensive though and that particular itinerary isn't available anymore.

They were also doing a Greenock to Greenock with changing ships at Southampton. Also a 5 night Southampton to Greenock. And also a 5 night Greenock to Southampton.

But I think all thes segments have sold out now.

You could have done that with Cunard this September. Both the QM2 and QE are doing Round the British Isles trips then.

Board the QE in Liverpool on the 8th September and change onto the QM2 in Southampton and back up to Liverpool. It worked out quite expensive though and that particular itinerary isn't available anymore.

They were also doing a Greenock to Greenock with changing ships at Southampton. Also a 5 night Southampton to Greenock. And also a 5 night Greenock to Southampton.

But I think all thes segments have sold out now.

I didn't know about those segments, Ray- thanks for the info....

If they're sold out already, perhaps it will persuade Cunard to do a similar thing again....my round the British Isles cruise ranks up there with the best itinerary we've done.

Jo.

In the course of some work I am doing, I have been to the Mayflower Terminal several times over the last month, as well as all the others, also taking many photos, and can't recall any smell or piles of scrap metal David and Heather ????? Where are you looking ?

I agree that a level playing field is needed and if Liverpool hand back the grant then fine !

Not all of the money came from the UK for the pier at Liverpool! but it looks like some people still want to continue the North / South divide argument regardless of what the issue is!

If Southampton is that worried and it is becoming even more clear by certain peoples arguements on here that it is, then maybe the port owners should try their hand at asking for help from Europe?

In the course of some work I am doing, I have been to the Mayflower Terminal serveral times over the last month, as well as all the others, also taking many photos, and can't recall any smell or piles of scrap metal David and Heather ????? Where are you looking ?

Sharon,

The smelly building is just to the right of the terminal building when stood looking at the terminal from the adjacent roadway, if the ship has it's starboard side to the dock the building is level with the tip of the bow. The scrap metal pile is just a little further allong. Both are very noticeable from balconies, the smelly building more so if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Not all of the money came from the UK for the pier at Liverpool! but it looks like some people still want to continue the North / South divide argument regardless of what the issue is!

You are right but in this case my gut feeling is that Liverpool will get the go ahead to develop the pier head facility despite all the opposition coming from Southampton.

Just a little reminder.:)

CC Hosts are not paid employees,they are CC members who are volunteers and as such they are able to give their opinions/post just like any other CC member.

Thank you for your understanding.

Call me pedantic if you wish but if someone is labeled a host and uk ambassador you ought to at least try to be neutral when posting under that user name?

Would it not be better for hosts to post personal opinion under another (non host) user name?

Costa are running the Magica 10n round trip through Dover and are embarking at other ports along the way

The majority(1000s) at Amsterdam mainly Dutch Italian

Lehavre did around 800

Dover 150

Not sure about the others(probably none at south Q)

Great at Dover just walk through to get on only 4 people at the time we boarded.

If Costa can do it why not others.

Even if the current turnaround facilities at Liverpool can't take a big ship why not still use them and bus the people to the ship where it can dock.

There is no requirement after checkin at any port to actualy get on the ship imediately

Archived