Sandwiches to go?

FloridaMimi

Hey folks, I never wanted or intended to break any laws by smuggling ANYTHING on or off the ship. It was only a question to get information. If it's not allowed I won't do it. That's the reason for asking first !!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No Problem. But it is always good to inform everyone. Except for one (Jesse the contrarian;)) this thread has been very understanding.

You are allowed to bring food back on the ship. You just can't bring unsealed packages of food off the ship.

There is a sign as you leave the ship about not taking unopened food off the ship. Out of all the rules that Carnival has, please follow this one. You don't want to be the 1 person that might start an invasive pest infestation in another part of the world.

GEDC2985.jpg

Astoria, OR requests that no food be brought back on the ship. So why do they let the nut roaster onto the dock. OMG those things are good!

A few years back we got held up in the Dome in Long Beach because a couple decided to leave the ship on a sea day. :eek:

Finally the ship brought water down the gangway but no food. Even though the Paradise was loaded for the week no food was allowed off.

So the pax takes the Ham n Cheese sandwich off the ship. On ice but not at the right temp. Gets 'traveler's trots', has no immodium goes to the med center onboard and gets quaranteened as a JIC measure because s/he might have Noro. ;)

Moot point...Has nothing to do with the laws that are being talked about...

That person made that decission to do that....

I used to and still do put a tuna or egg salad sandwich in a paper sack wrapped in waxed paper and no ice for lunch. I don't even wash my hands before eating them...

The worst trots I ever get is from drinking water in a port...Should I stop drinking the water or using ice in a port....I would show the same symptons as you suggest above. Guess I'd get locked up for that too....

Many people suffer from that after a port call...:p

Ship rules (smoking, suggested dress, etc) are not laws.

US laws do not apply when in foreign ports..

True....

The funny part is it is only for produce not for a ham sandwich....You can even make a ham sandwich and carry it off the ship in the US...

No Problem. But it is always good to inform everyone. Except for one (Jesse the contrarian;)) this thread has been very understanding.

Understanding that produce and a sandwich (w/o produce on it) are two different things...:confused:

You did notice that sign in the picture is all produce, I see no sandwich in it....LOL....:p

True....

The funny part is it is only for produce not for a ham sandwich....You can even make a ham sandwich and carry it off the ship in the US...

Ummmmm Carnival didn't when we were stuck in the Dome. Only thing brought off was water.

Here ya go what food you can bring into Mexico--

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/agriculture.php

From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.

Your Ham N Cheese sandwich would not be in the original packaging.

Ummmmm Carnival didn't when we were stuck in the Dome. Only thing brought off was water.

Here ya go what food you can bring into Mexico--

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/agriculture.php

From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.

Your Ham N Cheese sandwich would not be in the original packaging.

That's one port and I am sure they wouldn't pat you down for a sandwich...

I am going on a cruise to Belize would you please get me the list for there so I can see if I can take a ham sandwich into port....

By the way, I don't even take a bottle of water off the ship....;)...But I do love to play with people once in a while....:D

PS: I do have a small vacuum packing paggy machine. If I bring that onboard and pack my sandwich in it then that would be allowable ...right...Bought it at K-Mart....

I took sandwiches last year when I went to Atlantis but I didn't realize that you couldn't (before Cruise Critic). Now that I know, I probably wouldn't do it again. But to answer your question, nobody checked my bags on the way out and we didn't have to pay Atlantis prices for lunch for 7 people.

This might sound like a strange question but, Does anyone know if I Can order a couple of wrapped sandwiches from room service to take with us ashore during our day in port? Has anyone ever done this? :) My thoughts are.... Why buy food in port (unless it's something special) when there's a smorgasbord on board :D Thanks for any info......

omg, no!!!

You cannot bring unopened food into the ports, including the usa. there will be alerts, as well as signs where you get off, with big bins to throw wasted food.

lately, they are searching bags, as some think the laws and rules don't apply to them.

We do it all the time & never had any probs. (But then again...We DON'T "Flash" our food around either...In other words...We keep to ourselves about it....You are NOT "searched" getting OFF the ship, so who is going to know? )

Just Remember...Do NOT Bring the food Back On-Board if you do Not finish it while at port.

We take ziplock baggies on every cruise...some for sandwiches, fruit, tea or water in our water/sports bottles, etc...We pack a complete lunch to consume while at port.

Just don't see the need to purchase food when there's plenty on the ship...Besides, we're a bit reluctant about eating "local" food.

wow! <shaking head>

wow!

so there are actually people out there like you. this is as bad as welcoming someone into your house with an infectious disease, but keeping it quiet. the effects then range from nothing, to something severe, or even worse.

but I'm curious why you think you can't bring food onto a ship.

So the pax takes the Ham n Cheese sandwich off the ship. On ice but not at the right temp. Gets 'traveler's trots', has no immodium goes to the med center onboard and gets quaranteened as a JIC measure because s/he might have Noro. ;)

spoiled food can make you sick, and if thrown away, might attract things that already exist there.

the ecosystem imbalance is bringing "something" harbored in food that is unseen, where the area that it is introduced to has no defense mechanisms that cannot fight against it.

whatever it is that is introduced then can freely take over.

there are reasons these laws exist.

My thoughts are.... Why buy food in port (unless it's something special) when there's a smorgasbord on board :D Thanks for any info......

I can understand that viewpoint, and the solution is to go back to the ship for lunch! I do it all the time - excursion/shopping in the morning, back to the ship, drop off purchases, eat, then head back out for the beach or whatever. If I'm far from the ship or doing an all day activity, I eat in port, though I do have to be careful with my fish and shellfish allergies.

Not only do I not want to bring food off the ship because of potential ecological damage, it's too much hassle. I don't want to have to pack baggies, a cooler, get ice, etc. Not getting a cooler and ice risks food poisoning. Not to mention, I'd feel way too cheap bringing a lunch off the ship :)

I think we could turn this thread around abit....When I cruise I realize I'm going to other countries, that's why I am cruising. I think it is important to realize that if I'm going to be off a ship for a whole day, I will get hungry and plan to save money to feed myself. Try something local, ya know, when in Rome do as the Romans do. ( I still stay away from salad, or anything that grows on the ground, got real sick in MX a long time ago),

Anyway, maybe we could suggest where to get the best ham and cheese sandwich once on land;)

Archived