Korcula; Croatia... Currency use?

A quick google search returned this on croatiatraveller.com:

In a pinch, you can pay with euros, US dollars, pounds sterling or Slovenian tolars (bills only; no coins) bearing in mind that the exchange rate will be unfavourable and your change will be in Croatian kuna. Still, you can get by until you can reach an exchange office (Mjenjacnica) or an ATM.

Lew

Thanks Lew...

I'm always a bit wary of these promotional sites claims since it's in their interests to make all things appear nice & simple; but when it comes to the reality; it's frequently different on the ground...

I'm not opposed to buying local currency if it's required; but if we can use €uros or Dollars that would make life a little easier...

Cheers...

Thanks Lew...

I'm always a bit wary of these promotional sites claims since it's in their interests to make all things appear nice & simple; but when it comes to the reality; it's frequently different on the ground...

I'm not opposed to buying local currency if it's required; but if we can use €uros or Dollars that would make life a little easier...

Cheers...

If you go back to the index for the Med, and check the Dubrovnik lady's posts, you'll see her answer to this question. We've found that €€€ work well, but any State owned places, such as the walls and cable car only take kuna. Immigration were very keen on seeing your passport in Dubrovnik, but not in Korkula....this was in June, this year.

Jo.

We were able to use Euros in May. Only place for kuna was the wall as someone mentioned.

They are trying very hard to get into the European Union and if they do, it will be Euros completely, so a lot of merchants there are happy to take them.

If you go on the wall, you can go to the exchange office, which is right across the street from the place you buy your ticket to get on the wall. which is right across the street from the wall entrance. Easy as it gets.:D

We were able to use Euros in May. Only place for kuna was the wall as someone mentioned.

They are trying very hard to get into the European Union and if they do, it will be Euros completely, so a lot of merchants there are happy to take them.

If you go on the wall, you can go to the exchange office, which is right across the street from the place you buy your ticket to get on the wall. which is right across the street from the wall entrance. Easy as it gets.:D

Accidentally happened upon this thread. And glad I did. We'll be in Korcula in spring of 2012. Helps to know what currency we can use.

We were able to use Euros in May. Only place for kuna was the wall as someone mentioned. They are trying very hard to get into the European Union and if they do, it will be Euros completely, so a lot of merchants there are happy to take them. If you go on the wall, you can go to the exchange office, which is right across the street from the place you buy your ticket to get on the wall. which is right across the street from the wall entrance. Easy as it gets.:D

When I was in Dubrovnik June 16, it's correct that at the "Wall", they don't take euro as it is a government-operation. BUT . . . they took my credit card. Same at lunch, credit cards work well. Along the wall walk, I needed cold water and the merchant/booth along that route had the price posted as two euro and that's what and how I paid. Cab prices were posted in both their local currency AND in euros. We didn't need to get an kura for Croatia and it worked fine. Loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 20,449 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 46,309 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Hi All;

Help please; will we be able to use €uros in Korcula, or will we need Croatian Kunas?

M. Thx...

As I have stated previously, it's hit or miss as to whether a shop, museum or restaurant will accept Euros. The Croatian Kuna is our legal currency and all vendors must accept it. If you pay in Euros, the exchange rate will only benefit the vendor, not you. By using any of our ATM machines, you can obtain amounts from 100 to 2000 Kuna and you will get the best exchange rate from the machine.

Croatia has been accepted to join the EU and it is set for June 2013. It does take a few years after that time frame to begin to make the change from Kuna to Euros. It is a long and tedious process to make a major currency change, don't expect Euros to be the only currency accepted in Croatia.

Do take note, I have been living here for 4 years and have a bit more experience than those who are here for a few hours.

Archived