Rome Hotels

Mura

Oceania is including an overnight stay in Rome pre-cruise. The hotel they are putting us up in is the Sheraton Golf Resort & Hotel. After reading several negative reviews on Trip Advisor, i.e. location from center of Rome over 1/2 hour away, miserable customer service, etc.., I am aprehensive! And a bit surprised, considering the cost of the cruise. Should we wing it & hope for the best or consider looking into another hotel closer to the city center?

Make it another vote for canceling O's "free" hotel and get the $500 credit.

That $500 is likely to get you a nice centrally located hotel with money left over for a nice dinner.

Paul and the others are exactly right. Which is why Oceania's (and Regent's) "free" hotels are a joke. Anytime a company will give you $500 (or $600 in Regent's case) not to use their "free" product, you know it's a moneymaker for them. The buy the rooms in bulk, probably paying about $150 and your "free" room adds $500 to the cost of your cruise.

Take the credit and choose your own hotel in the center of town.

We stayed in Rome in April pre cruise and used the Palace Colonna Hotel - about 10 min walk from Spanish Steps, 5 min from Trevi Fountain and really close to everything but the Vatican. Lovely Brk. on the roof garden and exceptionally nice staff. I can't remember - but think it was about $300 per night with Brk. Many friends have stayed there and always positive reviews.

We have stayed at a lovely, small hotel near Campo di Fiori and just a short stroll from Plaza Navonna (which we visited each evening to listen to the street musicians) called Smeraldo (recommended by Rick Steves and Fodors). It was very reasonably priced (for Rome) and we were able to walk everywhere - to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Vatican, Collesseum, Forum, Plaza Argentino, and Trastavere neighborhood. We're booked there again for an upcoming pre-cruise stay and for a 2012 cruise on Marina we took O's hotel credit and will book Smeraldo again. The rooms are smallish, but comfortable and I believe the price is under 200 euro per night, with breakfast.

Very true, and for that reason, we prefer the Hotel Eden, http://www.edenroma.com/ which gives us the central location without the sticker shock of the Hassler (which is exquisite, I grant you, but at a thousand euros per night in a standard, just too rich for our blood).

Another aspect which hasn't been discussed here is the air conditioning in these hotels. Normally, I'm all about giving up comfort for charm, (I even like those sexy low chairs on the Marina!), but in Rome in the Summer, after a long hot day of touring, I want my room cool AND dehumidified.

Italians cannot seem to wrap their heads around this theory; when it gets warm, their solution is to move less. Therefore, a great many hotels in Rome, even expensive hotels, have what I consider to be substandard air conditioning. Read independent reviews of your hotel BEFORE you book!

I am not paying even close to a 1000 Euros for the Hasslar. I will admit since I travel alone, I will pay a bit more for the convenience and safety of a well known hotel, but I booked so far in advance that I am not even paying 500 euros. :eek:

I am not paying even close to a 1000 Euros for the Hasslar. I will admit since I travel alone, I will pay a bit more for the convenience and safety of a well known hotel, but I booked so far in advance that I am not even paying 500 euros. :eek:

Quite a lot depends on the time of year. I was speaking of rates for mid April of 2012.

That said, the Hassler must be doing something right because when I went back to verify that rate, I learned that the hotel was 100% sold out through late September of 2012.

Recession? What Recession?

Quite a lot depends on the time of year. I was speaking of rates for mid April of 2012.

That said, the Hassler must be doing something right because when I went back to verify that rate, I learned that the hotel was 100% sold out through late September of 2012.

Exactly!!

:):) I better learn how to spell Hassler as opposed to Hasslar

our vote is for the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora....

A/C and room size are to American standards

Rates can be discounted based on different groups you may belong to (ie AARP and AAA, company leisure rate etc)

Close proximity to Villa Borghese

Walking distance to Spanish Steps, other sites, restaurants and nightlife

our vote is for the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora....

A/C and room size are to American standards

Rates can be discounted based on different groups you may belong to (ie AARP and AAA, company leisure rate etc)

Close proximity to Villa Borghese

Walking distance to Spanish Steps, other sites, restaurants and nightlife

We stayed there for a week (for free on Marriott points). If I had not had the free week, I would have opted for a hotel near the Spanish Steps instead. The Grand Flora is divine, but a Spanish Steps location is much better for sightseeing IMO. It's a walk from Via Veneto to the Spanish Steps and that is just the beginning of your day's journey.

Mura - I think you made the right decision.

We stayed at the Westin on Via Veneto and we always felt like were where "home" once we had gotten back to the Spanish Steps in comparison to the miles and miles that we walked otherwise.

We stayed there for a week (for free on Marriott points). If I had not had the free week, I would have opted for a hotel near the Spanish Steps instead. The Grand Flora is divine, but a Spanish Steps location is much better for sightseeing IMO. It's a walk from Via Veneto to the Spanish Steps and that is just the beginning of your day's journey.

Mura - I think you made the right decision.

They may not be sold out but, like many European hotels, just don't have rates for that far in advance yet.

We have a last minute itinerary change -- from Alaska to Rome. So I'm checking out hotels but I really don't know Rome at all, in terms of location or quality of hotels. I tried searching at the CC website to begin with but didn't come up with anything definitive. And I will post the question at the Roll Call.

But does anyone have a suggestion for a moderately price hotel in Rome? When I say "moderate" I'm well aware that this is an expensive city!

But I'd also appreciate hints about just where we want to be. We will have 2-1/2 days in Rome so we want to use our time wisely.

Of course, we can spend more in Rome since we won't be spending that much in Istanbul, on the other end of the cruise ...

Many thanks for any information!

Mura

Hi Mura

We enjoyed the IQ Hotel in Rome before our Rome to Venice Marina cruise

in April 2011

Did a write up with photos on Trip Advisor

Dick & Janet

• 2 months later...
I second the location at Spanish steps (although Piazza Navona is great as well).

The best deal in Rome, IMO, is an award night at the Intercontinental (mentioned above) which can be booked for 40,000 points/night, which in turn can "be had" (not bought) for $240 (yes that is $$, not Euros). Mind you, it will be a standard room (w/o a view or breakfast) but in the IC at a great price - location, location, location...

E mail me (or I can e mail you) to tell you how to get 40K points for $240 if you are interested.

I would love to find out how to use points to stay at IC. Please advise, my personal email is carmendmunoz@gmail.com

Having returned home just last month and having stayed in Rome where we did, I figured I would have to come back to this thread and report.

Spending time where we stayed as well as visiting the Spanish Steps, I could only wonder why so many people somehow think the Spanish Steps are a superior place to stay.

My only guess is that they've just always stayed there. There are a number of hotels near the Spanish Steps and the area does have a lot of high end shopping and traffic and is, obviously a hustling and bustling location...

BUT, while visiting the Spanish Steps, I could only be ecstatic about where we chose to stay...

We stayed at the Residenza Farnese...

It was a small hotel on a very quiet side street just off the river and within about a block of the Campo di Fiore, about three blocks from the Piazza Navona...

Now, I was very familiar with the Piazza Navona from prior visits...and it is just a very "happening" place, bustling with nightlife...and more enjoyable than the Spanish Steps...

But, what I discovered on this trip was the Campo di Fiore. Somehow, I just missed it on prior trips...

The Campo is just a beautiful little square lined with several very good and very reasonably priced restaurants, all with ample outdoor seating on the Campo...We ate dinner in two of them and both dinners were excellent...and not the typical rip-off tourist prices found in more touristy locales. There were not one, but two "Blue Ice" Gelato places on the short road between the Campo and Piazza Navona--with some simply outstansding ice cream...

We had an easy walk from there to the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Trevi and other sites of Rome...We used the AAA Spiral Guide's suggested walking tour to visit "Ancient Rome", the Ghetto and a variety of sights--the suggested path went right by our hotel...

And each night, we returned to our quiet little hotel for a sound night's sleep and an excellent breakfast...

And the rates at this hotel were an absolute bargain...We paid a mere €120 per night...

I am absolutely certain that you cannot beat this location...Of course, saying that, I am aware other people can have other preferences as to what they want in a location...though I think many people somehow just default to "Spanish Steps"...IMHO, this location is just vastly superior in a number of respects...

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/

We are returning to Rome for Insignia's trans-Atlantic in November.

On a previous voyage we stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo, just off the campo Fiori. The accomodations were fine, and we walked to the Vatican as well at the other attractions of ancient Rome. We are again booked at the Smeraldo.

It sounds like we would love your place as well, Bruin Steve, but we're staying near the Spanish Steps mainly because a travel companion is there as well (only they are in a five star hotel and we are NOT!) and it's easier for the limo pickup when we go to the port. But I'll definitely make note of your comments for next time!

Mura

I will second the Albergo Cesari. Fabulous location near the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain and not far from the Collesium. It's a lovely hotel with a beautiful rooftop, atrium breakfast room with delicious food. My hushand and I were there for several days before boarding a cruise from Rome to Venice. We walked everywhere there was to go in Rome from the Cesari -- never saw the inside of a taxi cab the entire time. Loved it! I want to go back!

We are returning to Rome for Insignia's trans-Atlantic in November.

On a previous voyage we stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo, just off the campo Fiori. The accomodations were fine, and we walked to the Vatican as well at the other attractions of ancient Rome. We are again booked at the Smeraldo.

That's my hotel! Stayed there twice, the last time for five nights in June 2009. Fabulous location near Campo di Fiori and excellent a/c. Also very near the Largo Argentina bus hub so wonderful for public transportation.

Unusually for me, perhaps:D, I agree with Bruin Steve. I much prefer to stay in "Old Rome", so lovely for evening strolling and outdoor dining, than in the Spanish Steps area, where I stayed on my first trip to Italy when still in my 20's. (I leave it to all of you to decide how long ago that was!:))

I agree with Bruin Steve. I much prefer to stay in "Old Rome", so lovely for evening strolling and outdoor dining, than in the Spanish Steps area, where I stayed on my first trip to Italy when still in my 20's. (I leave it to all of you to decide how long ago that was!:))

I know, I know!!!:D

Everyone has their preference to location the same way our interests vary with restaurants. I have been to Rome numerous times and prefer the Spanish Steps area for the ambience, people watching and great shopping on the Via Condotti. I walk everywhere for the experience of Old Rome. If I want quiet, I stay home. :D

Such an interesting thread: one passenger who stays in the Owner's Suite stays at such a moderately priced hotel in Rome while others are suggesting hotels that cost a small "fortune". We stayed at the Westin Excelsior (Starwood points reduced the cost) several times and always enjoyed its location. We actually had a nice breakfast at the nearby Marriott. We often walked to the Spanish Steps but also could walk to the Borghese Gardens. Visited the Eden as well, and thought it was lovely.

Everyone has their preference to location the same way our interests vary with restaurants. I have been to Rome numerous times and prefer the Spanish Steps area for the ambience, people watching and great shopping on the Via Condotti. I walk everywhere for the experience of Old Rome. If I want quiet, I stay home. :D

Ditto! The fact that you can walk almost everywhere from the Spanish Steps makes it perfect for us as well.:)

Such an interesting thread: one passenger who stays in the Owner's Suite stays at such a moderately priced hotel in Rome ...

Sometimes I just love a bargain...we all choose where to spend our money...

Ditto! The fact that you can walk almost everywhere from the Spanish Steps makes it perfect for us as well.:)

Take a good look at a map of Rome...The Campo di Fiorearea is FAR MORE CENTRALLY LOCATED than the Spanish Steps...Plot where all of the main sights are on a map--Vatican City, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Coliseum, Forum, etc....All closer walking distance from Campo di Fiore...

You can walk almost anywhere in Rome...it's just a shorter walk from some places...

Again, I get the feeling a lot of folks who tend to think the Spanish Steps are at the center of everything just haven't looked at a map...It is certainly not a terrible location, it's just that Campo di Fiore/Piazza Navona is a superior location...and the nightlife right at your doorstep is incredible...

BTW, the Piazza Navona and the Campo di Fiore are anything but "quiet"...What was "quiet" was the location of our hotel...Very quiet, but within a very short walk of all of the nightlife one could want...

If you have never spent part of your evening at the Piazza Navona, you have missed what for me is the highlight of Rome...The Piazza comes alive with every kind of street entertainment one could imagine--artists, dancers, singers, and much more...absolutely surreal...

Sometimes I just love a bargain...we all choose where to spend our money...

Take a good look at a map of Rome...The Campo di Fiorearea is FAR MORE CENTRALLY LOCATED than the Spanish Steps...Plot where all of the main sights are on a map--Vatican City, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Coliseum, Forum, etc....All closer walking distance from Campo di Fiore...

You can walk almost anywhere in Rome...it's just a shorter walk from some places...

Again, I get the feeling a lot of folks who tend to think the Spanish Steps are at the center of everything just haven't looked at a map...It is certainly not a terrible location, it's just that Campo di Fiore/Piazza Navona is a superior location...and the nightlife right at your doorstep is incredible...

BTW, the Piazza Navona and the Campo di Fiore are anything but "quiet"...What was "quiet" was the location of our hotel...Very quiet, but within a very short walk of all of the nightlife one could want...

If you have never spent part of your evening at the Piazza Navona, you have missed what for me is the highlight of Rome...The Piazza comes alive with every kind of street entertainment one could imagine--artists, dancers, singers, and much more...absolutely surreal...

To each his own.:rolleyes:

Archived