Carnival Insurance

CRUISE4JANE

I booked an ES and bought the Carnival Insurance. I was told it covers trip cancellation, medical, etc. I am getting mixed signals about the pre-existing condition thing. Can anyone who has gotten their insurance through Carnival explain this? :confused:

Some people dont understand you also have to PAY for the insurance within the two weeks for it to cover pre-existing. From what I know if you just paid the deposit on the cruise and did not pay for the insurance, its not bought within the allowed time frame so it would not cover pre-existing.

Some people dont understand you also have to PAY for the insurance within the two weeks for it to cover pre-existing. From what I know if you just paid the deposit on the cruise and did not pay for the insurance, its not bought within the allowed time frame so it would not cover pre-existing.

I booked the cruise on a Saturday through Carnival and told the PVP I wanted the insurance. Then after I received his email with confirmation etc., I realized he did not add the insurance on yet. I called him back, which was only 2-3 days later, and told him to add it on immediately. I guess I am safe, huh?

If he added the insurance within 2 to 3 days after you paid your deposit you will be covered for pre-existing. However, I don't think it will cover you for trip cancellation since you booked ES.

And as another person said, next time buy your insurance through one of the companies on insuremytrip.com, they offer more coverage for less price. I end up with Travel Guard most of the time, but sometimes select CSA.

I did not realize that Carnival's insurance NOW covers pre existing conditions! When did they change that??

One of the reasons we have not booked through Carnival is the insurance issue. The TA we use offers decent insurance and it is just easier to book both the cruise and the insurance at one time.

I did not realize that Carnival's insurance NOW covers pre existing conditions! When did they change that??

One of the reasons we have not booked through Carnival is the insurance issue. The TA we use offers decent insurance and it is just easier to book both the cruise and the insurance at one time.

I figured it would be easier to get insurance with Carnival since I booked the cruise with them.

If he added the insurance within 2 to 3 days after you paid your deposit you will be covered for pre-existing. However, I don't think it will cover you for trip cancellation since you booked ES.

And as another person said, next time buy your insurance through one of the companies on insuremytrip.com, they offer more coverage for less price. I end up with Travel Guard most of the time, but sometimes select CSA.

Interesting comment. For our last two cruises, I bought our trip insurance through Carnival and estimate I saved about $40 each time over Travel Guard. I've read the Travel Guard policies and the Carnival coverage and they're just about identical. In 20 cruises, I've had to use my trip insurance twice, each time for having our flights cancelled on us for weather reasons. The first time, we were reimbursed for our new flights almost immediately by Travel Guard. The second time, we fought with them for almost a year before they finally forked over our money.

Get copies of the policies and compare them. Do not buy a policy based on price alone. Just because one policy is $50 less than the next policy does not mean it's a better policy. Remember that old caveat - "You get what you pay for."

I am covered with trip cancelltion. It is the pre-existing thing I am concerned about.

I checked with Carnival and they said I had trip cancellation.:rolleyes:

Well, I hope that you don't have to find out.......If I ever had to cancel a trip I think it would kill me.......but it does concern me that Carnival is so adamant that ES is non-refundable, I'm wondering what their interpretation of trip cancellation is.

Interesting comment. For our last two cruises, I bought our trip insurance through Carnival and estimate I saved about $40 each time over Travel Guard. I've read the Travel Guard policies and the Carnival coverage and they're just about identical. In 20 cruises, I've had to use my trip insurance twice, each time for having our flights cancelled on us for weather reasons. The first time, we were reimbursed for our new flights almost immediately by Travel Guard. The second time, we fought with them for almost a year before they finally forked over our money.

Get copies of the policies and compare them. Do not buy a policy based on price alone. Just because one policy is $50 less than the next policy does not mean it's a better policy. Remember that old caveat - "You get what you pay for."

I think the biggest difference that I see is the amount of emergency evacuation allowance. I don't want to be stuck with a small allowance, I usually go with at least $250,000 and I want to be brought to a state side hospital, not just the closest hospital to where I am.

That hospital in St. Kitts is just scary........

Knock on wood that we continue to have totally unnecessary trip insurance.......:)

I am covered with trip cancelltion. It is the pre-existing thing I am concerned about.

Here is a link to the carnival travel insurance policy (for new sailings effective March 1, 2011).

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/vacation_protection_plan/Carnival_plan_desc_1010.pdf

I read through it and I can not find any information about a pre-existing condition waiver. Everything seems to indicate that they will NOT cover pre-existing conditions for cruise interruption/ cancellation or for medical emergencies. Maybe I missed it???

We have always booked outside of Carnival, not only for a lower cost for better coverage, but because we get Travel Insurance that is the PRIMARY carrier in coverage. Carnival's plan is as a "secondary" coverage, meaning it kicks in AFTER your own insurance covers....that means double paperwork and followup AFTER filing with your own insurer first. I, for one, am all for simplicity. We have used Travelex, which is a PRIMARY insurer through A+ rated Nationwide Insurance. It may be worth looking into.

I does cover trip cancellation/trip interruption also.

I spoked to a HUMAN, that's right HUMAN, yesterday to go over everything. Also spoked to another HUMAN today to see if I got a different answer. I was told both times that the pre-existing thing comes into effect for the 60 days prior to getting insurance (of course I understand that you need the insurance within a time frame of booking). Anytime prior to 60 days of getting the insurance or the 60 days after you got the insurance you are covered for pre-existing condition.

The insurance document says that if you were treated with medicine for a pre existing condition 60 days before then THAT condition is NOT covered.

Soo if my husband takes meds for a heart condition he would NOT be covered if he had a heart attack.

I may be reading the document wrong but words written down are more reliable than words spoken on a telephone.(IMO)

From the policy

In Parts A & B (except Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation) we will not pay for any loss caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion as defined below.

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

If you have any questions concerning this exclusion, please call 1-800-331-2796 for further clarification

The insurance document says that if you were treated with medicine for a pre existing condition 60 days before then THAT condition is NOT covered.

Soo if my husband takes meds for a heart condition he would NOT be covered if he had a heart attack.

I may be reading the document wrong but words written down are more reliable than words spoken on a telephone.(IMO)

In a way you are correct, but lets say your husband has been on medication for his heart and he goes for his regular checkups without any change, then it is not considered pre-existing, but if his medication or he had a change within that 60 day wait period, it would be considered pre-existing.

From the policy

In Parts A & B (except Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation) we will not pay for any loss caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion as defined below.

Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, or Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.

If you have any questions concerning this exclusion, please call 1-800-331-2796 for further clarification

Thanks Bev. You answered it perfectly! :)

Archived