has CCL fallen that far?

I prefer CCL's food to Princess and NCL but I would love to see some new menu choices. CCL's coffee has improved and they now offer tea choices-green and herbal on the Lido deck. We cruise 3-4 times a year and have no major complaints with the food on CCL. I agree that this is all a matter of opinion. There seems to be an attitude that NCL and RC are higher class cruiselines even though the demographics-average cruiser are similar for all 3 lines.

...There seems to be an attitude that NCL and RC are higher class cruiselines even though the demographics-average cruiser are similar for all 3 lines.

I have taken note of passenger differences on our CCL vs NCL vs Celebrity cruises. The one of ours on RC was a short 3 day sailing out of the the port here, and I can't really recall noticing a difference. On the others, it was obvious.

This applies only to the nationality or ethnicity of the other guests onboard. With MANY Carnival sailings, I would say that an overwhelming majority of the passengers were English speaking US people. It was not until I sailed on (any) Celebrity ship or on NCL (Epic) that I noticed a substantial change. The predominant foreign language I hear on Carnival is Spanish. On the other two lines, each and every day, I constantly crossed paths with people who were speaking German, French, various Asian languages, etc... I mainly attribute that to the fact that both NCL and Celebrity have extensive cruise itineraries outside of the US. Thus people of foreign origin are more familiar with those lines, and feel comfortable choosing those over Carnival. I have been on a few Carnival ships, particularity those sailing out of south Florida, where important announcements were repeated in Spanish. On the other lines (also sailing from Florida), owing to the more diverse guest list, it was not uncommon to hear 3 or 4 translations of the lifeboat drill.

Saying this is not implying that Carnival therefore is less sophisticated, but rather that they are simply more homogenized compared to the other lines.

... now, why I see a few more guys in wife beater shirts on Carnival as opposed to the other two lines is anyone's guess... perhaps because fewer people from other nations dress in such a manner! :eek:

Tom

I just got back on Sunday from a 7 day cruise on Carnival Conquest, and the food was horrible! Now im a first time cruiser and i wasnt impressed one bit! I ate at mdr for dinner twice, complete waste of time. I want to add that the staff on the ship was fantastic, super friendly and helpful.

The thing is, for what you pay to take a cruise on CCL, that is what you are going to get and you can't expect more....although I personally wouldn't call CCL food 'horrible' by any means. It's just 'banquet-like'

Some people are plenty content with what CCL offers, and that's great. My hope is that they'll keep their mdr food the same for people who like it, but in the future, when building new ships, add different restaurant venues with a small upcharge, so that people who would prefer to eat something more like a restaurant meal as opposed to banquet fare can have the option to do so.

If that doesn't happen, that's fine too. There are other lines to sail so it's all good. :)

The thing is, for what you pay to take a cruise on CCL, that is what you are going to get and you can't expect more....although I personally wouldn't call CCL food 'horrible' by any means. It's just 'banquet-like'

Some people are plenty content with what CCL offers, and that's great. My hope is that they'll keep their mdr food the same for people who like it, but in the future, when building new ships, add different restaurant venues with a small upcharge, so that people who would prefer to eat something more like a restaurant meal as opposed to banquet fare can have the option to do so.

If that doesn't happen, that's fine too. There are other lines to sail so it's all good. :)

I would like to see a radical change in Carnival's food offerings on new ships. Completely abolish the MDR. Have only paid for venues except for the buffet. For the most part, paid for venues offer tremendous food in quality and service. So I say, do away with the MDR, lower the cruise prices and let people spend $20-$40 extra per person for a fine quality meal.

I would like to see a radical change in Carnival's food offerings on new ships. Completely abolish the MDR. Have only paid for venues except for the buffet. For the most part, paid for venues offer tremendous food in quality and service. So I say, do away with the MDR, lower the cruise prices and let people spend $20-$40 extra per person for a fine quality meal.

While I love your plan, I do fear there are people on here that would love to hang you for that treasonal idea.

And CCL never does anything radical (other than decor) :p

While I love your plan, I do fear there are people on here that would love to hang you for that treasonal idea.

And CCL never does anything radical (other than decor) :p

Right and the one radical thing they did(decor) has been successful, who wants the ships to look like grandmothers house like RCI and NCL, I prefer the youthful,wildly exciting vegas decor to get me in the fun ship mood.;)

We haven't been on a cruise since 2009, but we really enjoyed the food on all of our cruises. We did think that there were couple of food idems that weren't offered any more in the MDR. There was an item or two that I didn't think was what was said to be what I ordered, but just about everything was real good. The flat iron steak was one of my favorites, and the three lobster tail were great too. Something might of chanced a little, but overall we thought that all the food was very good on the ship.

I don't think ANY cruise company has done away with their MDR - why would Carnival? I would never sail on a ship that only has pay per dining venues. I can't imagine 3,000 or more people "fighting" for a limited amount of spots in a specialty restaurant. If you think that will raise the standard of food, passengers, etc., I think you are wrong. I have eaten at some of the top steakhouses here in NY (Peter Lugar, RuthChris's, Mortons, Smith + Wolensky, etc.) and I wouldn't break any doors down going back to any of them. Food is totally an individual taste. Maybe people DO need to switch out of CCL and go to other lines that feed them better!:p

The only thing I have to add - after 9 CCL cruises; with the 10th scheduled - is that the CCL menu has definately become predictible. Right down to the order of the menus on a 7 or 8 day itinerary....fleet wide.

So, we have begun to eat in the Steahouse more than once per cruise - and tried the Chef's Table - because we miss the excitement of trying something new, different or unusual that we do not typically eat at home.

We have not ever had a cruise that we though the food was "bad". But we certainly have gotten to the point that it feels routine :cool:.

... Maybe people DO need to switch out of CCL and go to other lines that feed them better!:p

Or, if for no other reason, simply to see what others have to offer. It's not like you are married to one particular line, and need to be faithful! In this case, taste some other flavors which variety permits - if only to end up back where you started if you are happier there.

When reading reviews, or pro/con comments, I tend to put more faith in posts from people with multiple cruise lines in their signature. That is not to say that people who are only familiar with one cruise line are not correct in their observations - though they have a higher chance of bias owing to potential tunnel vision.

Tom

Lots of MDR menus and food pictures from a recent Carnival cruise:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/MENUS/index.htm

Quality and variety was excellent. No need to pay extra to obtain edible food such as one needs to do on NCL. Also no need to make reservations or to be told, sorry, sold out this evening.

This just made it to my favorites list! The chef on Majic is putting out a beautiful product, much much better than "cook" on Inspiration.

It'd be nice if they switched up the days order so you could get oysters on a 5 day cruise.

Right and the one radical thing they did(decor) has been successful, who wants the ships to look like grandmothers house like RCI and NCL, I prefer the youthful,wildly exciting vegas decor to get me in the fun ship mood.;)

I understand...I used to feel like that and then after so many cruises, it (and I) got old :p

Different strokes for different folks..

And btw...have you ever been on a Royal ship?? They are flipping gorgeous.

Grandmother?? Hardly.

When I first cruised NCL, I found it below CCLs standards.

As each year went by the gap between the two became less and less. NCL seems to be stepping it up a little , while CCL seems to be going in the opposite direction.

I still enjoy my meals on CCL and have never gone hungry on any cruise, but to think there hasn't been a decline is just being blind.

After my last NCL/CCL cruises, I would still give a slight edge to CCL...BUT in the mdr only. NCL's buffet is better (not that it matters much to me, I really can't stand waiting in line for food, so I try to avoid that) and I love, love, love the dining options that NCL offers, even with the surcharge.

One thing I will never get on NCL in the mdr is lobster...CCl and celebrity can do lobster but NCL and RCI can't. The lobster in the specialty restaurants on NCL is fabulous however...

NCL still has more free options than CCL and on sea days they grill out on the pool deck and not just burgers and dogs. You could have your burger, if you wanted but they also were cooking mussles in white wine and garlic and rice stir fry as well as chicken..sometimes they do ribs (my DH specifically looks for these...he thinks they're amazing). I've never seen CCL do anything like that.

DSC07331.jpg

...in between some statues legs!?!?:eek:

The only thing I have to add - after 9 CCL cruises; with the 10th scheduled - is that the CCL menu has definately become predictible. Right down to the order of the menus on a 7 or 8 day itinerary....fleet wide.

So, we have begun to eat in the Steahouse more than once per cruise - and tried the Chef's Table - because we miss the excitement of trying something new, different or unusual that we do not typically eat at home.

We have not ever had a cruise that we though the food was "bad". But we certainly have gotten to the point that it feels routine :cool:.

Ya, we're getting to the same place. BUT I think people whoe cruise 10+ times on CCL are the exception, maybe the top 2 percent of cruisers. Most people who cruise a few times in their lives, or once every 3 or 4 years (which are the majority of CCLers) would never notice.

I understand...I used to feel like that and then after so many cruises, it (and I) got old :p

Different strokes for different folks..

And btw...have you ever been on a Royal ship?? They are flipping gorgeous.

Grandmother?? Hardly.

Or NCL for that matter, lovely ships with a ton of character!

I cruised on The Miracle in May...2008...2010...2011

The MDR same stuff really...not any different...I do however love all the Pasta dishes..

The Lido...well Breakfast...same...lunch...same...Dinner at the lido was ok

All in all food is subjective to ones own opinion.

I agree though that it does need to be different...not so boring...even Nick and Nora`s was pretty much the same...you would think this would change????!!!!

PS I don`t cruise for food...If I want Gourmet Food...I go to a Gourmet Restaurant

Your grandmother sounds awesome. She obviously has gorgeous, modern tastes.

When I sailed Princess awhile back we ate in the MDR one night and I thought it was fantastic, of course it was my first cruise.

The buffet was awful and barely edible.

My DH and I enjoy Carnival and sometimes you get something that isn't to your liking and sometimes you get something that is great. I enjoy having the ability to change it up and ask for other items.

My DH is happy they will have fried chicken and he loves the ribs. He would enjoy meatloaf too if it does get offered. He is a southern man and loves southern food.

I have never been disappointed with Carnival. They have even made me a dish that was not on the menu when I requested ahead of time. This was great on an evening where I did not see anything I wanted.

I have noticed a slight decline in the food on Carnival. As you can see by my signature I have sailed with them plenty (2-3 times a year) every year for the last 6-7 years. We have sailed so much that my 5 year-old is platinum. Anyhow, the MDR I feel is about the same, they have changed some things but overall the quality is the same. Although it is predictable from ship to ship sailing to sailing. The biggest change I have noticed is the Lido buffet. Like others have said, there used to be different things offered on each side of the buffet (ex- french one side, Caribbean on the other). Now it is smaller selections on each side and both sides are the same. Its not a deal breaker because I have always enjoyed food on every cruise and never left hungry, lol. I just noticed it, so its worth commenting on. I guess in this economy you have to make some concessions. I just worry that with all the improvements on other lines (royal making every ship oasis style, NCL with their specialty restaurants and EPIC, etc etc)that Carnival is going to fall further. Perhaps if they keep their prices right which they are still doing, people will continue to sail them. I own carnival stock so I want them to succeed!

...I guess in this economy you have to make some concessions. I just worry that with all the improvements on other lines (royal making every ship oasis style, NCL with their specialty restaurants and EPIC, etc etc)that Carnival is going to fall further. Perhaps if they keep their prices right which they are still doing, people will continue to sail them. I own carnival stock so I want them to succeed!

I think you'll really like the Epic!!

I have CCL stock as well, and in spite of complaints I might have, they are good at what they do... and that's continue to make $$$!

Tom

Or, if for no other reason, simply to see what others have to offer. It's not like you are married to one particular line, and need to be faithful! In this case, taste some other flavors which variety permits - if only to end up back where you started if you are happier there.

When reading reviews, or pro/con comments, I tend to put more faith in posts from people with multiple cruise lines in their signature. That is not to say that people who are only familiar with one cruise line are not correct in their observations - though they have a higher chance of bias owing to potential tunnel vision.

Tom

I totally agree with you here. We switched from Disney to CCL because after 3x on Disney it did become predictable - from the dining rooms to the entertainment to the itineraries. They only had 2 ships at that time. However, with CCL having so many ships, kind of different itineraries, and (usually) different entertainment on each ship, we have been satisfied up till now. I do have a roving eye, however, and have been scoping out other cruise lines with slightly different itineraries. Unfortunately, I can only sail during high seasons, and there is still a substantial price difference between say, RCCL and CCL during Christmas. (and I am a balcony snob) DH says we can (luckily) well afford to try a new ship, but I am cheap, and I am the one holding up switching! And then CCL comes out with the Breeze, which I have my eye on for 12/12, with a great Southern itinerary and 8 night cruise for Christmas, and a decent price. Probably can't pass it up!

Archived