Singapore Hotel - Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, or somewhere else?

pke-atlanta

Looking for a nice, well-located hotel for a first visit to Singapore. Can anyone who has been recommend one of these two hotels over the other? We want a nice hotel, but are not willing to spend the $800/night for Raffles when the Ritz or MO are half that much. We only have one day there, so great views and convenient to high-end shopping would be pluses. Thanks.

Looking for a nice, well-located hotel for a first visit to Singapore. Can anyone who has been recommend one of these two hotels over the other? We want a nice hotel, but are not willing to spend the $800/night for Raffles when the Ritz or MO are half that much. We only have one day there, so great views and convenient to high-end shopping would be pluses. Thanks.

Fairmont. Across the street from Raffles. Very very good.

Ritz Carlton is really nice - 5 star hotel with amazing views. If you can afford it, get a high floor. They have both harbour and city views - harbour view is more expensive.

If you can afford it, the Marina Bay Sands Hotel is the latest addition. Amazingly posh hotel.

Raffles is expensive because they are all suites. And you pay for the name. I personally don't feel comfortable in there as a visitor. They are so behind the times it's like being back in the colonial days!

Ritz Carlton and Sands are both serviced by very good public transport - bus and underground.

If you want to be in the middle of the action in Orchard Road area, the Regency Hyatt Hotel, Marriott Hotel, or the Mandarin in Orchard Road are good.

(I originate from S'pore)

I love Ritz Carlton but would not pick the one in Singapore. I find it to be too far removed from everything.

We just stayed at the Four Seasons Property in Singapore and loved the hotel and the location.

I'm familiar with Raffles but I would not stay there.

Keith

Everything in Spore is easy to get to. The new Circle line goes to the Ritz Carlton area and it's so accessible to the "main" town area, though there is an amazing amount of shopping malls just by the hotel.

Sometimes it's nicer to stay 5 mins away then right there, less noise, better views.

The service at Ritz Carlton is amazing. Don't let the location (which I can't find fault with) put you off.

karenbeanpole, my problem with the location of the Ritz was that I found it difficult to getting from there on foot from say Orchid Rd. Not saying impossible but just found it a bit out of the way and a little tougher to maneuver around. My wife and I are big walkers who walk miles upon miles. Just thought it was out of the way. Normally we do stay at Ritz Carlton's as our first choice as we enjoy the club floor. Once in a while we don't if we don't care for location and for us it didn't work. For others it might work.

To me if the OP is staying there just for one night they are better off being someplace a little more central to things. If they were staying there several days maybe that's a different story although again for us the location didn't work.

Now, back to pke-Altanta. There are lots of good choices and not one. You can easily find several that will work. We were please with the Four Seasons so I would check that out but don't limit your own research to that. By all means look at the Ritz (but do look at it on a map) and also look at others such as the Mandarin Oriental.

Keith

Yeah I agree that if you are only in Spore 1 night, then you want to be bang in the middle of the action, to save on time and trouble. Can even go back to the hotel when you've had enough shopping, and go out easily.

Whatever hotel in Spore you choose, it's going to be pretty amazing compared to some hotels in the world, and you get a very good standard for the money you pay.

Karen and Keith, thank you both for the insight and suggestions! You've been very helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Will let you know where we end up and how we like it.

I am glad we can help and wish you a wonderful cruise and stay in Singapore and look forward to hearing all about it.

Keith

• 2 months later...

We have stayed at many hotels in Singapore including the Marina Mandarin, the Regent, the Sheraton, the Ritz Carlton (at least 4 times) but our latest favourite is the Intercontinental which has a station very close by and is handy to Raffles, Bugis Street and has a shopping arcade right out the door.

We quite like the Ritz though we do find the rooms to be quite sterile and I think some of their wonderful views may have gone now as they are building high rises close by. I must admit, lying in the bath and looking out the window at the view is just fantastic. It also has a lovely pool area though staying for only one night, you won't be taking advantage of that.

Anyhow, wherever you choose to stay in Singapore, you will find a large room and every convenience. We always have a break there on our way home from Europe each year.

By the way, if you would prefer to be close to the airport, the Crowne Plaza is fantastic and it is an easy train ride into the city.

Jennie

We have stayed at many hotels in Singapore including the Marina Mandarin, the Regent, the Sheraton, the Ritz Carlton (at least 4 times) but our latest favourite is the Intercontinental which has a station very close by and is handy to Raffles, Bugis Street and has a shopping arcade right out the door.

Jennie

Aussie Gal, we've booked 2 nights at the Intercontinental. The first night we'll be arriving quite late (probably 11 pm-ish) and wonder what's nearby for a quick bite to eat. I understand the hotel adjoins a mall with food places, but will it be open that late? Also any favourites for a nice dinner the next night?

Thanks for any advice.

We always book a Club room and find that there is ample to eat there though we have eaten out a lot in Singapore but you need a taxi to get to the restaurants. Here are a couple of links to some good restaurants: http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/eat/5-singapores-best-restaurants-view-034768 and http://www.bestsingaporerestaurants.com/ and another one http://www-singapore.com/food-dining/

There is a McDonald's in the mall next to the Intercontinental and of course the Coffee shop in the hotel will be open for a snack.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

BassettMom,

I love your name, is it because you have a Bassett Hound? We had one when we were first married and it was our baby.

We haven't stayed at the Swissotel in Singapore, but have stayed at the one in Quito which was excellent though we have eaten at their best restaurant up on one of the top floors. It is very expensive (think around $300-$400 per person) and we didn't think it was worth it. It was a degustation menu with wines to match.

Jennie

BassettMom,

I love your name, is it because you have a Bassett Hound? We had one when we were first married and it was our baby.

We haven't stayed at the Swissotel in Singapore, but have stayed at the one in Quito which was excellent though we have eaten at their best restaurant up on one of the top floors. It is very expensive (think around $300-$400 per person) and we didn't think it was worth it. It was a degustation menu with wines to match.

Jennie

Yes, Aussie Gal--I have two basset hounds, Daisey Mae and Fred, and they are my babies.

Wow! $300-400 per person for dinner is really expensive. Definitely won't be eating at that restaurant! :eek:

BassettMom,

Our Bassett was Humphrey and he lived until he was 13 years. When our children came along, he was wonderful with them. They could do anything with him. We had him buried at our pet's cemetary with a little plaque! He was our first baby and we did love him.

There are other restaurants that you can eat out at the Swissotel and they are quite reasonably priced. It is in a great position, right near the MTR, opposite Raffles and next to a huge shopping centre which leads underground to many more. You couldn't get a hotel in a better position in Singapore.

Jennie

We stayed at the Ibis Bencoolen. Very reasonable and central.

We are booked there for 3 nights precruise in April. Any quirks we should know

about? Did you go for their prepaid breakfast or find your own in the area?

Also hpoing they will be helpful with transportation ideas to the zoo, etc.

We are booked there for 3 nights precruise in April. Any quirks we should know

about? Did you go for their prepaid breakfast or find your own in the area?

Also hpoing they will be helpful with transportation ideas to the zoo, etc.

Didn't do the breakfast there since we stayed only one night and had an early flight. But did do dinner there in the evening and was quite good and reasonable. There is a concierge desk in the lobby that was very helpful with directions and taxi info. We did the Night Safari at the Zoo but not the main zoo because of time constraints. Taxied back and forth.

The Ibis is fairly new and has a very modern nouveau decor. Like all Ibis hotels the rooms are basic but very functional. There was a kitchenette which we didn't use. Under $150USD is a good deal in Singapore.

There are other restaurants that you can eat out at the Swissotel and they are quite reasonably priced. It is in a great position, right near the MTR, opposite Raffles and next to a huge shopping centre which leads underground to many more. You couldn't get a hotel in a better position in Singapore.Jennie

It's nice to know the Swissotel is in a nice location. We are only staying there one night pre-cruise and the price wasn't too bad considering it included transfers from the airport to hotel, then from hotel to ship.

Archived