Can this be done?

hospsafe

I consider myself a professional business traveler. Last year I visited airports over the course of 35 weeks and I have been on 6 cruises.

That being said, I have 2 questions. Ladies, do you think you can do an 8 day cruise by packing just 2 carry on's? (including dresses for formal night.) Men, do you think it can be done? I think it's easier for a man to do it but it still would be tough. This is also going on the assumption that I have no intention of doing laundry while on board.

Any thoughts?

all of my 7 cruises have been done with just 1 carry-on. where are you going ?? that will let us know what clothing you will be taking. and how formal do you get?? if you have been too that many airports in such a short amount of time im guessing you know how too pack already for traveling. can i ask why you care what the men think. actually they usually dont touch or give advice on the womans bags ( it's safer that way ;) ).

Several times we have taken 1 carryon each, plus a garment bag for the evening wear. On the last 2 cruises I have taken a slightly larger bag and checked it. I'm tired of messing with the carryon. The zoo on the plane is worse than picking up luggage from the carousel, and I don't have to drag it around. Besides, then I have room for an extra sun hat and the stuff I buy on the cruise. :rolleyes: Don't think I'd check my bag if we didn't have a direct flight though.

Funny... my husband and I had this debate this last week when we were looking at going on the Victory next year. We never have to fly to get to a port so of course... puerto rico=fly.

DH says he could do it... no problem... as long as he had an iron. There is NO WAY I would do that. I NEED my big suitcase... no way...

My only problem with carry-on only is the liquids. Id much prefer to bring my own shampoo, sunscreen and other assorted grooming products which add up to more than what the TSA will allow me. Therefore, I have to check a bag.

My only problem with carry-on only is the liquids. Id much prefer to bring my own shampoo, sunscreen and other assorted grooming products which add up to more than what the TSA will allow me. Therefore, I have to check a bag.

I agree. Have to have my extras so I have a checked bag. We always fly in the day before in case there is a problem with luggage.

DH could get by with carryon

I consider myself a professional business traveler. Last year I visited airports over the course of 35 weeks and I have been on 6 cruises.

That being said, I have 2 questions. Ladies, do you think you can do an 8 day cruise by packing just 2 carry on's? (including dresses for formal night.) Men, do you think it can be done? I think it's easier for a man to do it but it still would be tough. This is also going on the assumption that I have no intention of doing laundry while on board.

Any thoughts?

Make sure you bring plenty of underwear, plenty of deoderant and 7 swimsuits:D

I forgot to mention this for a 8 day cruise on the Freedom. Why did I ask about men, because this will be my BIL's first cruise and he is determined that family will not check any bags. He too is a professional traveler. I just have my doubts doing it on a 8 day cruise without doing laundry.

summer wear would be easier to pack- shorts & tees take up less room. Women's dresses in jersey- doesn't crush-- take lots of accessories with one dress, takes you through several Elegant nights. Ipods take up less room than CD players.

I forgot to mention this for a 8 day cruise on the Freedom. Why did I ask about men, because this will be my BIL's first cruise and he is determined that family will not check any bags. He too is a professional traveler. I just have my doubts doing it on a 8 day cruise without doing laundry.

I don't think that I am going to be able to do it with only carry on. But I am going to to try 2 people with 1 suitcase. But I am planning on having them do my laundry half way through the week. For $15 it is worth it for me. And cheaper than checking a bag.

Any thoughts?

a family cruise is so much fun. you have traveled so much more than i . can you tell me which is the best packing method for you. rolling, bundling or is there a different way that you use. i am always looking for better ways too pack. thanks

For me its a combination of styles. The suit goes in first so that it wrap itself around everything else. Khaki's lay lengthwise of the suitcase. Alternating each end. Socks go in my shoes. shirts folded next on top of dockers/suit. Shorts and casual t-shirts next. I roll my underwear and t-shirts and stuff around the edges. Then wrap the dockers and suit around the pile that has been built in the middle of the suitcase. BTW...the suit is in a dry cleaners bag or trash bag. The same with the khaki's. I take one white shirt for the suit with 2 ties. One white shirt for the suit. One swim suit. 3-4 pairs of khaki shorts. 1 gym short. 4-6 casual shirts that can be worn with khaki pants or shorts.

All 3 of us get two carry on bags only! 2 females and 1 male. One thing we do is cut down on shoes. One pair of black sandles make dinners, One pair of flip flops for pool and around the ship, one pair of shoes to wear into town and the beach. One pair of slinkey type pants for elegant night with two different shirts. I use the same necklace most nights. I don't take rings and use the same earrings too. As you see dressing up for a cruise is not a requirement for us. Polo shirts and shorts or bathingsuit is reguired each day. This time we do have to check one bag at $25 for our drinks that we can bring on ship- we are flying the red-eye so I can not stop to buy them. It is cheeper to fly it than to ask the taxi to stop for drinks! This box of goodies does not fly home with us. So for $25 to have all the drinks we can carry into the ship for 3 is much cheeper than to buy them on the ship.

We do not bring all of the clothes that we would wear during a week at home. We also change the pants nad tops around to get more night out of them. If needed I do bring quarters, some laundry soap and dryer sheets to use. One cruise was out of them when red wine got onto my white pants.

So yes you can cruise with 2 carry-ones for a 8 day cruise.

Enjoy

If the charge at the airport is an issue I have used luggage shipping services. When I travel with my DW and DD they always take what seems to be everything in there closets so I pack my bag a few days ahead of time and send it to a Hotel we are staying at or directly to the Cruise line Terminal from Chicago to most Florida location a 50 lbs bag cost me $19.00 to $38.00 each way and I have it picked up at my office and then have it delivered back to my Home, that second bag costs usually twice that at the airport and I don't have to lug it around.

For me its a combination of styles. The suit goes in first so that it wrap itself around everything else. Khaki's lay lengthwise of the suitcase. Alternating each end. Socks go in my shoes. shirts folded next on top of dockers/suit. Shorts and casual t-shirts next. I roll my underwear and t-shirts and stuff around the edges. Then wrap the dockers and suit around the pile that has been built in the middle of the suitcase. BTW...the suit is in a dry cleaners bag or trash bag. The same with the khaki's. I take one white shirt for the suit with 2 ties. One white shirt for the suit. One swim suit. 3-4 pairs of khaki shorts. 1 gym short. 4-6 casual shirts that can be worn with khaki pants or shorts.

great packing method. i will remember it.

Agreed! Just what an OCD packer like me needs!

I did it! Even though we don't leave two weeks, I packed my stuff today. One roller board suitcase and one over-night bag I picked up in Vegas. Here is my final list:

2 shirts and 2 pairs of khaki paints for dinners. (non-formal nights) in roller board

3 pairs of khaki shorts in roller board

4 shirts for khaki shorts in roller board

2 bathing suits -

3 t-shirts to wear with gym shorts and bathing suits.

1 gym shorts

2 white t-shirts for suit in roller board

1 suit - in roller board

2 ties

1 white collared shirt for suit

1 pair of black socks

2 pairs of white socks

8 pairs boxer briefs

1 pair dress shoes in roller board

If it doesn't say "roller board" it is going in my over night bag. I rolled the clothing in that bag.

Archived