Century vs Star Princess

Bobed1927

We are planning a cruise to Hawaii next year and are debating between Celebrity Century and Star Princess. We like the smaller size of the Century but are concerned about reports that the Century is getting rundown and lacks features of larger ships. For instance, does Century have cocktail hour for Elite guests as Constellation? Opinions please.

We are planning a cruise to Hawaii next year and are debating between Celebrity Century and Star Princess. We like the smaller size of the Century but are concerned about reports that the Century is getting rundown and lacks features of larger ships. For instance, does Century have cocktail hour for Elite guests as Constellation? Opinions please.

Every ship in the fleet offers the Cocktail Hour for Elite Guests.

Oldest ship and newest ship~the Elite Perks are the same on all

the ships:)

As for Century, if you do a search you will find quite a few threads

with varying opinons. I sailed her in May for the 6th time and loved

my cruise:D Others say she is looking old. My view is I had marvelous

time, good food, good service, wonderful itinerary....all good for me.:)

I would have even sailed her to Alaska this summer but prices were

out of my range. So it was not the ship that prevented me from sailing

her again.

I am sure others will tell you differently. You know what they say

about opinions;)

Have been on the Century three times. It has got better every time. Had the best cruise director, Sue Denning, on the last one. When she is home, she only lives about 40 miles from us in England. She even did her own show which lasted over an hour. Never seen this before.

Yes it does offer a cocktail hour for Elite guests.

Woild like the Century to come back to Europe or the Caribbean.

We have been on both ships recently, and prefer the smaller size of the Century as well. It's an elegant ship, and you still feel like you are on a ship rather than a floating resort.

The Star had a nice glassed in sanctuary mid ship which we used on rough sea days even though it was crowded with chairs covered with books and sunglasses.;)

We like to dine at tables for two. We were delighted that this request was granted on the Century and we really enjoyed all our meals as well as the excellent service by our team of waiters. We had anytime dining on the Star, and getting a table for two was possible if you didn't mind a long wait.

For it's large size, the Star's buffet is rather inadequate we thought. One line cafeteria style for the entrees, and directly across was one station for salad, and one for dessert with the same setup both starboard and port. I remember a pizza station near the pool, and there's a grill for hamburgers, etc. But, that was about it.

The Century buffet was lovely with many stations for various types of entrees, including stir fry, a grill for paninis, a pasta station, Indonesian or Indian food, a carving station, a station for comfort foods like meat loaf and mashed potatoes,a station for pizza and calzones, and so on. Breakfast was just as nice with many stations for made to order omelets so there weren't long lines. My favorite was the made to order eggs benedict station all the way aft.

The Century also boasts the Aqua Spa cafe which is not to be missed. It's like a specialty restaurant that serves healthy choices of food but unlike the specialty restaurant genre, it's complementary to passengers.

The Century has a Martini Bar. This was our favorite place to hang out in the evening, and we made some great new friends there. The bartenders put on quite a show!

Regarding the condition of the Century: We did not notice any wear and tear in the public areas of the Century. It is really a beautiful ship, and the crew works hard keeping it shining.

We loved our stateroom on the Century (C1 category) and have no complaint with the condition of the soft goods or the bed which was very soft, unlike the Star which needed egg crates added for our comfort. This is just because we like the pillow top mattress feel. If you like a very firm mattress, you will like the Princess beds.

We did have a couple of things in our Century stateroom that needed to be repaired by the maintenance department. They responded promptly, fixed them, and the rest of the week was fine.

We are going to be back on the Century this November and are really looking forward to this cruise.

If we had to choose between the Century and the Star for the same itinerary, we would hands down choose the Century, even if we had to pay more money.

We hope that Celebrity keeps the Century in its fleet. It's a classic ship with elegant lines that could be marketed like a "boutique" hotel. You don't have to be easy to please to like this ship.

Enjoy your cruise whichever you decide!

I appreciate this thread.

I, too, am a bit confused by the wide swing in ratings for Century. It's nice to hear that she is not so "worn out" and "aged" as some of the reviews seem to project.

We like smaller ships. Rhapsody of the Seas is probably our favorite of the RCI ships. She, too, is small and not very young, but for a long voyage, like the 15 day one we are taking on Century, I don't think you can beat a smaller ship for intimacy.

I am much more in favor of elegance than I am of glitz and glitter. One of the reasons I chose to do this trip with Celebrity and not Carnival.

I appreciate this thread.

I, too, am a bit confused by the wide swing in ratings for Century. It's nice to hear that she is not so "worn out" and "aged" as some of the reviews seem to project.

We like smaller ships. Rhapsody of the Seas is probably our favorite of the RCI ships. She, too, is small and not very young, but for a long voyage, like the 15 day one we are taking on Century, I don't think you can beat a smaller ship for intimacy.

I am much more in favor of elegance than I am of glitz and glitter. One of the reasons I chose to do this trip with Celebrity and not Carnival.

Hi Kellie:) the confusion? Just think of it as each person having

a differing opinon. I also love the smaller size of Century but I also

sail M and S class ships.

As for the wide swing in ratings? I learned a long time ago it happens

alot. You will find 2 people on the same cruise but they have totally

different experiences. I guess you have take them and throw out the

best and the worst and find a middle ground.

It is like, the ship was not worn and old to me. But if someone else

thinks she is? Disputing someone else's opinion won't change how

they feel.

I didn't write a review when I returned home in May but I read postings

from CCrs who sailed before and after me who had different opinons

than I did.......Oh well. (just trying to play devil's advocate a bit).

I have never sailed Princess so I cannot give a comparison but I know

I would go back on Century in a heartbeat:)she was my first Celebrity

ship.

Every ship in the fleet offers the Cocktail Hour for Elite Guests.

Oldest ship and newest ship~the Elite Perks are the same on all

the ships:)

As for Century, if you do a search you will find quite a few threads

with varying opinons. I sailed her in May for the 6th time and loved

my cruise:D Others say she is looking old. My view is I had marvelous

time, good food, good service, wonderful itinerary....all good for me.:)

I would have even sailed her to Alaska this summer but prices were

out of my range. So it was not the ship that prevented me from sailing

her again.

I am sure others will tell you differently. You know what they say

about opinions;)

I agree with Lois. We were on the May coastal and loved the ship, the food and the crew. Our only beef was the size of the elevators. Too small to accommodate more than one wheelchair at a time.

I was on Century for the first time last May for my 50th birthday. She was beautiful and we had a wonderful time; the Elite perks were great. She is a beautiful ship. I have since sailed on the Solstice class ships and, of course, WOW, but Century was every bit the elegant lady and I'd sail her again in a heartbeat.

Greets All;

I have not been on Century will be on her for the March 2012 AU - HI sailing 17 nights. First off I am a travel agent. I hear comments from so many customers both pro and con on every single ship. As stated below by several 2 people 2 views same ship same dates. How about some dinner same time same date same ship one loved the food the other had the exact same dish hated it.

The reality is if you arrive on a ship with certain expectations they shade your view. If you come on the ship with a open mind and zero exceptions other then I will enjoy this cruise and what ever happens happens you are much less looking at the negatives.

A quick personal travel story in 2010 I took a Asia cruise on Costa Classica the oldest and smallest ship in the fleet. I read all the reviews online very mixed bag plus the fact it was Italian service and food and I as an American was the smallest percentage of passengers. I found things on board that were not stupendous but non that were non tolerable. Every experience you learn from both good and bad. Basically no cruise ship main line companies are going to be so bad it is intolerable. If this were so no one would be on the ship or cruise line and they would ether make changes or retire the ship. Simply the way business is run.

There are less and less older ships from Centuries era even with great upkeep and modernization one can only do so much to them to spruce them up the older ships do not have the facilities of the newer ships post 2001 which brought ships into a new generation of design. Some of us are more attuned to the concept of the more traditional cruise / cruise ship experience of pre 2001. The whole management style and approach changes with the post 2001 cruise ships they need to do so to manage the bigger ship / as I call it the big ship experience fact of life operational and corporate philosophy had to change = Big Box Retail experience mentality. If one wants more then this one pays a premium for the boutique or more deluxe with all the trimmings cruise experience.

I am a smaller ship fan as well but as a solo traveler the cost of small ship experiences can get costly with single supplements.

Eventually even Century will be sold off / retired as more newer ships are added to the fleet. Hear say is a couple more years maybe for Century. My advise is enjoy her while you can because less and less of the older small ship experiences will be available unless you pay a premium for it.

Talk about spoiling ones self cruise wise small ship took also in 2010 Star Clipper 130 on board sailing ship 13 nights Spain - St Maarten was outstanding experience = open minded.

Smooth sailings,

HSB5956

I think that you often get this on older ships. There is a loyal clientelle who just seem to go on loving them more and more whereas newcomers just see them as worn out.

Last Fall we got off an Eclipse TA and immediately boarded Century for a short Caribbean cruise. It was our first time on Century, so we could not be described as loyal clientele. We were not sure how we would like the older ship, so we wanted to try it before booking for Australia. I would describe the condition of the ship as 'lived in' rather than run down. The decor and furnishings are not new and glitzy, but are well maintained and clean. The crew were the most friendly and helpful people we have encountered on any ship. We booked for Australia with no hesitation. Unfortunately family circumstances changed, and we won't be able to take the trip until until the following year, so it will be Solstice for us, but we wouldn't hesitate to sail on Century again.

Sheila

Archived