I need a fashion consultation.....

I think the only color you're going to find that will really work well with that dress would be a "just right" shade of red. Not too orange, not too blue, but just right.

I think anything turquoise or green will fight with the silver in the dress. JMO.

I agree with ireneadler - what you wear depends very much on your coloring and hair color. If you are a blonde or light gray, you need some color. If you are a brunette or darker, you could get away and look lovely in the light organza one. If you don't want to drama it up with a pin, you can pin it with safety pins on the inside so it stays on, but looks like you are just wrapping it around your arms. For my daughter's wedding, I had a similar situation and bought a silk scarf that went over my shoulders, then in front of my arms and behind my back and was tied in a tiny knot there. You would need to measure to make sure you got the right size scarf. She was getting married in a church where I didn't want bare arms showing.

I also like the paisley pashmina look, but the dress may not need that much oomph. Enjoy and feel beautiful!

I also like the paisley pashmina look, but the dress may not need that much oomph. Enjoy and feel beautiful!

In my opinion that dress is patterned and multi-colored due to the multiple strands of different colors. Even though it might look "solid," when it comes down to it, it's "striped." Adding something patterned would be like adding a striped shirt to a floral skirt--generally not a good look.

The dress has a lot going on already, in my opinion it could easily go from elegant to over-the-top-what-was-she-thinking if you try to add a color or pattern--or even a bunch of jewelry. It's like adding a necklace to a busy collar--it doesn't help, it detracts.

If you can't pull this dress off on it's own due to the color, it's probably not the right dress for you to begin with.

I'd go with the wrap I suggested, understated earrings, maybe a bracelet, nude shoes or sandals, and that's it. That will be an elegant look. Adding a bunch of other color or accessories is going to take away from the dress and make the entire outfit look overdone.

I have a wrap very similar to the one I posted and it looks great with gold and silver. I think the whole problem is trying to wear something that is a solid color and a patterned one would be a better choice.

Ducklite, I guess we can agree to disagree but the pattern is subtle and I don't see how it would look like a stripped shirt with a floral skirt and I can't see red with it at all.;)

Liv4cruzin, I too have wondered where Jane110 has been since she hasn't posted in eons. I noticed she posted on a couple of threads the other night and I asked her where she's been but there was no response.:(

My arms are heavy, also, but I find a draped wrap or shawl works better than a jacket/bolero with sleeves.

Somehow the short or mid-length sleeves just emphasis the size of my arms, especially if the sleeves are at all tight. Sometimes sleeveless, even with heavy arms, looks more slim and svelte than cutting across them visually.

Well ladies (I assume you are all ladies), I can't thank you enough for taking the time to debate this 'issue'. You've given me great ideas to play with. Hopefully, I will recognize the perfect solution when I stumble upon it.

the wrap that ducklite posted is very pretty but imo, i would go with something to give the outfit a liitle more oomph rather than be so much the same color. There are lots of choices on ebay like this.:) they are also very cheap like $8.99 and $3.49 for shipping.

$(kgrhqiokpke26l3rhnqbn6yqki5m!~~_12.gif

like! :)

Like you I am plus size and I often worry about covering my arms. Why not take the dress with you to a fabric store? They have a lot of sheer material that you could try and match the dress to or choose something that has some color and see how you think it looks together. I might would choose a black sheer shawl paired with a strappy black sandal and some understated black jewelry (bracelet and earrings).

Like you I am plus size and I often worry about covering my arms. Why not take the dress with you to a fabric store? They have a lot of sheer material that you could try and match the dress to or choose something that has some color and see how you think it looks together. I might would choose a black sheer shawl paired with a strappy black sandal and some understated black jewelry (bracelet and earrings).

A seamstress can be a life saver! Buy the amount of material you need, not limit yourself to 72"! You could add fringe, beading or sequins if you like. The purpose should be to enhance the dress and draw attention away from your arms. (I hate my arms too.)

Deanswife & Jan,

Thank you both for your input. I did take the dress to JoAnn's fabric & found nothing. At that time I was focusing on something gold-ish or silver-ish. I should make another trip though & broaden the scope of colors. And I do have a wonderful neighbor/friend who is an excellent seamstress. She will be my 'go to' person if I don't find something ready made.

I wear around a 26 but not so concerned with the arms (LOL) The 60 inch will be fine unless you are planning to wrap it all the way around your bust! I received several shear wraps from a cousin who live in NYC which she got for $5. a piece & they are quite big enough to go around my shoulders. The first one is good but like 1 lady said I would go for another solid color that compliments your skin tone. On my next cruise one of the formal nights I am wearing a pale purple or like a mauve color dress with a silver wrap and silver jewelry & bag. You are not that big --- go and enjoy your dress!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

If you are fair, try using Jergens Natural Glow. A tanned arm will be less noticeable. I'm glow in the dark white, so Jergens is my friend. I too have large arms, but I do wear sleeveless. Attitude is important, own that beautiful dress. Don't cover it up if you are comfortable in it. A beautiful smile is the most important accessory.

very nice dress. I will say from looking at it looks champagne color to me. And most people will not be close enough to really se the pattern. I would go for that ivory organza shall or even a gold organza shall. If it were me I would do a great pair of gold shoes and a gold shall.

• 3 weeks later...
was found on e-bay. I hope it looks as good in person. Again, thanks to everyone who continues to e-mail me w/ suggestions. Hopefully, the search is over.

Love the shall. It looks nice and fun. I bet that would go great with a few other things as well. And if you go places for the holiday, you can wear that as well. I have a black basic shall I use for a wrap, a sash, a scarf. I have also used it as a beach cover up..

I know everyone probably knows these two site but my favorite online sites are:

http://www.Onestopplus.com

http://www.simplybe.com/

both are plus size. I think Simply Be is new to the USA, and the catalog I received in the mail is great.

The spot I order bathing suits is...

http://www.alwaysforme.com

I had learned about Simply Be about a year ago; & was anxiously awaiting it's arrival to the U.S. I've only ordered one thing so far. But that first catalog they put out was very impressive. We've come a long way since the days of Catherine's & the old Lane Bryant.

I would think a peach color would spice up this dress. Have you looked at fabric.com ? They are a great company to deal with and have much better prices than the brick and motar stores. If you don't like peach how about a navy and white combination of some sort? I love navy, tan and white together.

I like metallics because they are so versatile. You can assort jewelry with them and use them with different outfits. How about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Lightweight-Metallic-Evening-Shawl/dp/B001EOINXC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EOFC86/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000EE54TY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GGESEZEX5MK92DE921B

You can do either silver or gold just depending on your accessories, or for the price, get both. I think I may buy the silver one, mine is old and can use replacing.

Su,

I had seen both of those metallic shawls at Amazon. From a distance they looked very promising. But the close up showing the open 'fish-net' weave turned me off. IMO, I was afraid it would take a semi-formal cocktail dress down a notch. I could be very wrong. According to the UPSP tracking #, my shawl should arrive tomorrow or Thur. I'll let y'all know how it looks.

Joanne, I had not even thought of peach. That might have worked. And if the gold beaded shawl doesn't work out, I'll give that further consideration. Thanks.

I really like both the organza and the metallic. I know what you mean about not feeling comfortable about the arms. I'm the same way. I have used a pashmina wrap with my evening gown as well. The one thing that I think would go well with either of the wraps is possibly using a body shimmer powder. Just a hint around your décolletage and mabe a little on your sholders would really set it off. :D I know you are going to look splendid. Beth

The shawl arrived today; & I love it. Very good quality; & it will work w/ several other dressy options. I need to poll my local friends because the gold is much brighter & 'orangier' (yes, I realize it's not a word, but it makes a point) than the gold threads in the dress. I may be overthinking this; but I won't know until I get more opinions. But I did want to let y'all know that I'm very pleased w/ my purchase. BTW, it was shipped from a seller called 'Jewelry-Nouveau'. If all their merchandise is as top quality as this shawl, I would be confident in ordering from them again. Thanks again for all y'alls input.

Archived