I need a fashion consultation.....

If I may pick your brain about this cocktail style dress? I got this dress half price; & it's so light weight & cool. It will pack like a dream. I've never been comfortable w/ MY bare arms; but I don't want to return this dress.

I've done exhaustive searches online & shopped locally for something like a shrug, bolero or shawl. I've even been to the fabric stores hoping to find something to make a wrap/stole out of. I just can't home in on what color would work best....gold, silver or bring in some third color (that would be appropriate)? Would you tell me what color YOU would wear over it to cover your arms??? I REALLY would appreciate your input.

My photos may not show you the fine details of the dress. For that you must click on the catalog link below to see it (scroll your mouse over the photo to enlarge it). I can't seem to adjust the color correctly. Far away it looks a little more gold than silver (but not brassy gold as in my large photo). In the close up photo, it appears to have almost equal amounts of silver & gold metallic threads.

http://catherines.lanebryant.com/dresses-skirts/evening-dresses/golden-glow-dress/4559c4562p107801/index.pro?Mcatn=Evening+Dresses&Mcatpn=Dresses+%26+Skirts&Mcatg=category_root&Mcatp=cat_4559%405000&Mcat=4562%405000

The photos on their website look more realistic.

144544056_Catalogphoto.jpg.2308222c710170cad1e60eb75dfd1d5c.jpg

2018633591_Farawaylooksmoregold.jpg.fd4aee7e836f35e7c69838ba27d0320e.jpg

65970037_Looksgoldsilvercloseup.jpg.93398fc8dd181bfe19173b9f49586689.jpg

If I may pick your brain about this cocktail style dress? I got this dress half price; & it's so light weight & cool. It will pack like a dream. I've never been comfortable w/ MY bare arms; but I don't want to return this dress.

I've done exhaustive searches online & shopped locally for something like a shrug, bolero or shawl. I've even been to the fabric stores hoping to find something to make a wrap/stole out of. I just can't home in on what color would work best....gold, silver or bring in some third color (that would be appropriate)? Would you tell me what color YOU would wear over it to cover your arms??? I REALLY would appreciate your input.

My photos may not show you the fine details of the dress. For that you must click on the catalog link below to see it (scroll your mouse over the photo to enlarge it). I can't seem to adjust the color correctly. Far away it looks a little more gold than silver (but not brassy gold as in my large photo). In the close up photo, it appears to have almost equal amounts of silver & gold metallic threads.

http://catherines.lanebryant.com/dresses-skirts/evening-dresses/golden-glow-dress/4559c4562p107801/index.pro?Mcatn=Evening+Dresses&Mcatpn=Dresses+%26+Skirts&Mcatg=category_root&Mcatp=cat_4559%405000&Mcat=4562%405000

The photos on their website look more realistic.

Love, love, love the dress....and I think the wrap is a perfect choice.

I'm sorry, I did forget one very important piece of information. I'm a plus size; bordering on a 2-3x in some cases. So, the 72" length isn't really long enough. Oh, how I wish it was.

Thanks. Hopefully someone will find a website that I've missed.

While you might not be able to tie it like shown in the photo, I would think it would be enough to wrap around you and drape over your shoulders covering your arms.

Agree, you don't have to tie it. Just drape it over your shoulders like Ducklite says.

Could you do something like this

http://www.coolibar.com/07508.html?source=shopzilla

but positioned over both shoulders?

You could use a dramatic pin to hold it in place.

Hi Sadie, those colors are beautiful:) but none would go with the

dress. Or was that just as an example?

With that tiered dress... I love that color, but it's hard to mix it well with paler complexions (which I assume is your case), because you can look washed-out easily. Some people try to correct washed-out with more make-up, but that just make the imperfections in their faces stand out (thus making them look older). So the things is to brighten everything up with strong colors.

if your coloring goes with cool colors, I'd say teal (solid) or cobalt (sheer).

If you look good in warm colors, go with carmim, auburn, dark scarlet, preferably sheer and not too large.

Good luck. :) One of these days I'll post a pic of the dress I intend to wear for formal night and ask for opinions, because even though I love it, it may not be for night.

The wrap that Ducklite posted is very pretty but IMO, I would go with something to give the outfit a liitle more oomph rather than be so much the same color. There are lots of choices on ebay like this.:) They are also very cheap like $8.99 and $3.49 for shipping.

$(KGrHqIOKpkE26L3RhNqBN6YQkI5M!~~_12.GIF

72" is 6 feet--are you sure that isn't long enough?

I was basing the desired length on my bust measurement (52" at the fullest part) plus extra to go over my arms. Well, duh......I was thinking about it going all around the bustline & these fat arms!

I did just take out the tape measure (which is 60"); & realize that it does go across my back, lays across the bent elbow & hangs down about 8" on each side. So, you are all correct that 70" should be plenty long enough. So, now I don't feel so limited.

With that tiered dress... I love that color, but it's hard to mix it well with paler complexions (which I assume is your case), because you can look washed-out easily. Some people try to correct washed-out with more make-up, but that just make the imperfections in their faces stand out (thus making them look older). So the things is to brighten everything up with strong colors.

if your coloring goes with cool colors, I'd say teal (solid) or cobalt (sheer).

If you look good in warm colors, go with carmim, auburn, dark scarlet, preferably sheer and not too large.

Good luck. :) One of these days I'll post a pic of the dress I intend to wear for formal night and ask for opinions, because even though I love it, it may not be for night.

I have 'frosted' mousy brown short hair. Since I discovered mineral makeup, I stay true to my skin color. Very conservative w/ the rest of my makeup. I lean more toward cooler colors; & like the idea of teal or blues. I've never been one to shy away from mixing colors; but for some reason finding a third color that would compliment gold & silver just had me freaking out. So, I REALLY DO APPRECIATE your thoughts on these colors.

BTW, where is Jane? She's always been our resident fashionista.

The wrap that Ducklite posted is very pretty but IMO, I would go with something to give the outfit a liitle more oomph rather than be so much the same color. There are lots of choices on ebay like this.:) They are also very cheap like $8.99 and $3.49 for shipping.

$(KGrHqIOKpkE26L3RhNqBN6YQkI5M!~~_12.GIF

I love the color; & the gold threads would complement the dress nicely. I would never have thought of blue. I'm so excited. I'm going to ebay right now.

Thanks y'all

I'd really prefer a shrug or a bolero over a shawl (because I could keep it on & not have to mess w/ it while I'm sitting). I do like the idea of using something in a shade of blue. Is this turq. shawl too dark? Does anyone want to comment on these choices? I already own the red sequin bolero.

1156756712_Redsequinbolero.jpg.b0e896de581cd20f6b0546bb290e34df.jpg

1683182020_teallaceshrug.jpg.4c958df418f406e49d6f4c3a13dd451c.jpg

1309076649_turqshawl.jpg.e33d15c24dcfcc70ce840a19bbb445f8.jpg

I'd really prefer a shrug or a bolero over a shawl (because I could keep it on & not have to mess w/ it while I'm sitting). I do like the idea of using something in a shade of blue. Is this turq. shawl too dark? Does anyone want to comment on these choices? I already own the red sequin bolero.

Hi Becky,:) good morning, personally I think the Turq one is a bit too

dark. But maybe you would have to put it on with the dress to see

if works;)

Archived