Sorrento: worst case scenario; need advice!

jeanniedc

We are planning a DIY excursion to Sorrento when we dock in Naples next month. Docking time 7 AM - 6:30 PM. We plan to take the hydrofoil both ways.

Call me a worrier, but...what are the odds that the 4:20 PM hydrofoil would be cancelled on any given day in August? I dread the notion of missing the boat, of course! I know about the train back to Naples. What about a taxi? Will it be easy to find one and approximately how much should that cost?

Has this scenario ever happened to anyone? I'm a planner, so like to think about all possibilities!

Thanks very much!

If you are terribly worried, you could also plan a shorter day in Sorrento, returning earlier to Naples to see the Archaeological Museum, shop or eat pizza. That way you finish your afternoon closer to the ship in case of problems.

There is a big difference between being a "worrier" vs being a planner who has a "Plan B." For those that always worry when on their own we simply tell them to take a tour. On the other hand, if you are in in Sorrento and need to get back to Naples there are trains every 30 min (cheaper then a hydrofoil). A taxi from Sorrento to Livorno would be somewhat negotiable and would cost approximately 85 - 100 Euros. That being said, we consider Sorento to be one of our least favorite options from Naples. Keep in mind that many of the shops in Sorrento do close during the afternoon.

Hank

I went to Amalfi one time in late August and all of the ferries back to Naples were cancelled due to rough seas. The group I was with made a mad dash for the ticket office for the bus and we were able to get the last seats on the bus headed back to Naples. The cancellations don't happen often, but you may want to have a back up plan "just in case."

Keep in mind that many of the shops in Sorrento do close during the afternoon.

Hank

Echo Hank's advice...if you are interested in any shopping in Sorrento, do that as soon as you arrive there as the majority of the shops close for most of the afternoon...

I am trying to find options in Sorrento if we aren't ready to go back to the ship after a Pompeii tour... we will have free time 1:45-4p (ship sails at 5p). I'm thinking a snack, try a Limoncello and enjoy a slow afternoon. Do the restaurants close too?

I am trying to find options in Sorrento if we aren't ready to go back to the ship after a Pompeii tour... we will have free time 1:45-4p (ship sails at 5p). I'm thinking a snack, try a Limoncello and enjoy a slow afternoon. Do the restaurants close too?

Most of the cafes (and many restaurants) are open during the early afternoon. The reality of travel in Italy (and some other countries such as Spain and Portugal) is that many shops close for several hours in the afternoon (often from about 1 until 4) so that the owners and employees can enjoy their lunch (many of us still like calling it the Siesta). This is actually the perfect time to enjoy a nice long lunch in a well-located cafe (outdoors is great in good weather). As to Lemoncello, my wife loves this stuff and says the best she ever had was in a small Lemoncello factory located in the picturesque town of Ravello. Every cafe/restaurant in the region serves Lemoncello but the really interesting stuff is when they make it themselves.

Hank

To the original poster: have you considered spending the day in Capri instead of Sorrento? It is easy to reach from Naples and while Sorrento is nice the walkable part of town is rather small. By comparison Capri is magical.

Yes - you take the hydrofoil to Capri. It's about the same price and distance as Sorrento. Sorry I don't know the particulars. Once you get to Capri there are several places to go, all very easy, by tram, bus or cab - or even by small boat - the blue grotto. It's a truly fantastic place that you won't soon forget. (No reservations)

Archived