Sorry HAL...

piscesgal223

PiscesGal223, who has taken a grand total of two HAL cruises over the past 3 years, recently stunned the members of these boards by announcing she was leaving HAL for another cruise line! Real or perceived comments made on these boards regarding dress codes were given as the reason. Members of this Board were stunned by the news and implored her to reconsider. She now acknowledges that no one has ever commented to her directly about what she was wearing and she has agreed to reconsider her decision to leave HAL. OH HAPPY DAY! The crises is averted.

RonJoan

RonJoan, say it like it is!!

Now, I'm going to buy more CCL stock and HAL can order a new ship!!

@Babyher:No,I don't smoke:D..matter of fact,I had a bad reaction to cigar smoke recently. :eek:

@Iancal: I've met CC posters before and found them a very friendly group.

That is true of people we've encountered on our HAL cruises.We ran into a couple we met on our Mexican Riviera cruise when we got home.We knew that they lived in the same town so I didn't expect to run into them-it's a fairly good sized place -so imagine my surprise when my parents said they ran into them!

Impressions aside, the FACT remains that there is virtually NO posting traffic on these boards that advocates Black Tie and Tuxes as the sole or strongly preferred dress for HA-defined "Formal" nights. It is a bogey-man created by others and promoted by you and others as an "impression" and often falsely as a fact to discredit those of us who like the HA policy as written and would like to see it followed. ......

RonJoan

Let's not stop at only black tie for men nay-sayers, because the Anti-Formal Crowd still thinks female dress-up is corsets, whale-boning, crinoline, ruffles, hoop skirts under full length gowns in satin, velvet and/or taffeta. And a steamer trunk to carry it all. Prom night was over for a lot of us 50 years ago and I think that was the last time I wore all of the above ..... with dyed-to-match satin pumps with a glitter hand-bag. A dab of mom's White Shoulders and out the door, but back by curfew.

Seem like this thread turned into just what you were talking about. I'm with you on this. People should just worry about how they themselves are dressed. Let me worry about me.

And most of the people who are saying that they dress so much better then what they have found in the MDR, need to take a better look around. There will most certainly be others who could also take a look around and be dismayed at the very complainers.

When I go out and or am on a ship, I enjoy looking at all the fancy clothes, sometimes I am dressed better, sometimes I am dressed in a more casual manner. Who is any one to say that if I feel I am dressed in the spirit of "formal" night, that its not good enough. Really?

And I hope you have many cruises and fun cruises on what ever cruise line you choose. Remember, while its easy to post nasty grams here, if the people who post them would not be likely to say what they post to your or my face. Oh wait...my Mom would say then its rude to also post it. Better to be nice, as nice as one can be. Mom's motto

The comments directed towards non-formal dressers speak volumes about them, IMO. "If you don't want to dress up, go to the Lido or eat in your room". *handwave*. Wow.Does that come off harsh to anyone else?It does to me.

Granted, I dress up, but I certainly wouldn't be dismissive towards those who don't. You don't want to dress up and go to the Lido-great! Heck, I might even join y'all as a show of solidarity!

@Lorekauf: I was expressing my frustration with some of the opinions about dress code threads(of which there have been many) on the HAL boards. I hoped(and have been pleasantly surprised) that this thread would not go nuclear like the last dress code thread.

I'm not saying no more dress code threads;I'd prefer to them to be a source of information, not a bone of contention.That's asking a lot, I know.

I am seriously looking elsewhere.Even Carnival is looking attractive. Why?I can't take the stuffed shirt formal night enforcers anymore.

@Lorekauf: I was expressing my frustration with some of the opinions about dress code threads(of which there have been many) on the HAL boards. I hoped(and have been pleasantly surprised) that this thread would not go nuclear like the last dress code thread.

I'm not saying no more dress code threads;I'd prefer to them to be a source of information, not a bone of contention.That's asking a lot, I know.

Sorry, I just can't grasp the correlation between your first and last posts... An announcement to HAL that you are looking at Carnival somehow morphed into nothing more than a frustration with dress codes? I don't get it.

I was threatening to abandon HAL because I got sick of reading zillions of posts full of "*This* is what formal is..what you're talking about is NOT formal"(and it's *not* shorts and a polo shirt).

What''s to understand? It put me off of HAL. Reading tons of posts of that would put anyone off. Granted, I know that this attitude is not the way all HAL pax think, but it seems there are a lot of people who agree with me.

Anyways, I've said that I will be staying with HAL. I can ignore the narrow minds here since they are such a small percentage of posters here.

I like HAL. It's my favorite line. There has been times when I was turned off by HAL and took a break. There has been times when I've been totally turned off this board. Never once has this board turned me off cruising with HAL. That's why I'm having a problem with understanding this thread. Seems more like a stir the pot kinda thing to me.

No need to be super formal. I bring a jersey type dress,black, that I can roll up n suitcase and a nice pair of shoes and dress up with scarf or jewelry and that is fine. I like formal night because some of the passengers seem only to bring shorts and tee shirts and I like to be alittle more dressed for dinner in a nice place.

We aren't into the formal nights, so wore dressy casual to Canaletto or Lido on those nights. Never felt out of place around ship on formal nights even though many were dressed up. Out of respect for the dress code and tradition, wouldn't have gone to MDR those nights.

The comments directed towards non-formal dressers speak volumes about them, IMO. "If you don't want to dress up, go to the Lido or eat in your room". *handwave*. Wow.Does that come off harsh to anyone else?It does to me.

Granted, I dress up, but I certainly wouldn't be dismissive towards those who don't. You don't want to dress up and go to the Lido-great! Heck, I might even join y'all as a show of solidarity!

I'm confused are you saying that those who do not wish to dress according to the suggested dress code be still allowed to eat in the MDR? In which case then why even have a suggested dress code, let everyone in regardless of what they're wearing?

I really don't care what anyone dresses, the enforcement of the dress code should be between the passenger and dining room management. If they allow someone in not meeting the code then it is really not anyone else's business. If it bothers someone there is always the comment cards or they can write a letter to corporate. However if dining room management and/or corporate is not willing to enforce the dress code then don't bother having one.

I find it difficult to believe that the OP (or most adults on this board) do not know what "formal night" means. Have they never been to a wedding or any other formal occasion in their lives. One rule of thumb might be "how would I feel if someone showed up in this at my wedding. How would you feel if one showed up in jeans, t-shirt and baseball cap??

One does not have to wear floor length, or tux, but one should appear in suit or party dress.

If someone says 'formal' to us it always implies black tie/gown. Our next question would be to determine if this is so. Some people use formal and black tie in the same breath. We would interpret 'business dress' as suit/tie. Indeed, the 'formal wear' stores in our area sell and rent tuxes, not suits, for formal occasions. We prefer business casual-no tie, jacket optional.

Unless we had never been on a mass market line or read this board, we would absolutely NEVER assume that formal could also include sports coats/ties, for men or slacks and 'glittery tops' for women, let alone an afternoon dresses. Let's not fool ourselves, HAL's interpretation of formal is hardly formal. And those who keep yakking on about formal and insisting that they are the arbiter of what constitutes formal, are well, just a little full of themselves.

But anyone who reads this board for five seconds should understand that HAL's version, and the version of other mass market lines, of formal can be the smallest step up from business casual all the way up to, and including (but NOT necessarily) black tie.

If someone who reads this board for an extened period of time claims to be confused, then IMHO the person is just stirring the pot as it were. It is not rocket science.

By the way, we have attended weddings where the dress was most definately business casual/country club. There is a huge difference between being a guest at a wedding and being a customer on a cruise ship.

For those who don't seem to understand the concept, there is a mode of dress in between a suit/tie and shorts/tee shirt/baseball cap.

Archived