Sorry HAL...

piscesgal223

I am seriously looking elsewhere.Even Carnival is looking attractive. Why?I can't take the stuffed shirt formal night enforcers anymore.

Goodness sakes, no one should spend their vacation dollar being unhappy. Different floats for different folks. That's all. Happy travels.

Why on earth would you let the people on this board put you off HAL?

The busybody brigade may seem numerous on this board but once you are on the ship you will find that it is filled with wonderful, friendly people who mind their own business. Absolutely no hint of the narrow mindedness that sometimes comes across on the boards.

HAL has a good product and they have some great ships. I would keep many of their ships in the competive mix as you are evaluating cruises/ships/cruise lines.

I'm offended by people being offended.Yeah,I know,don't read the threads if you don't like them.But the dress code threads have,IMO gotten out of control.

It's not that I didn't like the classy experience of cruising on HAL(I did) but there are obviously pax who are, for lack of a better word, snobby when it comes to the dress code. So yeah,I'm going to go with another cruise line, as much as I don't want to give up cruising on HAL.

Can't you ignore the "snobs"? Don't let them put you off HAL as there are so many other really nice people aboard the ships.

After formal dinners I am one of the people that went back to my cabin and changed into jeans and runners-sorry everyone, but I hadn't been able to find "dress shoes" that fit my orthotics. I didn't notice anyone being snobby to me at all-the rest of my family stayed dressed up except me knowing I had to do this. Hoping to find dress shoes for upcoming cruise in September that will fit with orthotics, but if not, I will be changing again into jeans & runners.

I just did a quick scan of the other cruise lines topics and HAL is not the only line that has people commenting on dressing up for formal night.

Some people just need to focus on an aspect that concerns them. It's all about being judged or judging others based on outward appearance. So sad, since there are such other wonderful things to plan for a cruise.

@Seavoyage:A dressy top and skirt or a dress I wore to my cousin's wedding which is mostly silk.

Believe me, there was a consultation with my mom about what I should wear and I wore what I mentioned above(on her recomendation I might add!)

I just did a quick scan of the other cruise lines topics and HAL is not the only line that has people commenting on dressing up for formal night.

Some people just need to focus on an aspect that concerns them. It's all about being judged or judging others based on outward appearance. So sad, since there are such other wonderful things to plan for a cruise.

Try bringing up this topic on the Crystal Cruise board. :p Arrrgh, yewl git keel-hauled, matey.

I'm offended by people being offended.Yeah,I know,don't read the threads if you don't like them.But the dress code threads have,IMO gotten out of control.

It's not that I didn't like the classy experience of cruising on HAL(I did) but there are obviously pax who are, for lack of a better word, snobby when it comes to the dress code. So yeah,I'm going to go with another cruise line, as much as I don't want to give up cruising on HAL.

But you didn't encounter the snobby people onj the actual ship did you? Just here on these boards ?

Like many others have said , the remarks and attitudes you find here will not be found on board the actual ship. Most of the nastier remarks are made by people who love hiding behind a screen name and spouting off.

This is true on all the boards for all the cruise lines , not just HAL.

You just have to learn to ignore them

I realise that the dress code enforcing people are a small minority here.Unfortunately, they also seem to be a very vocal minority when it comes to discussion of that topic.

It doesn't matter. They are just opinions. You will never hear these opinions voiced aboard ship.

I realise that the dress code enforcing people are a small minority here.Unfortunately, they also seem to be a very vocal minority when it comes to discussion of that topic.

Yes but you won't hear them onboard the ship, only here. It's not HAL's fault. Stick with HAL and give up CC - after all, members on here are a tiny, tiny percentage of HAL cruisers.

@Seavoyage:A dressy top and skirt or a dress I wore to my cousin's wedding which is mostly silk.

Believe me, there was a consultation with my mom about what I should wear and I wore what I mentioned above(on her recomendation I might add!)

There is so much more to HAL than a suggested dress code. If you are happy with HAL, please don't give up on a whole cruiseline because of what you encounter here!

And what you describe above sounds lovely. :)

Go to YouTube, bring up some HAL cruise videos (I'm sure someone has uploaded something) and look at the background to see how people really dress on cruises. Some lines have live webcam feeds so if someone is standing in the shot you can check them out as well. But really, once you're on the ship you'll notice a lot of people enjoying themselves and not paying attention to you (and your clothes) at all. If you're nude, I'll notice you but that's about it :)

The dress was very pretty-blue and green-kind of like the water we kept seeing on our cruise(we were in the Caribbean)

Did someone here (CC) actually tell you that it was inappropriate? It sounds lovely to me!

You should not deprive yourself of the pleasure of cruising on HAL ships just because of the narrow-mindedness of some people who post on CC. Some people seem to enjoy telling others what they should and shouldn't do. It gives them a feeling of superiority (albeit a false one). Difficult as it is, ignore their comments and move on.

IMO if you're backing off sailing on HAL, you're letting the inconsiderate people win and you're losing out an experience that you enjoy.

Why would you choose to walk away from HAL, a cruise line you appear to enjoy, instead of just walking away from CruiseCritic...or at least the HAL board? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!!???

Archived