Sorry HAL...

piscesgal223

The busybody brigade may seem numerous on this board but once you are on the ship you will find that it is filled with wonderful, friendly people who mind their own business. Absolutely no hint of the narrow mindedness that sometimes comes across on the boards.

You are ineed correct. The "Clothes Police" have their badges confiscated at the metal detectors upon boarding!;)

Go to YouTube, bring up some HAL cruise videos (I'm sure someone has uploaded something) and look at the background to see how people really dress on cruises. Some lines have live webcam feeds so if someone is standing in the shot you can check them out as well. But really, once you're on the ship you'll notice a lot of people enjoying themselves and not paying attention to you (and your clothes) at all. If you're nude, I'll notice you but that's about it :)

So true.... the only outfits I can remember were my own (stunning by the way;)).. oh and one fellow that was literally wearing a green tarp ..other than that.. nope not a single recollection:) Except for the fact , most did seem to be clothed.:D

As long as you are wearing enough to be seen in public without getting arrested, you are fine with us. I couldn't care less what you are wearing but.....

Please reciprocate and give us the same consideration. I enjoy dressing up in the Tux on a cruise. I paid for the darn thing and it is the only way I'll ever get my money's worth. I intend to use it until it falls apart.

On our upcoming two week cruise to Alaska, we plan to do the Pinnacle Grill and on those occasions, our table mates choose to be attired in jacket and tie.

Depending on the temperature, we usually lose the jacket and tie after dinner while we take in the show. In nearly twenty cruises, no one has ever suggested that they care one way or the other. If it is cool on the ship, I reserve the right to keep the jacket on all evening. Or Not.

My friends, there is nothing in life of any less importance than what other people think. Enjoy your cruise, Bon Voyage and all that rot!!!:D

There have always been 'debates' on clothing on these boards [ and that probably won't change] BUT I have yet to go to a CC get-together where people weren't delightful and putting a name with a face/meeting the NON-member spouse [ such as my DH] or group of friends and planning a luncheon or some additional fun - these times sometimes MADE that particular cruise OR some people connected at the first MG so easily that they became non-cruise "friends" as well -ALL over the WORLD!

I've been reading [ not always commenting] for about 10 years here -and what I CHOOSE to believe is that READING the printed word is very different from seeing someone grin AT YOU impishly -so some humor falls flat a few times. This doesn't excuse rudeness but it CAN explain unintentional comments where no rudeness was intended.

The other thing is WRITING what you are QUICKLY feeling can bounce out at the reader in a way NEVER intended.

You WILL meet so MANY marvelous Holland America cruisers that you might want to just let the few slide......and meet the ones who greet you comfortably and easily because they just want to be LIKED -NOT want to be "In control of your mind" - and smile broadly and kindly....because THAT'S what HAL is!

Can't you ignore the "snobs"? Don't let them put you off HAL as there are so many other really nice people aboard the ships.

After formal dinners I am one of the people that went back to my cabin and changed into jeans and runners-sorry everyone, but I hadn't been able to find "dress shoes" that fit my orthotics. I didn't notice anyone being snobby to me at all-the rest of my family stayed dressed up except me knowing I had to do this. Hoping to find dress shoes for upcoming cruise in September that will fit with orthotics, but if not, I will be changing again into jeans & runners.

My husband could not fit dress shoes in his suitcase, so bought a new pair of black atheletic shoes and wore them on formal night. He has the orthotics issue too. They fit in the atheletic shoes. Worked very well...no one noticed and with pants on, any type of black shoe works!

I don't let anyone tell me what to wear. I wear clothes that are comfortable to formal night, sparkly top and dress slacks with low heels, no more high heels for me. DH wears a nice shirt, tie, sportcoat and matching slacks. This way these clothes can be interchanged for the other evenings. Less packing.

I love HAL and would not let anyone change my mind with their "strict" dress code. On our cruises I have not seen more than 25% of the pax wearing tuxes and gowns on formal nights. JMHO

@ANSalberg: I went to a meet and greet on my last HAL cruise and I couldn't have met a nicer group of people. I choose to think *they* are more typical of HAL cruisers.

BumperII:I don't mind if people wear tuxes or evening gowns.About the only comment you would get from me is "Nice duds!"

I've cruised on both the Amsterdam and Rotterdam over the Christmas/New Years holidays. I figure my dress clothes are really event wear--gauze pants and a dressy top or a nice pants suit.

I never feel out of place on my HAL cruises. I see many people dressing nicely (event wear) but not "formal" wear on my past cruises. Faith

I actually get the OP's sentiments as the exact same types of comments from the same group of people nearly turned me away before I'd ever set foot on my first cruise. Then I was reminded that I'd booked the trip for the itinerary and to see Alaska....period. Oddly, I never met any of those paragons of perfection while on board, nor were they found to be lurking at the entrance to the MDR, tasers in hand to zap those who didn't live up to their standards. As I said in another thread, they seem to be members of the same group who when I encounter them in airports, are fond of grabbing me by the backpack and telling me I can not get on the plane as they are only boarding first class. I smile and thank them for letting me know that I'm in the correct line, while a tiny part of me chuckles when they do the walk of shame past me to coach.

My first HAL experience was 3 years ago- to Mexico(loved it-and it was chosen because it was convenient for my parents and I-we live in San Diego). We met a lot of interesting people-that's been true of both of the HAL cruises I've been on. But at no time has anyone commented on what I was wearing.

My first HAL experience was 3 years ago- to Mexico(loved it-and it was chosen because it was convenient for my parents and I-we live in San Diego). We met a lot of interesting people-that's been true of both of the HAL cruises I've been on. But at no time has anyone commented on what I was wearing.

I would suggest that the best predictor of future cruise experiences would be past cruise experiences .

Cyberspace is a sorry excuse for real life ..but you know that already don't you ...I am sorry if your feelings were hurt on this site.. that's not what a "joy of cruising" forum should be about. Any unwelcome opinion voiced here should never be a determining factor in how you choose to vacation

My husband could not fit dress shoes in his suitcase, so bought a new pair of black atheletic shoes and wore them on formal night. He has the orthotics issue too. They fit in the atheletic shoes. Worked very well...no one noticed and with pants on, any type of black shoe works!

I did wear flat black shoes during the formal dinner but changed after because my feet just couldn't handle it. I did however, just find some nice black shoes that fit my orthotics and hopefully will be able to stay dressed up in September...we shall see! Maybe I should try to find some black athletic shoes though, just in case-good idea.:) Thanks!

Did someone here (CC) actually tell you that it was inappropriate? It sounds lovely to me!

Actually, she was told that her description sounded like it meets HAL's dress code.

Piscesgal seems to have a track record of reading things into posts that really aren't there.

Actually, she was told that her description sounded like it meets HAL's dress code.

Piscesgal seems to have a track record of reading things into posts that really aren't there.

Sorry Ruth C, but I have been turned off by the "never ending story of the Dress Code Police"! I read into Piscesgal's Post the same way. Do i really want to be confronted by these SNOBS?:mad:

Reading the same thing day after day about the "Dress Code Issue" would turn me off also!:rolleyes:

I wish it were easy. I want the freedom to wear a cocktail dress, or a silk blouse with linen trousers, or get a side table and wear a pretty, but casual outfit, and choose according to MY mood. I'm only against beachwear in the MDR. If I'm wearing that, I'm in the mood for a hot dog and some chips :D

I won't go on a cruiseline that expects black tie, and expensive dry clean only resort wear. I'd feel out of place the whole time.

I was really comfortable on our last HAL cruise. And we changed from our cocktail dress and charcoal suit after we had dinner, a photo, and a drink in the bar. What the heck, lots of brides change out of their dress for the reception. It would have been nice to take a few hours, maybe dance a little, but we always wore ourselves out early, and cocktails with a gorgeous late night sunset on the balcony was too irresistable.

I don't agree with the Black tie only people, and I am also against hairy legs under shorts and tank tops, or wornout t-shirts. I think those that feel like Formal should have their own seating area to preserve ambiance, but I think it's rediculous to expect the entire dining room to go formal.

Stay with HAL. It's really not that uppercrust to bail on them. And they have wonderful reasons to stay!

@Colleyberry: Thank you. And you'll be glad to know that HAL is back in consideration!

That's the spirit! Don't let a handful of people interfere with your choice to sail with HAL. Chances are, you won't encounter them in your cruise anyway. You have a much higher probability of encountering people who are friendly, relaxed, and fun to hang out with.

Really, I'm curious if anyone here has been pulled over by the HAL dress code patrol for allegedly violating HAL's suggested dress code. Well, have you? If so, let's hear about it. If we get enough stories, maybe I can pitch an idea for a reality TV series similar to Cops. :cool:

I'm right there with the people who think wearing bathing suits in the MDR is a no-no. Even my own mother makes my nieces and nephews change into regular clothes before they come to the dinner table( quite frequently they come over and swim and then we all have dinner)

Agreed. It's amazing how the anti-formal wear people criticize the pro-formal wear folks by setting up the straw man that formal on HAL means tux and ball gown. It doesn't, and it hasn't for years.

Pro-formal folks are asking that you follow HAL's definition of formal, which is nowhere near tux and ball gown.

As I said in another thread, they seem to be members of the same group who when I encounter them in airports, are fond of grabbing me by the backpack and telling me I can not get on the plane as they are only boarding first class. I smile and thank them for letting me know that I'm in the correct line, while a tiny part of me chuckles when they do the walk of shame past me to coach.

I had the same expereience at a Theatre. My Dad is not a big musical fan, I am. Occasionally for birthdays/Xmas he'll buy me a single ticket to whatever he thinks I'll like that's playing in Toronto. This experience happened a few years ago at the Lion King.

I was walking down the isle to my Dead Centre Orchestra seats when a man Roughly (!) grabbed my arm, looked down at me and in the snearing voice said... "Obviously our (indicating his snooty wife) seats are better than yours, STEP ASIDE."

So I did, with a smile. They entered the isle and I followed. Only to tap his shoulder to ask him to move so that I could get to my seat. I got to sit next to them, they left halfway through.

I guess they just couldn't take the fact that an underclass person like myself could afford the "best" seats. LOL.

Deb

I'm glad this thread has actually stayed really calm.

HAL is a good fit for me.When I start thinking about it, yes,it might be nice to branch out(I notice that quite a few people here have been on a few HAL ships, but they've also been on other cruise lines too.). I'll tell you what keeps me with HAL-the ports. They have some really good itineraries.

I don't agree with the Black tie only people,

And yet, in all these years participating in this board, I don't recall ever reading a post for "Black tie only". There are no such people posting such.

I've read thousands of posts that people dress "formally", as per HAL's code. But we all know that HAL's code isn't "formal" in the least. It's merely "dress up".

And yet, in all these years participating in this board, I don't recall ever reading a post for "Black tie only". There are no such people posting such.

I've read thousands of posts that people dress "formally", as per HAL's code. But we all know that HAL's code isn't "formal" in the least. It's merely "dress up".

Really? You must have missed the very long thread where some thought fully formal gowns and tuxes, which I would call black tie, were preferred, cocktail dresses and dark suits were marginal, and business casual would be passable if it's all you had. I'm not quoting, this was just impression.

The main argument was having to pack and pay for an extra suitcase on the air flight.

I think they should call it Festive Night instead of Formal Night.

It's not that I didn't like the classy experience of cruising on HAL(I did) but there are obviously pax who are, for lack of a better word, snobby when it comes to the dress code. So yeah,I'm going to go with another cruise line, as much as I don't want to give up cruising on HAL.

Snobby or slobby... you takes your chances. :D

Archived