Sorry HAL...

piscesgal223

To paraphrase Bill Clinton* It depends on what your definition of formal wear is. For some it's is the tux and gown(which I don't have a problem with), to what I was describing wearing earlier(the silk dress or a dressy top and skirt.)

*Not that I am in the habit of doing this often,but that "It depends upon what the meaning of what the word is is" quote is adaptable for a zillion different situations).

I think they should call it Festive Night instead of Formal Night.

I'd like to see what people would show up in for that. The sorry truth is that some people need guidance. I used to work for an oil company years ago and it was common for people to be told their outfit was not appropriate for the office....and it was true. They were not being picky. You would think people would have enough common sense. Turns out some don't.

Our first HAL cruise was with our teenage boys. Man I stressed after reading the posts!! I packed something new for each dinner and 2 sets of formal wear for all of us. Thankfully we drove to port. :D Felt like an idiot halfway through.

A few cruises later, this past March, my boys wanted to wear their jeans to smart casual dinners. :eek: Yep, I said. No rips, no holes, nice shirt. Formal nights are shirts, ties, dockers. The same ones BOTH nights!! They stood out less than the man picking his teeth with a knife, the bread being tossed across the table, the snapping of fingers to get attention, using napkins for a tissue,.......

I can honestly say- I do not remember a single outfit that anyone around me wore. I remember the manners but it surely did not damper what went on at our table. We had a great time enjoying our family time.

At the end of the cruise, at the end of my days, what will be remembered? My family had fun or the CC dress police approved? If I follow all their requirements do you think they will they leave me something in their wills?

Now the very best part.....after I post I get to see my countdown clock again!!

It depends on what your definition of formal wear is.

Nooooo. It depends on what HAL's definition of "formal wear" is. When you are sailing on HAL, it is HAL that gets to set the standard.

You just refuse to accept that HAL's definition is not limited to tux and ball gown. :rolleyes:

Snobby or slobby... you takes your chances. :D

Exactly. Good dichotomy. No one is being snobby stating they prefer formal nights to be formal. And no one is stating those who don't like formal nights are slobs. But accusations of being snobs does trigger this obvious counter slobby accusation. However, there is no need to enter into is a philosophical argument or a character judgement about the Formal Night option.

It is merely a request for a few hours that passengers honor the intent of that evening's activity -- which is Formal Night. Those who enjoy this option are not snobs, and those who choose instead to dine elsewhere are not slobs.

No comment on those who choose not to honor Formal Night and show up defiantly in the MDR anyway, as that is the stuff from which legendary threads are born. ;)

I'd like to see what people would show up in for that. The sorry truth is that some people need guidance. I used to work for an oil company years ago and it was common for people to be told their outfit was not appropriate for the office....and it was true. They were not being picky. You would think people would have enough common sense. Turns out some don't.

A very good point!

I'm glad this thread has actually stayed really calm.

HAL is a good fit for me.When I start thinking about it, yes,it might be nice to branch out(I notice that quite a few people here have been on a few HAL ships, but they've also been on other cruise lines too.). I'll tell you what keeps me with HAL-the ports. They have some really good itineraries.

Exactly; We've done 1 World cruise and 3 Asia/Pacific = all on the Amsterdam. I have to PINCH myself that it is me actually experiencing the World in the way -by SEA! I feel like Auntie Mame!!!!

My first HAL experience was 3 years ago- to Mexico(loved it-and it was chosen because it was convenient for my parents and I-we live in San Diego). We met a lot of interesting people-that's been true of both of the HAL cruises I've been on. But at no time has anyone commented on what I was wearing.

PiscesGal223, who has taken a grand total of two HAL cruises over the past 3 years, recently stunned the members of these boards by announcing she was leaving HAL for another cruise line! Real or perceived comments made on these boards regarding dress codes were given as the reason. Members of this Board were stunned by the news and implored her to reconsider. She now acknowledges that no one has ever commented to her directly about what she was wearing and she has agreed to reconsider her decision to leave HAL. OH HAPPY DAY! The crises is averted.

RonJoan

Exactly; We've done 1 World cruise and 3 Asia/Pacific = all on the Amsterdam. I have to PINCH myself that it is me actually experiencing the World in the way -by SEA! I feel like Auntie Mame!!!!

I would LOVE to do the world cruise..someday, perhaps!:cool:

People who dine elsewhere(like the Lido) are NOT slobs..but I get a perception that that =pariah. But it could just be me.

PiscesGal223, who has taken a grand total of two HAL cruises over the past 3 years, recently stunned the members of these boards by announcing she was leaving HAL for another cruise line! Real or perceived comments made on these boards regarding dress codes were given as the reason. Members of this Board were stunned by the news and implored her to reconsider. She now acknowledges that no one has ever commented to her directly about what she was wearing and she has agreed to reconsider her decision to leave HAL. OH HAPPY DAY! The crises is averted.

RonJoan

:p This should do wonders for my CCL stock as well!

Really? You must have missed the very long thread where some thought fully formal gowns and tuxes, which I would call black tie, were preferred, cocktail dresses and dark suits were marginal, and business casual would be passable if it's all you had. I'm not quoting, this was just impression.

I agree with RuthC! I cannot ever recall a thread in the last 9 months that advocated what you said in your post. Those that support adherence to the published HAL policy and who are derisively referred to by insulting names by those who don't, consistently support the policy as written. It establishes equal acceptance to tuxes, dark business suits and to sport coats worn with appropriate shirts and ties. With all due respect, impressions are like wisps of smoke. I challenge you to give us some references to the thread(s) and particular posts you are referring to. I'll bet you can't.

RonJoan

RonJoan

Love it! :D

With all due respect, impressions are like wisps of smoke. I challenge you to give us some references to the thread(s) and particular posts you are referring to. I'll bet you can't.

RonJoan

I disagree. Impressions are a huge part of being human. Impressions are the beginning of love, hate, and preference, to name just a few.

A challenge? Seriously? To begin with, we don't know each other. I read your comment and may consider it, or I may not. Each comment on here is just that, a random comment from someone we don't know. Not knowing you, accepting a challenge is pointless, because my level of concern is minimal at best. I am responding now, because my impression of you, judged solely by type written words on a screen, is that you are intelligent enough to have an interchange with.

I agree with you and Ruth C that the dress code that HAL dictates is clear. But some people on here have their own way of interpreting it and their own definition of formal wear. Since this can be such a fluid interpretation, the first thing I did was check to see what their rental formal wear looked like, since that would be an accurate representation of what their expectations are.

Something prompted PiscesGal223 to create this thread to begin with. I believe that she got the same dismal impression from a thread that I did. Everyone will react differently to what is said on any given post.

I'd dig up an example, but I think it would be unnecessarily antagonistic to the random person I chose to quote. I didn't single anyone out on the original thread, so I'm not going to here.

Since we don't disagree on the definition of formal wear, can we put aside the challenge gloves and be CC friends?

If you do not want to cruise on HAL then don't. I think the people are very friendly on HAL, notwithstanding the few on this board. But to be brutally frank whether you choose a HAL cruise or some other line will have absolutely no impact on the people on this board, the customers on the cruise, or on HAL.

So, it may be a good idea for you to just stop moaning, make a decision and move forward. This has taken on the attributes of attention seeking behaviour. And if others on the board are like me, we do not necessarily need to know what that decision is.

I disagree. Impressions are a huge part of being human. Impressions are the beginning of love, hate, and preference, to name just a few.

A challenge? Seriously? To begin with, we don't know each other. I read your comment and may consider it, or I may not. Each comment on here is just that, a random comment from someone we don't know. Not knowing you, accepting a challenge is pointless, because my level of concern is minimal at best. I am responding now, because my impression of you, judged solely by type written words on a screen, is that you are intelligent enough to have an interchange with.

I agree with you and Ruth C that the dress code that HAL dictates is clear. But some people on here have their own way of interpreting it and their own definition of formal wear. Since this can be such a fluid interpretation, the first thing I did was check to see what their rental formal wear looked like, since that would be an accurate representation of what their expectations are.

Something prompted PiscesGal223 to create this thread to begin with. I believe that she got the same dismal impression from a thread that I did. Everyone will react differently to what is said on any given post.

I'd dig up an example, but I think it would be unnecessarily antagonistic to the random person I chose to quote. I didn't single anyone out on the original thread, so I'm not going to here.

Since we don't disagree on the definition of formal wear, can we put aside the challenge gloves and be CC friends?

Impressions aside, the FACT remains that there is virtually NO posting traffic on these boards that advocates Black Tie and Tuxes as the sole or strongly preferred dress for HA-defined "Formal" nights. It is a bogey-man created by others and promoted by you and others as an "impression" and often falsely as a fact to discredit those of us who like the HA policy as written and would like to see it followed. RuthC has been hovering over these boards for years and posting almost every day and she believes there is no one advocating Black-tie only and she told you so. Don't offer me impressions or platitudes. Offer me threads or posting references. And don't discuss your thoughts on whether I'm smart enough to talk to.

Even your example of HA renting Tuxes is slanted. They rent tuxes because most people do not have one. Not because HAL insists you wear one for God's sake.

I'm done with this subject. I wish you well.

RonJoan

Impressions aside, the FACT remains that there is virtually NO posting traffic on these boards that advocates Black Tie and Tuxes as the sole or strongly preferred dress for HA-defined "Formal" nights. It is a bogey-man created by others and promoted by you and others as an "impression" and often falsely as a fact to discredit those of us who like the HA policy as written and would like to see it followed. RuthC has been hovering over these boards for years and posting almost every day and she believes there is no one advocating Black-tie only and she told you so. Don't offer me impressions or platitudes. Offer me threads or posting references. And don't discuss your thoughts on whether I'm smart enough to talk to.

Even your example of HA renting Tuxes is slanted. They rent tuxes because most people do not have one. Not because HAL insists you wear one for God's sake.

RonJoan

OMG, what did I do to you???????

I said nothing about a Bogey-man. I agreed with you. And I thought I was pretty open minded about everything. All I said is that ALL manner of pleasant dress should be accepted!!

This is exactly what I said:

I wish it were easy. I want the freedom to wear a cocktail dress, or a silk blouse with linen trousers, or get a side table and wear a pretty, but casual outfit, and choose according to MY mood. I'm only against beachwear in the MDR. If I'm wearing that, I'm in the mood for a hot dog and some chips :D

I won't go on a cruiseline that expects black tie, and expensive dry clean only resort wear. I'd feel out of place the whole time. This was in reference to the high end cruise lines.

I was really comfortable on our last HAL cruise. And we changed from our cocktail dress and charcoal suit after we had dinner, a photo, and a drink in the bar. What the heck, lots of brides change out of their dress for the reception. It would have been nice to take a few hours, maybe dance a little, but we always wore ourselves out early, and cocktails with a gorgeous late night sunset on the balcony was too irresistable.

I don't agree with the Black tie only people, and I am also against hairy legs under shorts and tank tops, or wornout t-shirts. I think those that feel like Formal should have their own seating area to preserve ambiance, but I think it's rediculous to expect the entire dining room to go formal.

Stay with HAL. It's really not that uppercrust to bail on them. And they have wonderful reasons to stay!

Why do you feel the need to chastise me and beat me down?

Why are you so antagonistic and MEAN? I have NEVER used the derogatory names people have come up with for highly opinionated people. I see NO Bogeymen! I see people with differing opinions!

And, for God's sake, I said I looked at their rentals for an example!

i disagree. Impressions are a huge part of being human. Impressions are the beginning of love, hate, and preference, to name just a few.

A challenge? Seriously? To begin with, we don't know each other. I read your comment and may consider it, or i may not. Each comment on here is just that, a random comment from someone we don't know. Not knowing you, accepting a challenge is pointless, because my level of concern is minimal at best. I am responding now, because my impression of you, judged solely by type written words on a screen, is that you are intelligent enough to have an interchange with.

I agree with you and ruth c that the dress code that hal dictates is clear. But some people on here have their own way of interpreting it and their own definition of formal wear. Since this can be such a fluid interpretation, the first thing i did was check to see what their rental formal wear looked like, since that would be an accurate representation of what their expectations are.

Something prompted piscesgal223 to create this thread to begin with. I believe that she got the same dismal impression from a thread that i did. Everyone will react differently to what is said on any given post.

I'd dig up an example, but i think it would be unnecessarily antagonistic to the random person i chose to quote. I didn't single anyone out on the original thread, so i'm not going to here.

Since we don't disagree on the definition of formal wear, can we put aside the challenge gloves and be cc friends?

+1!!

RonJoan

Okay, now that that crisis has been averted, on to the next item on the agenda.

Piscesgal.....Do you smoke ? :)

impressions aside, the fact remains that there is virtually no posting traffic on these boards that advocates black tie and tuxes as the sole or strongly preferred dress for ha-defined "formal" nights. It is a bogey-man created by others and promoted by you and others as an "impression" and often falsely as a fact to discredit those of us who like the ha policy as written and would like to see it followed. Ruthc has been hovering over these boards for years and posting almost every day and she believes there is no one advocating black-tie only and she told you so. Don't offer me impressions or platitudes. Offer me threads or posting references. And don't discuss your thoughts on whether i'm smart enough to talk to.

Even your example of ha renting tuxes is slanted. They rent tuxes because most people do not have one. Not because hal insists you wear one for god's sake.

Ronjoan

-1!!

Archived