Flight out of Miami?

If you really really HAVE to make a flight that early, you can.....

But it means really really worrying worrying about the ship getting in on time,

really really really worrying worrying about the ship clearing customs early enough,

really really really worrying worrying about having to be the first off the ship, (remember - there are 6000 other passengers)

really worrying worrying about you getting through customs,

really worrying worrying about getting transportation on time to make that 45 to 50 minute drive to Miami,

really really worrying worrying about getting through security at Miami and then to your gate on time.....

If any one or two of those steps has any delays (and you should know that most likely there will be), you won't make it.

Do yourself a favor and book a later flight - say around 2 or 3 pm.

You should relax that last morning - you are still on a cruise.

Hope This Helps.

I have flown from/to both airports (live in the area). Can you make it, yes. Would I recommend Miami over Fort Lauderdale, no. When family comes to visit (which is quite often), it is cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale, much easier to get into and out of, and (in this case) much closer to the Port. Miami traffic can be horrendous, and one accident can snarl traffic for over an hour. So, again, yes you can do it, but I would recommend Fort Lauderdale.

Disclaimer to fellow CC members: This is just my opinion. There is no need to flame me and tell me that I am wrong or that your opinion is worth more.

I agree you can make it if you carry your bags off. If to many bags then ask for the number 1 or 2 number ticket ( when I was on they allowed 1-12 first as a bunch. You get off on deck 5 so eat early thern go to deck 5 and walk off when called or have your bags and walk off around 6:30 - 7 am.

Thanks for all the responses!

We thought maybe we had enough points to book a flight on American out of Miami, but it turns out they expired (DH's business flights).

No big deal. We just hate FLL as there is usually no place to sit and you're not allowed through security until a couple of hours before your flight (and most to DC are late afternoon). Arriving back on Saturday, so maybe we'll stay over and relax. :)

We just hate FLL as there is usually no place to sit and you're not allowed through security until a couple of hours before your flight (and most to DC are late afternoon).

Really? I got off the Oasis EARRRLLLY to try and catch an earlier flight home. (I was at the airport by 7:30am) My flight wasn't for hours (4pm), and I went through security and sat at my gate. I had no problem going through security. I wonder why that happened to you.

I also much prefer FLL to Miami airport, but perhaps it differs by airline. The security to check-in and get through US Air was horrific and then there can be a really LONG walk to your gate.

Melissa,

The few times we've flown in and out of FLL have been a nightmare. We weren't even allowed to go through security until no more than 1-2 hours before our flight. After our first cruise (when we had no idea whatsoever), we got to FLL about 4 hours before our flight and had to sit on the floor over the baggage area. We finally wised up and went down to the baggage where there was a bench.

In March upon arrival, we saw people sitting on the floor all over the place. I know it's under renovation, but it didn't look like much had been accomplished.

We've been taking the cruiseline's FLL excursion, just to kill time! We've run out of options for next year (unless we want to take the bus to the mall)!

At this point, it all just depends on airfare whether we use FLL or MIA (and either IAD or DCA up here).

Arriving back on Saturday, so maybe we'll stay over and relax. :)

This is exactly what we're doing. We couldn't make any of the morning flights (I won't book anything before 12pm) and the next one for us would have been at 5:45pm that afternoon. My very smart hubby said he'd rather be sitting by a hotel pool for the day and fly home early the next morning.....so I booked a hotel for Sat night & flight coming home Sunday morning.:)

The few times we've flown in and out of FLL have been a nightmare.

That's nuts.

That one trip I spent A LOT of time in FLL (obviously, I didn't catch the earlier flight), but at least I had a comfy chair to read in.

We thought maybe we had enough points to book a flight on American out of Miami, but it turns out they expired (DH's business flights).

No big deal. We just hate FLL as there is usually no place to sit and you're not allowed through security until a couple of hours before your flight (and most to DC are late afternoon). Arriving back on Saturday, so maybe we'll stay over and relax. :)

This would be the low stress way to go. Extend your vacation by a day and spend your time relaxing by a hotel pool or stay at a Ft. Lauderdale beach hotel and enjoy. Then fly home the next morning. :D

By the way, American Airlines currently has a promotion where you can have expired miles reinstated for no fee. If you have under 50,000 expired miles, you basically just have to "sign up" for what they are calling a "Reengagement Challenge" and complete a round trip flight of at least 750 miles each way. You have to do a bit more to reinstate 50,000+ miles.

Here is a link with more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/853159-reengagement-challenges-reactivate-restore-expired-miles-consolidated.html

If you are still considering MIA, here's what I recently posted when someone asked if they could make a 10:50AM *international* flight after an Allure cruise:

We were on Oasis in June with a group of 21 people. 2 people from our party had an 11:00AM international flight out of MIA that morning, and they made it with no problem at all. Here's what we did:

- None of us were interested in doing the Express Departure where you carry your own bags. It was too hard since we had a lot of kids with us. We made sure to have the earliest luggage tags from the ship. Because we were Diamond members and suite guests, this was no problem. I believe the scheduled departure time from the ship was 6:50 - 7:10, but we ran a little late and didn't leave until about 7:15.

- We got off the ship and immediately had a porter help us with our luggage. He whisked us through customs, and deposited our luggage across the street in the bus holding area. This was all done by 7:40.

- We had arranged for a private mini bus to take us to the airport, and had asked the driver to be there at 8:00. He was there on time, and it took just a few minutes to pack everyone up. I'm not certain exactly what time we got to MIA, but it was probably a few minutes before 9:00.

I realize that things could go wrong, but honestly, it was no problem and no stress for us.

Archived