Lot's of questions

louva

Yes I have already posted here and have got a lot of great responses. But I have tons of questions. You all maybe getting sick of me. Anyway questions?

In Barbados... where is the best place to swim with the turtles? I don't want to be swimming with a ton of people and feeling sorry for the turtles. Also in the rainforest where would you find the best one and what would you find? Animals? Waterfalls?

We did the feed the turtles with Stephen Tryhane and snorkeled over to two wrecks 75' apart. You do not feed them, the dive master does as you could get your fingers eaten but you watch. Take a throw-a-way underwater camera to take pictures. His tour is 3 hours and he is VERY much aware of the time to get you back to the ship in plenty of time before sailaway.

Stephen has a power boat that goes 35-40 knots. The ship's tour catamarand goes 8-10 knots. With Stephen you get there faster and have more time to snorkel. We had 6 with us, all from the Roll Call - and two tablemates of ours-not the 30-40 with the ship's tour. Tablemates were late but we waited for them. The tablemate did not know that camafloge (?sp?) shorts should not be worn in the Barbadoes because that's what gangs wear and the police would have been on him so he went back to change. They actually called Stephan when we got into the port to join us- his local cell is 243-9200.

Go to thriller-ocean-tours@caribsurf.com and you'll see about this tour. Stephan will also email you back with even more info and how to get to him.

The first time we booked with him he met us and told us it was too rough so he had to cancel but the 2nd time were were in the Barbadoes we did go with him and it was favorite cruise tour! Oh, we went on New Year's day. We will go with him again next time we are there.

We went on a catamaran "snorkelling with turtles" ship's excursion in Barbados - one of the few ship's excursions that have ever tempted me. Certainly not crowded - for us or the turtles. Bear in mind they're not big, mebbe around 9". But plenty of them, and other underwater sights too, lots of colour, very clear water. An excellent trip.

Barbados isn't the place for "rainforest".

Strictly-speaking Barbados isn't even in the Caribbean. There's lots of mini-climates in the Caribbean - dry scrubby islands like Aruba or Bonaire or Antigua, and lush rainforests in St Lucia, St Vincent, Grenada, Dominica etc. Plenty of waterfalls & flora in the rainforests, but little wildlife.

JB :)

The turtles we saw with Stephen were BIG. When I tried to let a turtle pull me both arms were far apart, not straight in front of me. And there were no other boats at the same spot. The turtles swam to us when we got there!

Had to smile with the comment about "feeling sorry for the turtles." Please understand that you are talking about sea turtles who are in their natural element (the sea). If a turtle does not want to be around humans they will simply swim away or avoid areas frequented by swimmers. We love to snorkel and dive and will normally let sea turtles make up their own minds. In some cases they will swim right up to a human (perhaps they are curious or lonely) and in other cases they will quickly more away in the opposite direction.

Hank

Archived