When you bought your DSLR...

Faster focus, better low light performance, faster shot to shot, and more flexibility in lenses for the moment. I am chasing something moving faster and faster every year :eek:

D40 18-55, 18-200 and 70-300

D300 16-85 added and D40 sold

D700 added all the above lense sold and a bunch of FX glass added

Still too slow so D3s and D7000 added and some more FX and DX glass.

Your camera can never be too fast when you are shooting something moving faster and faster every year

:D

What was your top feature you wanted in the camera?

I think the chief advantage a DSLR has over other cameras is low-light performance, which is achieved with the combination of fast lenses and more capable sensors.

For that you pay a hefty price in initial cost, weight of the goods, and inconvenience of having so many lenses to work with.

But you see smiles on the faces of people doing it...

While there are other advantages of a DSLR as chipmaster mentioned, a lot of the smaller compact cameras are pretty impressive in one or the other features. But none of them can come close to the low-light performance of the DSLRs.

Of course these are general statements as any one individual camera can provide a good or bad example to the contrary.

For me, I started with a D70; gave that to my son, and now have a D90. At present, I am concentrating my available camera funds to upgrading my glass as that is really what you want to improve most, especially given that you will own good glass a lot longer than any camera body.

I am looking to upgrade my D90 to a D700 class camera (hopefully it's replacement) in a year or two.

It was the move back to interchangeable lenses like I remembered from the film days and the reduced depth of field from the larger sensor. Just before I bought my Maxxum 7D, I was shooting with a Minolta A2 digicam. It had 8MP, sensor-based stabilization, an extremely good 28-200mm equivalent lens and full manual control. It really was a great camera (my daughter is still using it) but the lure of interchangeable lenses and the larger sensor won me over.

Now I am hooked on DSLRs and the interchangeable lens large-sensor compacts like the NEX.

Lately, I am even more intrigued by the rumors of a Sony modular camera that would allow you to attach a mirrorless NEX camera body to a module with an optical or hybrid electronic viewfinder with advanced autofocus and a mount for the larger Alpha-series lenses. Pop the module off and attach a smaller E-series lens when you need the portability...snap it all back together when you need the performance!

Good times to be a photographer!

Dave

Mine too is more complex than a single driving feature. I moved into DSLRs 3 or 4 years ago because I needed faster and better focus systems, faster burst shooting, larger buffer, better high ISO ability, faster shooting response time, an optical viewfinder to avoid the lag of an electronic one, and the ability to change lenses as needed. At the same time, I am a big night shooter, and the value of a fast live view system was well known - Sony being the only DSLR maker with a quick, usable live view made it an easy choice for me.

When I needed to upgrade my DSLR similar to Chipmaster (chasing faster things), I needed even better low light performance, faster focus, better focus tracking, faster burst shooting, faster response, bigger buffer, and better battery life, all while maintaining the usable live view, tilting LCD, stabilization in-body, and preferably compatibility with my current lenses. Sony having the compatibility with current lenses, and still the only usable live view, made them once again the easy choice and I still use the A550 today.

Like Dave, I also found myself interested in the mirrorless NEX system as a second body alongside my DSLR - lighter, smaller, yet with the same APS-C sensor, I can get a more portable version of my DSLR quality to act as a second or as a replacement body when I want to go lighter...and still change lenses, get the low light performance, and the tilt LCD and live view.

Most of my shooting is wildlife, so speed and focus are essential, with long lenses and an optical viewfinder. But a good percentage of my remaining shooting is night long exposures off a tripod, where there isn't anything more convenient and wonderful than a tilting LCD and real-time live view system. So far, Sony is still the only one making the type of system that can cover both bases for me, so that's kept me with them. I'm fully confident of the excellence of the other brands too, and for some, those may be perfect for them too. But ergonomics and features are individual things, and we all should definitely buy for our own needs rather than someone else's!

I wanted something with a fast shutter speed and decent low light performance. I also wanted something that was easy to use and lightweight. I ended up buying the Nikon D40 three years ago and haven't been disappointed.

My Nikon DSLR photos still do not come close in quality in my opinion to the photos from my Nikon FM that I had for 30 years.

I still like my D60 and all the money I am saving on film.

I'm scanning a lot of old images lately and I've found that most of the slides that looked great projected on the screen are technically inferior to the quality and consistency I get from My A700 and NEX. (Though, I must admit..some of them were pretty darn good!) Even my 10MP HX5V compact can produce excellent and very printable enlargements.

I am still living in the renaissance age that digital brought to my photography both in cost and the quality of the images. "Which is better, film or digital" isn't even worth a debate to me anymore. I find I can trust the digital capture quality to take care of itself and concentrate more on the image.

Livin' the dream! :D

Dave

My DSLR was prompted from a suggestion from my wife...who wanted to us to upgrade our three year old point and shoot camera. Get something that would take good pictures, under varioius circumstances, on our cruise vacations and elsewhere. Two tripods, one flash, one big bag, one battery grip, and six lenses later, she may be regretting that suggestion. :D

I shot film and did my own darkroom work until Photoshop 6 was released. About 2 months after I had figured out how to use Photoshop, I sold the chemical darkroom set up! I then bought a Nikon Scanner and continued shooting film until the Nikon D300 came out. The D300 was the first camera I found that could shoot in low light without becoming extremely noisy. I now am waiting for the Nikon D5s to be released for my next upgrade.;)

My DSLR was prompted from a suggestion from my wife...who wanted to us to upgrade our three year old point and shoot camera. Get something that would take good pictures, under varioius circumstances, on our cruise vacations and elsewhere. Two tripods, one flash, one big bag, one battery grip, and six lenses later, she may be regretting that suggestion. :D

:D....that is funny!

Like many others have said, I was looking for something that enabled me to take good action shots of my kids and also the ability to shoot in low light. I went from a basic point and shoot to the Canon Rebel T2i and I love the camera. Just took it to an aquarium today with the kids and got some shots that I never would have been able to get with the old camera. Can't wait to use it on our cruise.

You are going to skip the D4 and go right to the D5? That is long range planning.

No, I am going to skip the D4, the D4s and the D5 until the D5s comes out! By then the bells and whistles will be worthwhile and the kinks from the new release will have been ironed out!:D

I bought my current camera, EOS 5D, because I really wanted a full frame CMOS sensor and good low light capabilities. I previously had a Fufi S1 Pro and an S2 Pro, both had cropped sensors, and were very noisy in low light, high ISO, situations.

As I transition from a part-time professional to an amateur, other features are becoming more important. While I never previously missed the built in popup flash, I'm finding that I could use it now. I never thought I'd ever want HD recording in my DSLR, but after spending a week on vacation with my family, I can see times where I wish I had it.

I bought my current camera, EOS 5D, because I really wanted a full frame CMOS sensor and good low light capabilities. I previously had a Fufi S1 Pro and an S2 Pro, both had cropped sensors, and were very noisy in low light, high ISO, situations.

As I transition from a part-time professional to an amateur, other features are becoming more important. While I never previously missed the built in popup flash, I'm finding that I could use it now. I never thought I'd ever want HD recording in my DSLR, but after spending a week on vacation with my family, I can see times where I wish I had it.

Thank you for posting and for pointing out some concerns.

• 3 weeks later...
What was your top feature you wanted in the camera?

I already had a Nikon D80, which was a great camera, but just too heavy. I sort of stepped down to the Nikon D5000, also a great camera but it feels lighter and much better balanced.

I also sold my 18-200mm lens. It was never really sharp, plus it was also heavy! It seems like a good idea so you don't have to change lenses as often, but I found it wasn't worth carrying it around. I've got an 18-55 and a 55-200 lens, and frankly I don't even use the zoom that much. But even carrying both lenses together still doesn't weigh me down like the big zoom lens.

Definitely handle the camera before you buy and see how it feels.

I already had a Nikon D80, which was a great camera, but just too heavy. I sort of stepped down to the Nikon D5000, also a great camera but it feels lighter and much better balanced.

I also sold my 18-200mm lens. It was never really sharp, plus it was also heavy! It seems like a good idea so you don't have to change lenses as often, but I found it wasn't worth carrying it around. I've got an 18-55 and a 55-200 lens, and frankly I don't even use the zoom that much. But even carrying both lenses together still doesn't weigh me down like the big zoom lens.

I love you honesty. I don't care for the people who feel they have the BEST, and nothing is wrong with the product. You bought something then realized it didn't suit you. And that's something I could appreciate, learning from someone else. Thank you for your post.

Nikon folks.

What is your opinion of the D5100?

I already know the specs.

Has anyone had actual experience with this model.

I am very enamored with the D5100. At the end of the day it is the images that matter, and the D5100 produces professional-grade images. On trips and other occasions I am often found carrying around a camera, and the light weight and small size of the d5100 make it a joy to use. More and more I find myself reaching for the D5100 instead of my bigger, near pro-grade cameras. In fact, the more I use the D5100 the more convinced I am that it is pretty close to being pro-grade itself. Its size, weight, and capabilities, combined with its price, make the D5100 an excellent choice for many users. Highly recommended.

I am very enamored with the D5100. At the end of the day it is the images that matter, and the D5100 produces professional-grade images. On trips and other occasions I am often found carrying around a camera, and the light weight and small size of the d5100 make it a joy to use. More and more I find myself reaching for the D5100 instead of my bigger, near pro-grade cameras. In fact, the more I use the D5100 the more convinced I am that it is pretty close to being pro-grade itself. Its size, weight, and capabilities, combined with its price, make the D5100 an excellent choice for many users. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the reply.

I've used a D50 with a 24-120 lens for years.

I'm thinking of giving it to a relative and getting the D5100 for myself.

What lens do you have on your D5100?

I'm thinking of buying body only and getting a "travel" lens.

That is the biggest reason to go to a bricks and mortar location to buy your first cameras. Only the camera that feels good in your hand and doesn't weigh you down is going to be used. On-line shopping does not let you do a true comparison, as touch and feel are completely left out. Support your local camera store, even if it is one of the big box locations!

Thanks for the reply.

I've used a D50 with a 24-120 lens for years.

I'm thinking of giving it to a relative and getting the D5100 for myself.

What lens do you have on your D5100?

I'm thinking of buying body only and getting a "travel" lens.

Have the Nikon 18-200mm, it's small and covers a good range for a carry round. Also takes great videos. Lot of good reviews on Amazon.com

good luck

Have the Nikon 18-200mm, it's small and covers a good range for a carry round. Also takes great videos. Lot of good reviews on Amazon.com

good luck

Thank you. I was looking at the 18-200 but read a bunch of awful reviews. Happy to hear you have good luck with it.

My 24-120 had some bad reviews, too, but it has been perfect for many years.

I don't want a slew of lenses to tote around. I hauled that sort of thing around for nearly 30 years. Now, DH thinks he should carry part of the load, but as far as he's concerned, if it doesn't fit in his pocket he's not going to take a picture with it. He doesn't know a thing aboout f-stops but he's great at composition.

Archived